Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3206460 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8490 on: October 06, 2017, 03:07:50 pm »
Yes, and it's not bad.

Just not as good at BCBS, KBS, Lagunitas High Westified, and others of that ilk.

mmmmmm ilk beer

shemptiness

« Reply #8491 on: October 06, 2017, 04:00:04 pm »
Indeed it is one of the best brown ales. Probably because it's referred to by DFH as an "indian brown ale" or a IPA/brown ale hybrid (I think?) so more hoppy than most brown ales. It's also very rare that I find myself wanting to drink a brown ale.

When they decided to rename it Indian Brown Dark IPA did they make any changes to the beer at all?  Or is it just a rebranding?

Space Freely

« Reply #8492 on: October 06, 2017, 04:25:22 pm »
Indeed it is one of the best brown ales. Probably because it's referred to by DFH as an "indian brown ale" or a IPA/brown ale hybrid (I think?) so more hoppy than most brown ales. It's also very rare that I find myself wanting to drink a brown ale.

When they decided to rename it Indian Brown Dark IPA did they make any changes to the beer at all?  Or is it just a rebranding?

Feel free to post something that proves me wrong, but I seem to remember it being just a rebranding.

It's sort of weird that they use "Indian" in one of their beer names, and then Sam Calagione denies an Indian guy the ability to name his brewery "Namaste."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/money/business/2017/04/07/dogfish-head-fights-protect-its-brand/100049976/

shemptiness

« Reply #8493 on: October 15, 2017, 08:40:44 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8494 on: October 16, 2017, 05:51:43 pm »
over a week old now, but GABF winners were announced: https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

Ocelot won a bronze for its Baltic-Style Porter, Powers of Observation - one of 4 medals for VA.  MD and DC* struck out.

* CORRECTION: Gordon Biersch Navy Yard won a gold for their hefeweizen!  for some reason it's listed as CO, i assume because the company's headquarters are there?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:26:56 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8495 on: October 16, 2017, 06:01:53 pm »
well this looks like a barrel of monkeys:

Craft Brewers Seek to Buy Anheuser-Busch InBev and 'Take Craft Back'
The Brewers Association, the parent organization of the American Homebrewers Association, has announced the craft brewing community's intent to Take Craft Back from Anheuser-Busch InBev by purchasing the beverage-alcohol giant outright.

After years of watching Big Beer acquire craft breweries, the country's small and independent craft brewers have decided to flip the script. The website TakeCraftBack.com is now accepting support from craft beer lovers, with the (crazy?) goal of raising $213,000,000,000 to buy AB InBev.

Beer lovers are invited to make a pledge of support—no credit card or actual money required—and get free Take Craft Back swag.

(yes, they will send you some swag if you "pledge"...)
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8496 on: October 16, 2017, 06:36:32 pm »
MARYLAND CRAFT BEER COMPETITION RESULTS!

Citra Splendora is good when fresh but hardly better than Baymore.

Space Freely

« Reply #8497 on: October 26, 2017, 01:33:03 pm »
The good news is Lagunitas Born Yesterday is great again this year. Best mass produced hoppy beer on the market.

The bad news is it's pretty meh when you have a fridge full Aslin and Veil hoppy beers.

Oh well, it's still better than the Heady Topper clone I'll be bottling Saturday.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8498 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »
Luponic Distortion on tap
Sunset
So Cal

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8499 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:17 pm »
The good news is Lagunitas Born Yesterday is great again this year. Best mass produced hoppy beer on the market.

The bad news is it's pretty meh when you have a fridge full Aslin and Veil hoppy beers.

Oh well, it's still better than the Heady Topper clone I'll be bottling Saturday.

Back already? I defnitely need to get some, despite not having any room in the fridge.

Space Freely

« Reply #8500 on: October 27, 2017, 10:08:28 am »

Back already? I defnitely need to get some, despite not having any room in the fridge.

Yes, a whole year has passed. Don't confuse this superior beer with the inferior but still good Born Again Yesterday, which was released earlier this year.

Bagley

« Reply #8501 on: October 27, 2017, 10:37:28 am »

agreed.  great stuff

Stone Enjoy By 10/31!!!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8502 on: October 27, 2017, 02:58:13 pm »
Agreed on Born Again Yesterday.  And now that you mention it, I  guess it was just after Thanksgiving when I saw 6 Packs of Born Yesterday still on the shelf and couldn't decide whether their time had come and gone.

Space Freely

« Reply #8503 on: October 27, 2017, 04:05:07 pm »
More of a bar question than a beer question...Does the Sovereign have a bar area where you can just drink beer and not order food?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #8504 on: October 27, 2017, 04:17:02 pm »
I don't know of this sovereign of which you speak, but why can't you ever just order what you want?