Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3171268 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #735 on: October 20, 2011, 01:37:37 pm »
But in an effort to maintain my current weight, I need a co-drinker to drink half!

i'll be working in McLean most of next week, lemme know what night you wanna crack open a CBS.  i'm there for ya.

in other news: livingsocial deal of the day is $20 for a $40 beer tasting class (or $25 for a $60 sushi-making class) http://livingsocial.com/deals/135755
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #736 on: October 20, 2011, 02:28:58 pm »
But in an effort to maintain my current weight, I need a co-drinker to drink half!

I can't imagine you'd have a hard time getting someone to fill in for her.

Or you could run 20 miles every morning and drink to your heart's content.  That's what I'd do  ;D

James Ford

« Reply #737 on: October 21, 2011, 10:37:01 am »
Well I think my wife is going to drink the CBS after all. Each 6.5 oz serving is about 150 calories, I would guess. Anybody else who has had it have a food pairing recommendation? I'm thinking it's best just savored as a standalone.

And speaking of pairing, anybody have a beer they like with pasta with red sauce? Or is  wine always best? I'm going to try Ommegang Rare Vos, a fruity/spicy Belgian style amber.

And speaking of food pairing, has anybody had this? Have one from the last batch in my cellar. Really should break it out the next time we make Mexican.

?   New Holland El Mole Ocho: This medium-bodied brown ale is laden with cocoa, coffee and dried chilies to evoke the flavors of a Mexican mole sauce. In the Beermudgeon's opinion, this is one of the great food-pairing beers, especially with spicy food. Who needs Corona or Dos Equis with your enchiladas when you can have this? ABV: 8.4%; $7.99/22 oz.

HoyaSaxa03

(o|o)

James Ford

« Reply #739 on: October 21, 2011, 11:00:18 am »
Interesting article, read it yesterday. One of the reasons I drink more draft beer on vacation than when I'm around here.  ;)

Washington City Paper - D.C.'s Economies of Ale: Why Is Craft Beer So Expensive in Washington?

James Ford

« Reply #740 on: October 21, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »
Washington Express readers sure don't know their beer lists. The voted ChurchKey, RFD (yuck) and Bar Pilar the three best beer lists in DC. Are they kidding? Here's the Bar Pilar list:

Drafts
Dogfish head 60 min ipa $6
Magic Hat #9 ALE, Vermont $6
Lagunitas Czech Style PILSNER, California $6
New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale $8
Allagash WHITE ALE, Maine $6
Batch 19 pre prohibition lager $6

Bottles
Anderson Valley Boont AMBER ALE, California $6
Unibroue La Fin du Monde BELGIAN STRONG ALE, Quebec (750mL) $26
Viking LAGER, Iceland $5
Yuengling LAGER, Pennsylvania $5
Abita LIGHT ALE, Louisiana $5
Tecate LAGER ?The Clifford?(24oz Can) $8
Lindeman?s FRAMBOISE LAMBIC, Belgium $12
Victory Prima PILSNER, Pennsylvania $5
Woodchuck Dark & Dry CIDER, Vermont $6

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #741 on: October 21, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »
Washington Express readers sure don't know their beer lists. The voted ChurchKey, RFD (yuck) and Bar Pilar the three best beer lists in DC. Are they kidding? Here's the Bar Pilar list:

Drafts
Dogfish head 60 min ipa $6
Magic Hat #9 ALE, Vermont $6
Lagunitas Czech Style PILSNER, California $6
New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale $8
Allagash WHITE ALE, Maine $6
Batch 19 pre prohibition lager $6

Bottles
Anderson Valley Boont AMBER ALE, California $6
Unibroue La Fin du Monde BELGIAN STRONG ALE, Quebec (750mL) $26
Viking LAGER, Iceland $5
Yuengling LAGER, Pennsylvania $5
Abita LIGHT ALE, Louisiana $5
Tecate LAGER ?The Clifford?(24oz Can) $8
Lindeman?s FRAMBOISE LAMBIC, Belgium $12
Victory Prima PILSNER, Pennsylvania $5
Woodchuck Dark & Dry CIDER, Vermont $6

i believe that those beers listed on bar pilar's website are only their standard offerings, they have additional seasonals, specialties and one-offs.  they just don't have a webmaster to update the website every time they swap out a non-standard keg for another.

and while the atmosphere at RFD's isn't great, you can't deny they have one of the biggest selections of beer in the city (if not the biggest, since the demise of the Brickskeller).

funny collection of beer/drinking quotes:
http://www.powerhourvx.com/content_powerhourvx_drinking_game_beer_quotes_alcohol_quotes.htm
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #742 on: October 21, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »
Doesn't the Bier Baron more or less have the same beer list as the Brickskellar did?

And long bottle lists do nothing for me. If I want to drink beer from a bottle, I've probably got 75 different bottles at home I can choose from. For me, it's ALL about the draft list. And RFD's draft list is usually relatively lame compared to ChurchKey or any of the Paradiso's. Sure, they've got some good ones, but they also have crap like Miller Lite, Magic Hat, and Sam Adams lager, and pedestrian stuff like Leffe Blonde, Hoegarden, and Fat Tire. Stuff ChurchKey and Paradiso would never waste a draft line on. Yes, I know that sounds super snobby.

and while the atmosphere at RFD's isn't great, you can't deny they have one of the biggest selections of beer in the city (if not the biggest, since the demise of the Brickskeller).

Yada

« Reply #744 on: October 21, 2011, 02:51:50 pm »

Fall Stock

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #745 on: October 21, 2011, 04:11:57 pm »
what . . . do you just stay drunk all the time?   ;D

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #746 on: October 21, 2011, 04:19:11 pm »

anybody heard of, or tried, this?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:20:58 pm by walkonby »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #747 on: October 21, 2011, 04:21:59 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #748 on: October 21, 2011, 04:51:59 pm »
5 cases = 120 beers.  at a modest 1 beer a day, that's a 4 month's supply - AKA the fall season.  if he is sharing with, say, his wife, we're down to two months.  invite a few friends over for a game or two, and you're down to a month's supply.

Yada: the above calculations prove that you're living on the edge here.  only solution is to stock up on more beer ;D
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #749 on: October 21, 2011, 04:55:49 pm »
5 cases = 120 beers.  at a modest 1 beer a day, that's a 4 month's supply - AKA the fall season.  if he is sharing with, say, his wife, we're down to two months.  invite a few friends over for a game or two, and you're down to a month's supply.

Yada: the above calculations prove that you're living on the edge here.  only solution is to stock up on more beer ;D

Hahahha!!! Very true...

What's great about that stash of beer is that it only cost $123 in PA. If that was purchased in DC, I would've been pushing over $200 for that beer.

Sidenote, that 30 pack of I.C. Light will be floating around my fridge until next summer.