Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181407 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2011, 03:28:01 pm »
The whole growler thing doesn't really work for me.

I mean, once you start drinking it, you have to finish it in a day or two, right? Between my wife and I, it usually takes us a week to get through 64 ozs of beer (mind you, we tend to favor the bigger 7-12% abv sippers.)

And the prices, at least at Whole Foods, oftentimes are more than if you just get a six pack or bomber.

James Ford

« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2011, 03:45:41 pm »
I always wonder of MD liquor laws have something to do with Maryland not getting Founders beers, when so many other surrounding states do (see map)

Founders may be my favorite brewery of them all.

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/beer-locator

The Whole Foods in Fairfax has been my go to beer place of late. World class beer at $4 for a 12 oz glass at one station, and $3.66 for 16 ozs at the other two.

stupid MD liquor laws... grumble grumble.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2011, 03:59:27 pm »
You should seriously go to Perfect Pour.

never heard of the place, so i looked it up.  two thoughts: 1) great selection, and 2) from where i am in rockville, VA is closer  :-\

also, i love that this is the featured item on the page that google sent me to:

The whole growler thing doesn't really work for me.

makes sense, since growlers aren't meant for 2 slow-sippin' people.  only time i've seen growlers broken out is when there is for a large group, or a few people who intend on doing more than just sipping.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:50 pm »
That said, when Sculpin IPA (#1 IPA on beeradvocate.com) first came here, it was considerably cheaper by the growler than by the bomber. So we made ourselves drink the 64 ozs over two days.  ;D

imbecile

« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2011, 04:12:58 pm »
Have any of you ventured up to Columbia to the Perfect Pour?  Highly recommended.  I call it beer disneyland.

The Perfect Pour and buying tickets for 930 shows sans ticket charges at Merriweather are about the only consolations for driving to Columbia from DC everyday for work.

If only some of the good midwest beers (Bells, Founders, New Holland, Great Lakes, etc) would distribute in Maryland it'd be perfect.

K8teebug

« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2011, 04:33:45 pm »
They are going to sell "mini'growlers" so it would be about 2 pints of beer.  So, it would be perfect for two people!  Otherwise, I would say my husband and I are not growler buyers either.

Yeah, I really wish they would sell Bells here.  I heart Bells.

dave24

« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »
Which Bells are you talking about?  You can find many of their beers around town, both bottled and on-tap.  You just have to know where to look.  But, yes - they distribute to DC/VA/MD.

imbecile

« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2011, 05:19:08 pm »
Which Bells are you talking about?  You can find many of their beers around town, both bottled and on-tap.  You just have to know where to look.  But, yes - they distribute to DC/VA/MD.

Yeah, I can find Bells all over DC and usually just make a total wine trip (to VA) every other month or so and stock up, it would just be really nice if I could find it conveniently in Maryland while I'm out for lunch running errands.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/beer-finder/

They don't distribute in Maryland directly, I even confirmed it with Larry Bell last summer when I ran into him in Kalamazoo at their brew pub asking him when they would distribute here.  They've no intention of distributing here anytime soon.  He gave me the reason, but I honestly didn't really understand much of it, had to do with distribution issues/MD laws is all I got out of it.  Which seems to be prevalent with other Michigan beers especially trying to get into Maryland.  That's not to say you can't find Bells on occasion in Maryland stores/restaurants, but it's not through a direct distribution with Bells, much like finding dogfish head in Michigan where they don't distribute, it's all through secondaries and on a limited basis.

edit:  I stand corrected, dogfish is available in MI.  I could've sworn it wasn't last I knew.  Regardless, at some point it was in some state who's name I can't recall that didn't have a wholesale agreement with the brewery and it was there through a secondary distributor, if memory serves.. which clearly it does not.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:27:39 pm by imbecile »

slappy

« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2011, 07:17:09 pm »
Wegman's also has good selection of Bells. They still had some Christmas Ale, Winter White and the ubiquitous Two Hearted Ale last week.
The RedRocks in Old Town had it on tap a few weeks ago.

James Ford

« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2011, 08:14:54 pm »
A little birdie told me to look for Bell's Hopslam in stores on Tuesday. Don't wait until Wednesday if you want some.

Also up this month: Founders Imperial Stout and Founders Double Trouble IPA.

Then first week of Feb: Troegs Nugget Nectar.

Wow!

walkonby

« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:29 pm »
went to sweetwater tavern this evening.  haven't been in awhile.  was super upset that i just missed the best beer they make . . . saint nicks weizenbock.  look for it next december.  you'll be gald you did.

James Ford

« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2011, 04:49:03 pm »
I sure wish it was warmer out, or that ChruchKey was closer to a Metro station...

In addition to a lot of new gym memberships and diet plans starting up, the beginning of each year means it's time for Bell's Hopslam. This honeyed Double IPA has huge hype. You can decide for yourself whether the drinkable 10%-abv Michigan beer measures up by getting a first taste starting at 4pm at ChurchKey tonight. Wanna get geeky about it? Order Hopslam on draft and bottle and compare notes. They'll be pouring both.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2011, 06:35:22 pm »

I'm thinking of trekking up to Harrisburg when this comes out....and buying as much as my car will hold.

James Ford

« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2011, 07:01:00 pm »
Enjoy your drive tomorrow.

?From Troegs Brewing?s Facebook page, ?Nugget Nectar cases, six packs and growlers will be available at the Troegs Brewery Tasting Room starting TUESDAY, JANUARY 11 at 10 a.m 22 ounce bottles will be available in a few weeks. Nugget Nectar starts shipping to wholesalers next week and will be in all markets by the first week of February.?

I'm thinking of trekking up to Harrisburg when this comes out....and buying as much as my car will hold.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2011, 10:10:18 am »
Ok....maybe this weekend?   ;D