Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181826 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2009, 10:11:26 am »
i might be wrong . . . but i think this beer is the best in the world:

Had the St. Bernardus #12 at Happy Hour at Birreria in Georgetown last night, and based on that one, you may be RIGHT. It get's an A+

Also had Bell's Rye Stout. Didn't really work for me. I think I've had four of their other stouts (Kalamazoo, Expedition, Double Cream, and Cherry), and this one was my least favorite. Still, not terrible, but I'll give it a B-.

imbecile

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2009, 01:10:28 pm »
Church Key
Saturday Nov 21 @ 7 PM

Sam Caglione and Bryan Sellers of dogfish are going to be at Church Key as part of their opening activities or some such event, serving a keg of Black Thai.

I've not been to Church Key yet, but have heard it's constantly packed and at the rate they're going through kegs/casks (according to Twitter) it sounds as if it's ass-to-elbow from opening to close.  So, recommendations from people who've been.. go and slog through a possible even thicker crowd than normal, or skip it, wait a while for new-ness to wear off so it'll be a more enjoyable experience?

Additionally.. anyone know where Life and Limb is being served in DC and/or Silver Spring?

James Ford

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2009, 01:36:44 pm »
After paying $4 for three 10 oz microbrews at Mahaffey's in Baltimore in Saturday, I don't think I ever want to pay Church Key prices. And I'm not keen on supporting a place that serves veal-neck sausage and fois tots.

I say buy something good at Whole Foods and drink at home!

brennser

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2009, 01:48:43 pm »
we tried to get in on Tuesday night and there was a line out the door....glad to know the stimulus is working in DC at least....we went to Stoneys instead and drank some Bells Two Hearted

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2009, 01:54:52 pm »
After paying $4 for three 10 oz microbrews at Mahaffey's in Baltimore in Saturday, I don't think I ever want to pay Church Key prices. And I'm not keen on supporting a place that serves veal-neck sausage and fois tots.

Rhett, your life is 'at home', which is not the same for everyone else. Some go out, not just for the drink, but for the socialization. Mind you, that is not at all meant as an insult in anyway. It's just that we have a whole world full of different kinds of people with different interests and concerns. Deal with it!

Is that $4 for 3 drinks or did you buy 3 and paid $4 each? Also, I'm not familiar with that place. Exactly where is it and what sort of selection?

Any guesses on how long before other competitors (to Church Key) come along? Sounds promising! Me, I'll wait for the crowds to die down or some odd circumstance to find myself there.

Btw, that 6 pack looks good. Especially like that it is a variety pack; as I love trying new and different options; and it's a '6 pack' instead of those lame 4 packs.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:56:53 pm by Jaguar »

James Ford

« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2009, 02:04:39 pm »
This is the place I went.

http://mahaffeyspub.com/

$4 for three beers. That's $1.33 a beer. A couple of the beers on their draft list weren't included in the special, but the rest were.

Doesn't Church Key already have competitors? Two Paradiso locations, the Brickskellar, RFD, Rustico, two area Dogfish pubs? Personally, I'd choose any of those over Church Key, based on beer specials, vegetarian options, and affordability of the food.

I wasn't saying to avoid going out to a pub to drink, but merely sugggesting that with Whole Foods a two minute walk away, it's definitely an attractive alternative to an overcrowded, expensive night out at Church Key.

imbecile

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »

Mmm, 3-fers at Mahaffeys.  Haven't done that in a while.  I think they have steak-night on Tuesdays too, which is really good as well.

It's in Fells Point, a street up from O'Donnell Street, don't remember the name.  I work with a lot of people from Baltimore (work in Columbia) and when we'd head to B'more after work for drinks we'd usually head there.  The 3-fer selection is a short list, about 15 selections if memory serves, but there's always about 5-6 worth having.

Edit:  Didn't see the above post with link to Mahaffeys, sorry for being redundant, all the necessary info is there.  Also.. in Canton, not Fells Point.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:19:46 pm by imbecile »

James Ford

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2009, 02:31:27 pm »
Technically, I think it's in Canton, not Fells Point. But to someone in Columbia (who lives in DC?), it's probably all the same...

Just kiddin!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2009, 02:43:52 pm »
Thanks, I was going to say that.  ;)
They are next door neighbors though.

Think I've been there a couple times but that was years ago. Had dinner and wine and very much enjoyed it. Guess it's time to think about going back; specifically, on a week night.

imbecile

« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2009, 03:00:42 pm »
Technically, I think it's in Canton, not Fells Point. But to someone in Columbia (who lives in DC?), it's probably all the same...

Just kiddin!

Ha, I know Fells Points, and I know Canton Square, until now not sure I knew Canton as a name for the neighborhood even existed.  Canton Square in a neighborhood called Canton?.. not sure how i didn't pick up on that.  Bah.. it's all Baltimore to me.. nevertheless, I'll know for the next time.

James Ford

« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2009, 03:30:13 pm »

Just kiddin!

Ha, I know Fells Points, and I know Canton Square, until now not sure I knew Canton as a name for the neighborhood even existed.  Canton Square in a neighborhood called Canton?.. not sure how i didn't pick up on that.  Bah.. it's all Baltimore to me.. nevertheless, I'll know for the next time.

Double ha. I have no idea what Canton Square is. I just remember Canton as the rundown neighborhood I used to drive down from Charles Village to when I wanted a booty call from my FWB back in the mid-90s. I know, TMI. I hadn't been back there in years before this weekend, was amazed at how much the area has changed. Great new-ish playground in Patterson Park, too.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2009, 04:58:48 pm »
I just remember Canton as the rundown neighborhood I used to drive down from Charles Village to when I wanted a booty call from my FWB back in the mid-90s.

<sig>

Darth Ed

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2009, 02:58:39 pm »
Re: Church Key....

I've only been there once and experienced the same line-out-the-door and super-crowded bar area, but that was on a Saturday night. I'd hoped it was just a weekend thing and that during the week would be less crowded. I'll probably wait until the newness wears off a little before going back. But, as I wrote on page 5, Aventinus on draft is so mind-blowingly good that I'll find it very hard to resist if I'm in the neighborhood again soon.

walkonby

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2009, 07:33:20 pm »
i went to a place with friends and all they had on tap was bud.  we got a pitcher of it anyway.  after three glasses of it . . . i said, "it all tastes the same when you're getting drunk."

wml7

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2009, 08:32:50 pm »
i went to a place with friends and all they had on tap was bud.  we got a pitcher of it anyway.  after three glasses of it . . . i said, "it all tastes the same when you're getting drunk."

this is very true  ;D