Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182190 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 02:59:34 pm »
This is the best pumpkin beer I've had. Better than Dogfish. This is definitely more pumpkin-y than Dogfish Punkin, whose pumpkin flavor to me is more subtle. I had a sample at my local Whole Foods, but they said they're out and may not get more. Anybody seen it anywhere in the NoVA burbs or DC?

Ummm, I'd like to try that.

Is the Dogfish version anything like regular Dogfish? I can't stand that stuff! It just tastes too strong, bitter and nasty for me and makes me sick.

James Ford

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 03:25:19 pm »
This is the best pumpkin beer I've had. Better than Dogfish. This is definitely more pumpkin-y than Dogfish Punkin, whose pumpkin flavor to me is more subtle. I had a sample at my local Whole Foods, but they said they're out and may not get more. Anybody seen it anywhere in the NoVA burbs or DC?

Ummm, I'd like to try that.

Is the Dogfish version anything like regular Dogfish? I can't stand that stuff! It just tastes too strong, bitter and nasty for me and makes me sick.

What is "regular Dogfish"? They make eight year round beers, four seasonals, and 13 occasional rarities.

Are you referring to the 90 minute IPA? That is very hoppy, with 60 IBU. Their Punkin beer is 24 IBU, so it's bound to be less bitter. Don't know the IBU for Pumking, but surely something comparable to the Punkin, not the 90 minute.

And no, I didn't pull these numbers out of my head, I used the google.

Jaguar

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 03:50:09 pm »
Never realized that they made so many. After looking at their site, I'm pretty sure it's the 60. It was awhile ago. Which ever kind that you will sometimes see around in the minor liquor stores that only stock one choice as that's all I ever see around here. Don't pay much attention to it since I remember how disgusted I was from it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:54:19 pm by Jaguar »

James Ford

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »
Never realized that they made so many. After looking at their site, I think it may have been the 60 but might have been the 90. It was awhile ago. Which ever kind that you will sometimes see around in the minor liquor stores that only stock one choice as that's all I ever see around here. Don't pay much attention to it since I remember how disgusted I was from it.

If what you're seeing is in six packs, my guess is that it's the 60 Minute. If it's in four packs, then most likely the 90 Minute. If the 60 Minute disgusts you, the 90 Minute will probably be much worse.

We recently served this one to a female friend who doesn't usually care for beer, and she liked it quite a bit.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/black-blue.htm

Random fact: jon Langford of Mekons/Waco Brothers fame designed the Dogfish Burton Baton beer label, as well as some other Dogfish labels...

hemisphire

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 04:19:43 pm »
Up at the Cambridge Brewing Company on Saturday, their pumpkin ale was pretty good, but their O.P.P. (Olde Pumpkin Porter) was outstanding, a mix of a pumpkin ale and a porter. I am so down with it.

Jaguar

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 04:48:09 pm »
Never realized that they made so many. After looking at their site, I think it may have been the 60 but might have been the 90. It was awhile ago. Which ever kind that you will sometimes see around in the minor liquor stores that only stock one choice as that's all I ever see around here. Don't pay much attention to it since I remember how disgusted I was from it.

If what you're seeing is in six packs, my guess is that it's the 60 Minute. If it's in four packs, then most likely the 90 Minute. If the 60 Minute disgusts you, the 90 Minute will probably be much worse.

We recently served this one to a female friend who doesn't usually care for beer, and she liked it quite a bit.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/black-blue.htm

Random fact: jon Langford of Mekons/Waco Brothers fame designed the Dogfish Burton Baton beer label, as well as some other Dogfish labels...

After thinking about it a bit, it was definitely the 60. I remember the green in the lable. Nasty!!!

Didn't know about how to rate the hopps (or whatever it's rating) so your info was helpful.  ;)

Jaguar

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 12:44:30 am »
Drinking one of these now.

Ah, that 'smooth flow'!  ;D

James Ford

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 08:15:09 am »
So i'm thinking of going to the Dupont Paradiso for happy hour this week. I have a top three of what's on tap, of which I plan on choosing two. What would you pick?

Dupont Draft Menu:

Coniston Blue Bird Bitter
21st Ammendment Back in Black
Saison Dupont
Bells Expedition
Trip Karmeliet
Hitachino White
Duchesse de Bourgogne
North Coast Red Seal
Corsendonk Brown
Dogfish Head Punkin
Gulden Draak
St Louis Frambroise

So I went yesterday. One of my goals with their half price happy hour is to have beers that might be out of my normal comfort zone, cost wise. Hence, the Corsendonk Brown and Gulden Draak were at the top of my list.

I had the Corsendonk Brown first. I'm a big fan of the Belgian dubbel style, and I'd highly enjoyed this beer before. Though it didn't exactly go with the pizza that I was sharing with a friend (though it paired arguably better than the Bell's Expedition (Imperial Stout) that he was drinking), it was quite tasty.

Second, we tried a taste of the Gulden Draak. It's called a dark trippel. I was thinking it would look like a dark beer, but by "dark" they meant it was reddish rather than golden. We both agreed it was good, but maybe a little too sweet.

So I opted for the imperial stout for my second beer. At 10.5% alcohol, it packs a wallop. I'm a big fan of Old Rasputin, and though the Bell's was good, it fell a little short of Old Rasputin, for me. My friend opted for the Back in Black, which turned out the be an interesting black IPA.

I also considered the Punkin and the Saison Dupont, but two is about all I can handle of these big alcohol beers.

brennser

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 09:13:45 am »
whoah - its a 1/2 price happy hour?? what did those beers end up running you? and to think I've been wasting my time at the Big Hunt, which incidentally has a beer selection, on draught at least, to rival PP's

Bagley

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:07 am »
If you like hops-the Greenflash west coast IPA @ Big Hunt is hard to beat

slappy

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:54 am »
Another good Fall beer as an alternative to the pumpkins...
Abita's Pecan Harvest Ale

James Ford

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 11:29:20 am »
I haven't been to the Big Hunt for many years, but I feel like I'd be the olderst person there by at least ten years.

Any thoughts on Cap City beers? Thinking of hitting the one in Shilrlington. Of those I can remember, the Porter is ok, the Pumpkin is good, and the Fuel is very good. Anybody had the Bourbon Stout?

Capitol Kölsch
Amber Waves
Pale Rider
Prohibition Porter
Cask Ale
Organic Wit
Fuel
Oktoberfest
Pumpkinator
Organic Trippel
Oak Aged Bourbon Stout

brennser

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 12:07:26 pm »
you'd be surprised - obviously a fair few young 'uns but a few old fogies like myself (and older)

I haven't been to the Big Hunt for many years, but I feel like I'd be the olderst person there by at least ten years.

slappy

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 04:09:47 pm »

Any thoughts on Cap City beers? Thinking of hitting the one in Shilrlington. Of those I can remember, the Porter is ok, the Pumpkin is good, and the Fuel is very good. Anybody had the Bourbon Stout?

Forget all this Big Hunt and Cap City talk.
Birch & Barley/Churchkey is finally opening this week!
500 beers with 50 draft and 5 hand pump cask ales.
The 'beer organ' is a thing of beauty.
http://amandamc.blogspot.com/2009/10/birch-barley-churchkey-open-thursday.html

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 04:41:36 pm »
Birch & Barley/Churchkey is finally opening this week!
500 beers with 50 draft and 5 hand pump cask ales.
The 'beer organ' is a thing of beauty.
http://amandamc.blogspot.com/2009/10/birch-barley-churchkey-open-thursday.html

huh.  didn't know that the dakota cowgirl had closed...

edit: looks like the cowgirl has been closed for over a year.  i used to live about 500 feet away from it, loved their bison burger.
<sig>