Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3215753 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8235 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41:17 pm »
Is Cantillon really that amazing? Or is it the fact that it's rare around these parts that make it amazing?

Recently, Sweetcell was kind enough to share a Cantillon or two with a group of people of people, as well as his own sours. And I have to say, the Cantillons weren't really any better than Sweetcell's homebrewed stuff to me.

Yes, that's a compliment to Sweetcell who brews some excellent beer, but I'm also saying sometimes I don't get the Cantillon fuss.

Still, I'll be grabbing some when I'm in Italy next month. Better value there.  ;D

Depends which bottle(s) you're drinking...

Fou Foune is sperm your pants worthy, however their regular Gueze is pretty meh... They have numerous styles, vintages, etc. so it's hard to say... but the two kegs Owen's Ordinary did have on draft were worth seeking out, hence my call.

Space Freely

« Reply #8236 on: May 08, 2017, 12:46:10 pm »
The first time I had Cantillon was at the Brugs Beertje in Bruges five years ago. This was before I had developed a taste for sour beer.

My wife ordered some Cantillon bottle and I ordered something else, then she decided that she had had enough beer and I was left to drink it. And it was so terrible I couldn't and it was thrown away.

Next time there will be a happier ending.

medeski7

« Reply #8237 on: May 08, 2017, 03:28:28 pm »
I've been twice to Owen's Ordinary and it's been terrible to say the least both times. Funny enough, they had a couple of Cantillon kegs last week. I called this weekend to see if they were still on tap. The conversation went like this.

Yada: "Hi, I was wondering if you still have the Cantillon kegs on tap?"

Owen's: "Ummmm.... what is the name of the brewery?"

Yada: "Cantillon, you had two kegs on earlier this week for the Belgian event."

Owen's: "Ummm.... Hold on one second please.
2nd Owen's Employee: "Hi, can I help you?"

Yada: "DO YOU HAVE CANTILLON ON DRAFT"

2nd Owen's Employee: "Ummm... I don't think we have that beer on draft here"

Yada: "click"

That's really surprising to me.  They did have that event and it was awesome.  The server helping my group indicated that sales were going slower than anticipated and they thought the remaining bottles were going to go to The Sovereign.  They had five Cantillon beers available, two on draft.  Everyone who was working the event seemed really knowledgeable.  We went once early and I stopped by again for a few pours later.  Two sets of servers, both really helpful and aware of what was on tap that day.  I really like that spot.

vansmack

« Reply #8238 on: May 08, 2017, 06:26:37 pm »
SpeakEasy apparently ceased operations yesterday. Looking for a creditor lifeline.

Mediocre beer + aggressive expansion at a time of increasing competition and more discerning drinkers = bankruptcy

Purchased by a local guy for $2.5m.

Ces Butner, the former owner of Oakland's Horizon Beverage Co., bought Speakeasy's brands and equipment on Monday. Butner's new company is Hunters Point Brewery LLC.
27>34

« Reply #8239 on: May 08, 2017, 07:11:16 pm »
SpeakEasy apparently ceased operations yesterday. Looking for a creditor lifeline.

Mediocre beer + aggressive expansion at a time of increasing competition and more discerning drinkers = bankruptcy

Purchased by a local guy for $2.5m.

Ces Butner, the former owner of Oakland's Horizon Beverage Co., bought Speakeasy's brands and equipment on Monday. Butner's new company is Hunters Point Brewery LLC.
Sounds like a steal of a deal to open a new brewery
Is it going to be located in Hunters Point? (was speakeasy there?)

reminds me how much I miss Molinari Salame and the brisket at Smokin? Warehouse Barbecue (conveniently right next to the methadone clinic...where I was a IT consultant, not a client :) )
slack

vansmack

« Reply #8240 on: May 08, 2017, 07:18:45 pm »
Is it going to be located in Hunters Point? (was speakeasy there?)

Yes.  Speakeasy is right where Evans turns into Hunter's Point Blvd, though you wouldn't recognize the area as they have torn down The Stick and building a ton of housing and neighborhoody stuff on the old shipyard site.

reminds me how much I miss Molinari Salame and the brisket at Smokin? Warehouse Barbecue (conveniently right next to the methadone clinic...where I was a IT consultant, not a client :) )

Molinari and Sons is about a mile due south of the brewery, but that isn't the way I would go.  Safer to make it about a 1.8 mile journey around that hill.  And yes, all good stuff - haven't been down there in a while.
27>34

Yada

« Reply #8241 on: May 09, 2017, 09:51:44 am »
I've been twice to Owen's Ordinary and it's been terrible to say the least both times. Funny enough, they had a couple of Cantillon kegs last week. I called this weekend to see if they were still on tap. The conversation went like this.

That's really surprising to me.  They did have that event and it was awesome.  The server helping my group indicated that sales were going slower than anticipated and they thought the remaining bottles were going to go to The Sovereign.  They had five Cantillon beers available, two on draft.  Everyone who was working the event seemed really knowledgeable.  We went once early and I stopped by again for a few pours later.  Two sets of servers, both really helpful and aware of what was on tap that day.  I really like that spot.

Maybe they had the A team working that day, but every time I've been there no one knows shit about beer, requesting me to order by # on the menu, and then receiving glasses full of foam.

medeski7

« Reply #8242 on: May 09, 2017, 01:48:39 pm »

Maybe they had the A team working that day, but every time I've been there no one knows shit about beer, requesting me to order by # on the menu, and then receiving glasses full of foam.

The foam thing is a real problem.  I've had a corporate event there and asked about it.  Their tap system has developed a leak that is allowing additional air into the system, per the employees I spoke to.  They are aware of the problem and really need to have the system fixed.  It's really negatively affecting the quality of the pours. 

Space Freely

« Reply #8243 on: May 09, 2017, 09:25:22 pm »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8244 on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:18 am »
Sad that it had to end up this way. Oh, well.

« Reply #8245 on: May 11, 2017, 02:38:59 pm »
Penn Druid is making a rare tap take over in balston next week

Brewed at Right Proper - Brookland, Soused is made with juniper-infused water and a Nordic farmhouse yeast strain. Aggressively hopped with Mosaic and Comet, this IPA has huge notes of sticky orange, mango and dank juniper.
Was happy to have stopped by
I really liked Soused
the pen druid stuff was good too
Pen Druid Pluto (French Oak BA Brown Ale)
Pen Druid Sun People (Hungarian Oak BA Sour Blond Ale; Aged 1 Year)

I also had
The Veil  #ladybroznightout ...which was very good

all still on tap
Want to try some more of the right proper and stone stuff I didn't get to try

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:47:20 pm by SideOfBacon 🥓🥓🥓🥓 »
slack

brennser

« Reply #8246 on: May 12, 2017, 02:58:00 pm »
I also had

Yada loves this beer - talks about it constantly

Space Freely

« Reply #8247 on: May 12, 2017, 03:25:49 pm »
I also had

Yada loves this beer - talks about it constantly

Once you drink it, you're confused about which bathroom to pee in. ;D

shemptiness

« Reply #8248 on: May 18, 2017, 05:13:33 pm »

« Reply #8249 on: May 19, 2017, 11:25:44 am »
Got a bottle of KBS at Rustico last night...although didn't really feel like it was all that and the $15 price tag  was a bit much IMO (I think they have more if you have to have one)
also a particularly bad choice after 5 mile bike ride in that heat

What I did really like was The Veil's Nice Relationship
These guys are just putting out some awesome stuff and glad they are getting on taps up here
slack