Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182297 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #870 on: November 30, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »
 http://www.nme.com/news/hanson/60704

November 30, 2011 16:35

Hanson to launch 'Mmmhop' beer brand

Pop trio will be marketing their own ale

More Hanson news, reviews, videos and tour dates
Buy Hanson music from Amazon
Hanson news RSS Feed
Tweet

Hanson to launch 'Mmmhop' beer brand

Photo: Press

American pop band Hanson have revealed they are launching their own brand of beer called 'Mmmhop'.

The trio have announced that the beverage ? which is named after their 1997 Number One single 'Mmmbop' ? will be an Indian pale ale that will be available early next year, reports the Daily Express.

The group discussed the details of their new venture at the Oxford Union earlier this week (November 28), with drummer Zac Hanson telling the audience: "It's vital our fans trust in everything Hanson do. We are soon going to be selling our own beer. I'm not joking ? Mmmhop IPA anyone?"

Hanson released their eighth studio album 'Shout It Out' in June 2010. Earlier this year, meanwhile, guitarist Isaac Hanson accused Kings Of Leon of "acting like pricks" after the Tennessee band shelved tour dates with singer Caleb Followill allegedly suffering from exhaustion and vocal problems.

Hanson aren't the only band to try their hand at the alcoholic beverage industry. Elbow launched their own charity beer named after their 'Build A Rocket Boys!' album and donated the proceeds from its sales to Oxfam, while the likes of The Rifles and Kiss have also introduced their own brands of ale this year.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #871 on: December 03, 2011, 06:06:20 pm »
does anybody know where i can buy this.  has anybody seen this stuff in the district anywhere?  i am desperate to find it as a gift for someone.  please help.

redsock

« Reply #872 on: December 04, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »
Anyone try the Stone 15th Anniversary Black IPA? Bought a bottle on impulse but can gift it if it isn't worth it.

Also got a six pack of the River Horse Tripel Horse, which is a reasonable Belgium from a brewery in NJ. I'm liking it, and the 10% alcohol guarantees I'll like it for the rest of the week too.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #873 on: December 04, 2011, 10:39:33 pm »
Stone's Black IPA is great.  Don't gift it.

James Ford

« Reply #874 on: December 05, 2011, 09:41:38 am »
Indeed.

I wonder how long this one will be good for. It says "Drink Fresh" and the bottling date is August 2011.

Stone's Black IPA is great.  Don't gift it.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #875 on: December 05, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »
I won't keep mine but it should age ok, shouldn't it?

James Ford

« Reply #876 on: December 05, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »
I guess my concern is over losing some of the hoppiness.

Found this (their suggestion is no doubt intended to sell more bottles of it):

http://blog.stonebrew.com/?p=2570

We do recommend drinking this beer as fresh as possible, but those inclined to age their beers will probably not be disappointed, as the intense roast malt flavors will enhance the aging potential of this beer, even as the fresh hop character fades over time. If you do decide to age, we strongly suggest not to do it with just one bottle tucked away in the back of your closet for some undetermined amount of time, but rather with a few bottles, properly cellared (55 degrees F, or below), and a predetermined ?open, and enjoy the progression? series of dates not more than six months apart (three month intervals are suggested for this particular beer). That way, you can enjoy and appreciate the cellaring process in addition to the beer itself.

I won't keep mine but it should age ok, shouldn't it?

Bagley

« Reply #877 on: December 05, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »
Best 9:30 club offering-  Troeg's Javahead Stout,  like it even more than the Brooklyn Double Chocolate Stout. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #878 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:37 pm »
Does the Beer List at the club change much?  The latest rage for bars is to have a live webcam shot of a sign showing what's available.  Maybe we could get a shot of the signage over on tumblr whenever something new comes in....

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #879 on: December 05, 2011, 05:22:05 pm »
Had no idea the dbl chocolate stout was at the club. Nice.

Bagley

« Reply #880 on: December 05, 2011, 06:08:05 pm »
Had no idea the dbl chocolate stout was at the club. Nice.

basement bar

Venerable Bede

« Reply #881 on: December 08, 2011, 03:27:46 pm »
Came home with way too many beers from my trip to chicago, but will be trying many of these this weekend....

Great Lakes: Eliot Ness, Commodore Perry, Edmund Fitzgerald (note- I hate porters, but love the song, so had to get it)

Capital Brewery (Wisconsin): supper club

Chi-Town: windy city wheat, pier pale ale

Bell's: best brown ale, oarsman ale

New Glarus: spotted cow (a favorite, so stocked up), moon man, two women, fat squirrel

Boulevard: single-wide, double-wide (750ml), smokehouse series collaboration #2 white ipa (750 ml; collaboration with deschutes)...also brought back their wheat beer for the wife.

Crooked Line: detour double ipa (750 ml)

Sam Adams: third way double ipa (1 pint, 6 oz)
OU812

imbecile

« Reply #882 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:19 pm »
Speaking of Bell's, I went to Church Key on Tuesday for the Black Note tapping.

Had never heard of it, but figured Bell's could do no wrong and it was the only keg in DC/VA, so what the hell.

Nevertheless, it was Kalamazoo Stout aged in Old Forrester Bourbon Barrels combined with their Double Cream Stout.  Clocked in at 11.5%, and it was absolutely delicious.  Really roasty and smooth, on the verge of being sweet, very good.

Made a stout night of it and also tried:
Diesel - from Sixpoint brewery
Christmas Eve at a New York City Hotel Room - from Evil Twin
NATAS - from DC Brau (Cask conditioned and dry hopped with centennial hops)

All had good roasty/coffee/chocolate notes.  Diesel was pretty standard, a little thin for my tastes.  Christmas Eve.. was good, a lot like Black Note, but just not as good in any area.  NATAS, solid beer, but I generally across the board am not a fan of the sweetness in most porters and this was the case here as well. 

James Ford

« Reply #883 on: December 14, 2011, 10:04:23 am »
So let me ask you, dear 9:30 board friends. How many of you would want to share a beer with Newt Gingrich? Wouldn't you be afraid of contracting herpes or boredom or something? Good lord, who writes this shit?

You don?t get more un-Romney than Gingrich. Imperfect and untidy, he?s the serial husband with whom anyone could feel comfortable sharing a beer. Or a keg. A sinner like the rest of us, he?s as familiar and comfortable as an old sofa.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-gops-death-wish/2011/12/09/gIQALe5CjO_story.html

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #884 on: December 14, 2011, 10:39:21 am »