Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3171207 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #690 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:50 pm »
Is there a reciprocal thing where Budweiser will be offering the same thing to six Belgian cities?

Taking the Belgian beer experience to new heights, Stella Artois has commenced its 15th annual World Draught Masters competition that asks consumers to demonstrate mastery of the iconic Stella Artois 9-Step Pouring Ritual. Six major U.S. cities are currently holding regional competitions where beer enthusiasts are trained in the 9-Step Pouring Ritual, then showcase their command of the process.
Doors open at 9 p.m this Friday at the National Building Museum. So go drink complimentary Stella Artois to your heart's content! All you have to do is RSVP to Championships@DraughtMasterUSA.com

brennser

« Reply #691 on: October 06, 2011, 04:38:38 pm »
CBS  is flowing at pizzeria Paradiso dupont. Stop on by!

i am gay and i like cats

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #693 on: October 07, 2011, 10:21:53 pm »
Tonite it was Firestone's Double Jack Double IPA.  Not bad at all.

Darth Ed

« Reply #694 on: October 09, 2011, 04:58:24 am »
Finally had a Fat Tire on draft recently and was pretty disappointed. A friend of mine originally from Seattle brought back some bottled Fat Tire years ago, and I had very pleasant memories of it. Not sure if my palate has changed or if Fat Tire has changed. Probably a bit of both.

The Old Stein Inn (Edgewater, MD) reopened in late August, and I want twice in September. Great assortment of German beers. The food isn't quite as good as before the New Year's Eve fire which shut them down for 8+ months (new chef, I suspect), but it's still damn good. As for their beers, I'm a big fan of the Franziskanner, Ayinger, and Erdinger breweries. I usually finish the meal off with Lindeman's Framboise Lambic.

http://www.oldstein-inn.com/menu.php?page=bier&item=draught
http://www.oldstein-inn.com/menu.php?page=bier&item=bottle

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #696 on: October 12, 2011, 06:51:57 pm »
recent purchases, mainly sixers of singles and some four packs

1.  founders - breakfast stout four pack  (whoa . . . damn . . . now that a man's beer!)
2.  abita - harvest wit (refreshing and light nice)
3.  boulder beer - mojo risin'  (double ipa) (double pucker and killer after taste)
4.  dominion - octoberfest (decent enough)
5.  new castle - winter ipa (crap . . . these new castle variations all taste the same)
6.  widmer brothers - okto festival ale (good for never heard of before)
7.  ayinger - brau weiss four pack (not as good as ocktoberfest)
8.  Orion tall bottles  (it is funny . . . in Japan, this is considered the worst, but i love it)

James Ford

« Reply #697 on: October 12, 2011, 07:21:11 pm »
Tonight:

Three Floyds Alpha King...brought to us by the Indiana in-laws
Dieu de Ciel's Peche Mortel...brought home from trip to Montreal

Tomorrow:

Alesmith IPA...brought home from West Coast trip

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #698 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:42 pm »
Tried a bottle of Clutch beer last week. It was okay. Pretty much agree with others on here. First off, it easily passed my stomach test. It's the taste that, to me, was only so so. Definitely an acquired taste due to both the sour side and that heavy burnt carbon taste.

Drank a Young's Double Chocolate Stout a couple nights ago. That was nice though I think I'd prefer it with a tad bit of sweetness.

Jaguar

« Reply #699 on: October 12, 2011, 07:51:26 pm »
Sitting in the refrigerator:

Southern Tier's Krampus Imperial Helles Lager
Abita Purple Haze
Banana Bread Beer

Plan to try one later though don't know yet which one.

imbecile

« Reply #700 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:16 am »

Drank a Young's Double Chocolate Stout a couple nights ago. That was nice though I think I'd prefer it with a tad bit of sweetness.

I had a Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti (Imperial Stout) from Great Divide last night.  Well, I had half of a glass until our puppy decided she wanted to knock it over.

It had the sweetness that you were probably looking for.  It was a little much for me, as it covered up a lot of the roasty flavors/smells I like in big stouts.  I usually fall back to comparing everything to dogfish head beers, and in this regard it was Palo Santo Marron, but with a bit less coffee taste and a decent amount more caramel sweetness.  All in all, a very good beer, but at $9 a bottle (Perfect Pour) the Stone 15th is much more up my alley.

Jaguar

« Reply #701 on: October 13, 2011, 11:23:55 am »
I had a Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti (Imperial Stout) from Great Divide last night.  Well, I had half of a glass until our puppy decided she wanted to knock it over.

That sounds good and I'll keep it in mind if I see it around. I get what you say about it hiding the other flavors. Don't really want those hidden either. Then again, won't know until I try one.

Sorry about the half loss. Reminds me of a story that my mother told me. There was some guy who lived here who had a dog that died of cirrhosis of the liver. Every night, the two of them would sit around drinking their six packs. This dog loved beer! Drank a six pack every night.

Had the Abita Purple Haze last night. Loved the color. The beer was nice too and easy to drink. A nice choice for when I want a more traditional and lighter tasting beer.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #702 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:55 am »
I prefer a thick creamy and sweet stout when going dark. Which would you suggest? I've had a few others but tend to go back to Guinness providing it's on draft. The cans and bottles are barely even worth cooking with. Shame they can't properly preserve that quality in a packaged good.

jag - get thee to bell's special double cream stout.  VERY smooth and creamy, low on the smoke/burnt flavors.  i question their claim that it doesn't contain any actual cream ;D  

i'm not the biggest fans of stouts, but this one gets a thumbs up.
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #703 on: October 13, 2011, 11:57:37 am »
I prefer a thick creamy and sweet stout when going dark. Which would you suggest? I've had a few others but tend to go back to Guinness providing it's on draft. The cans and bottles are barely even worth cooking with. Shame they can't properly preserve that quality in a packaged good.

jag - get thee to bell's special double cream stout.  VERY smooth and creamy, low on the smoke/burnt flavors.  i question their claim that it doesn't contain any actual cream ;D  

i'm not the biggest fans of stouts, but this one gets a thumbs up.

Will do, if I can find one. I need to get up to Delaware at some point and suspect I might have a better chance of finding some of the harder to find selections there.

Actually, I don't mind the smokey flavors at all. It was just that the Clutch beer taste liked it was brewed with excessive burnt scrapings from an old and well used oven. You know, the real kind of 'cake' that Maria Antoinette was talking about when she spoke her infamous quote. In fact, I think that Clutch beer should be the official beer of the OWS movement. Let them drink cake on the Prison Planet!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #704 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:51 pm »
anything involving clutch . . . is doomed to be horrible.  it's ok to admit this.  have a allagash white, like i am, and relax in the thought of it.