Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3212102 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8250 on: May 19, 2017, 04:57:58 pm »
so now that Wicked Weed is out, what other carolinian beers should i be lusting for?

a relative from Raleigh is coming to visit and has offered to mule a few bottles for me... but frankly i have no idea what to ask for.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #8251 on: May 19, 2017, 05:00:32 pm »
so now that Wicked Weed is out, what other carolinian beers should i be lusting for?

a relative from Raleigh is coming to visit and has offered to mule a few bottles for me... but frankly i have no idea what to ask for.

Meh... not much. Maybe Burial... Maybe NoDa... probably nothing better than you can get out your front door now that you're a Pac NW resident.

« Reply #8252 on: May 20, 2017, 11:51:03 am »
an interesting and pretty lengthy article about how these buyouts are really bad for the craft industry

I think the biggest problem for the fans of craft beer is going to be access to the key ingredients to make their special swill
Shelf space in this market hasn't been a deal breaker for a lot of these great craft brewers as most sell direct to consumer (not not really ideal if you live in the middle of nowhere..but can't worry about all the people all the time)

they scraped a funny tweet WW made in 2015 about their new overlords...
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8253 on: May 20, 2017, 02:08:48 pm »

Bond Brothers out of Raleigh
Heist and Noda out of Charlotte
Fonta Flora out of Morganton
Burial out of Asheville
Olde Hickory out of Hickory
Foothills out of Winston-Salem

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/state/nc/

Heist has the #11 IPA on BA, the #1 IPA not made in either VT or MA.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/116/

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:14:35 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #8254 on: May 25, 2017, 10:53:38 pm »
New brewery in Alexandria with some old roots
https://portnerbrewhouse.com/
I chatted with Space we have already agreed the place is shit.

lets be clear...neither of you have tried it
but I agree...it will probably suck

well finally made it ...and you were 100% right

Modera  Pale Ale - meh
?I?d Give Up Chocolate But...? Chocolate Stout  - blah
Porter- slightly mediocre
Small Beer - almost undrinkable

only saving grace...they had a #beeritforward promotion for Vets
So I bought a beer for some vet on Monday...wish it could be better beer.
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8255 on: June 05, 2017, 08:32:52 pm »
I don't care what they say...unfiltered sculpin in some pretty tasty shit.

Space Freely

« Reply #8256 on: June 05, 2017, 08:39:08 pm »
I smell a turd.

Post from Joe Tucker, founder of RateBeer.

---------------------

Dear Friends,

Today, my wife Jen and I are feeling great hope for the RateBeer community I?ve been carefully stewarding for more than a decade and a half. With the contributions of so many great people around the globe, our tiny company has helped change the world of beer through our humble and diligent commitment to serving the whole world beer community. We?re proud of our accomplishments, to have helped so many small breweries and beer retailers receive the spotlight they deserved and are so grateful for all the wonderful people, places and experiences that tending the site over these many years has provided us.

Today we?re announcing that ZX Ventures has purchased a minority investment in RateBeer. The focus of the agreement was on maintaining RateBeer?s value as an unbiased beer authority, retaining our operational independence, informing a whole new group of global consumers and keeping them excited about the beer.

Many people are probably surprised that our modest little company would be of interest to ZX Ventures, AB InBev?s tech-friendly growth division. We were definitely surprised too. There are few suitable companions for a very unique company like ours, a small niche tech-driven online publisher, and far fewer still in a position to not only buy in but also expand our scope and vision.

One of the greatest challenges I?ve had in choosing this magical life for myself as a developer of an online community has been the monstrous amount of work I?d signed on to, and that the site required, day and night, every day of the year. As the site?s only full time employee, this has meant I?ve always been on call. I love RateBeer dearly and I love my work, but it?s been really nice not staying up all night working on servers! It?s with relief and gratitude that the site has finally received the resources and infrastructure it needs to move forward and develop for the coming technical challenges and opportunities. I?ve never been more excited about RateBeer?s future and our ability to achieve new heights.

Most everyone who is close to the site and involved our community knows that we?ve tried to address our resource issues issues in a number of creative ways over the years. We?ve also looked at a variety of potential partners and found ZX was our best choice. Their comfort with technology, existing tech resources, beer loving culture, enthusiasm and respect for the community, an understanding of varied beer cultures globally, the stability of their company and dedication to preserving our independence made ZX the very best fit. I know this is surprising to many out there, but I?m confident I made the best possible decision.

I?ve been working with our expanded team on a daily basis since October. What we?ve found on the other side is a multicultural company that cares deeply about their own employees, cares about the local communities they invest in developing and is taking significant steps to better understand and foster local beer. It?s a great small team in a big company.

ZX Ventures has the utmost respect for the integrity of the data and the unbiased service we offer to the entire community and industry. It?s been a vital part of the plan since day one and we continue to operate as we always have, with myself as manager, and overseen by the watchful and critical eye of our volunteer worldwide administrators, external sales and offering equal opportunity to all advertisers and other customers.

Additionally, RateBeer Best became the premier worldwide international beer awards program and our festival one of the best in the world largely based on the simple and inviolable integrity of our computational methods and reliance on crowd-sourced reviews. This obviously won?t and cannot change, and thankfully we have loud opinionated critics in RateBeer?s ranks, and a data transparency initiative to ensure it never does. We?ve seen many positive examples for best managing an investor relationship and we?ve applied our learning.

Life at RateBeer will continue as it has. I?ll continue to work writing code, crunching numbers, answering questions, working with our administrators, reaching out to talk to people in the community and planning new features.

Thanks again for all your generosity, care, good times, support, love and faithfulness. To you all I?ll be raising a beer.

Much love,

Joe Tucker

###

Space Freely

« Reply #8257 on: June 05, 2017, 08:40:38 pm »
So does Sam.

Hello fellow beer advocates. I know most of you are aware of the news. We found out on Friday. I have had a number of fellow beer lovers and indie craft brewers reach out to me asking how we felt about it at Dogfish and if we intended to react in any way to it. Here is our reaction:

https://www.dogfish.com/blog/message-sam-current-ratebeer-changes

Dogfish Head has been part of the RateBeer.com network for quite some time. In fact, we?re fans of almost all websites, magazines, newsletters and blogs that help educate the public and inspire the consumption of great beer; publications that are passionate about sharing the love for our vibrant craft brewing renaissance that is now gaining traction around the globe. For many years, RateBeer, along with entities like BeerAdvocate, All About Beer, Draft, Celebrator, Ale Street, Brewing News and many more have championed this burgeoning and blossoming craft beer community in ways that are consistent with journalistic integrity.

We were troubled by the announcement last week that ZX Ventures, which is fully owned by the global conglomerate Anheuser-Busch InBev, has purchased a portion of RateBeer. We believe this is a direct violation of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Code of Ethics and a blatant conflict of interest. The SPJ?s Code of Ethics includes a section called ?Act Independently? and includes the following guidelines:

Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived. Disclose unavoidable conflicts.
        Refuse gifts, favors, fees, free travel and special treatment, and avoid political and other outside activities that may compromise integrity or impartiality, or may damage credibility.
        Be wary of sources offering information for favors or money; do not pay for access to news. Identify content provided by outside sources, whether paid or not.
        Deny favored treatment to advertisers, donors or any other special interests, and resist internal and external pressure to influence coverage.
        Distinguish news from advertising and shun hybrids that blur the lines between the two. Prominently label sponsored content.

It is our strong opinion that ABI?s ownership of RateBeer, and other properties positioned to cover the craft brewing community like October and thebeernecessities.com is in direct conflict with multiple guidelines listed above.

In the past, as executive editor of Pallet, a print magazine project that celebrated global craft beer culture, neither I nor Dogfish Head held any stake in the publication. As a company, Dogfish Head continually shows support for various craft beer publications through paid advertising campaigns.

To that end, we have respectfully asked Anheuser-Busch InBev and RateBeer to remove all Dogfish Head beer reviews and mentions on the RateBeer website immediately. It just doesn?t seem right for a brewer of any kind to be in a position to potentially manipulate what consumers are hearing and saying about beers, how they are rated and which ones are receiving extra publicity on what might appear to be a legitimate, 100 percent user-generated platform. It is our opinion that this initiative and others are ethically dubious and that the lack of transparency is troubling.

To our fellow independently-owned brewers, we encourage you to join us in this effort to ensure consumers continue to get the best and most accurate information about their beers. For everyone else, we encourage you to shift the sharing of your beer opinions and reviews to another platform that remains loyal to the principles of journalistic integrity. America?s Independence Day is just around the corner. Support the indie craft brewing movement!

Cheers,
    Sam

For more information on the Society of Professional Journalism, please log on to their website: https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp.

SamCalagione, Today at 12:02 AM

Space Freely

« Reply #8258 on: June 17, 2017, 09:26:51 pm »
All bombers 20% off at Amazon Foods this weekend for FAthers Day. Space approves of this message.

I got two bombers of Rodenbach Alexander for $12.79 ea, plus a couple of Bruery bombers for around $16 each.

« Reply #8259 on: June 17, 2017, 10:54:37 pm »
EBK  by Adroit Theory Brewing Company is one damn fine beer
Nice that they regularly have it on tap at Copperwood

Also picked up a four pack of this and loved it

really didn't feel like I was having a beer, but it was very refreshing
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8260 on: June 18, 2017, 06:41:01 pm »
i was in chicago a few weeks ago and i was very pleasantly surprised at how common good craft beer was.  i did not hit a single spot that didn't have a few good choices on offer.  Daisy Cutter was omnipresent, including at the neighborhood dive bar we danced at until 4 am.  speaking of Half Acre, i got to taste their Vallejo IPA which was damn tasty.

currently enjoying a Melvin IPA - highly recommended. i had never heard of this beer before but my grocery store had 10-day old cans, and they were on sale, so i gave it a spin.  will be grabbing them again.  also, my house beer (until i get my brew stand built again...) is the Hop Valley IPA variety pack. solid, fresh IPAs and DIPAs in a convenient box at a great price. 
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8261 on: June 18, 2017, 07:34:29 pm »
Veil is putting out 2 of my 3 favorite beers they do this week: Crucial Taunt and Hornswoggler. (Lord Shredder is the other.) Planning on heading over on Tuesday if anyone wants me to pick them up anything.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8262 on: June 19, 2017, 08:01:47 am »
Anybody ever flown with canned beer? If so, how did it hold in the checked luggage compared to bottles? We're headed to a wine-centric European nation for vacation, but I'm planning on bringing a handful of cans to drink while there.

I usually wrap luggage beer individually in bubble wrap and then seal it a plastic bag. I've only ever had one or two bottles break.

I hope the cans I'm bringing hold up better than the over-carbonated mess cans from Aslin that I'm not bringing. I even had one of their cans explode in my hand the other day, sending beer everywhere. Who knew I was so strong?

And though the country we're going to is wine-centric, I still have my eyes on some good Belgians to bring home.  ;)

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8263 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:17 am »
Explode in your hand?

Yes, I've packed cans without incident but you're traveling quite a bit further than I did.

Yada

« Reply #8264 on: June 19, 2017, 09:05:46 am »
Anybody ever flown with canned beer? If so, how did it hold in the checked luggage compared to bottles? We're headed to a wine-centric European nation for vacation, but I'm planning on bringing a handful of cans to drink while there.

I usually wrap luggage beer individually in bubble wrap and then seal it a plastic bag. I've only ever had one or two bottles break.

I hope the cans I'm bringing hold up better than the over-carbonated mess cans from Aslin that I'm not bringing. I even had one of their cans explode in my hand the other day, sending beer everywhere. Who knew I was so strong?

And though the country we're going to is wine-centric, I still have my eyes on some good Belgians to bring home.  ;)

I typically fly home with cans from any destination that has good cans. Pack them no differently than you would a bottle or if you're shipping beer in a trade and you'll be fine. Half the time I just wrap them in dirty clothes and stick them in a garbage bag just in case one breaks.