Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182053 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25:15 pm »
Gee Rhett, I remember the days when a half a beer would do you in!

Not sure whether to congratulate you or call AA.  :D

brennser

« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2011, 04:28:41 pm »
dammit - I'd love to get my hands on some of the imp stout

Did anybody get any Founders Imperial Stout?

I went to three places today. One had sold out. One was limiting your purchase to one 12 oz single. The third had one four pack left, and I got it. Next up, Founders KBS, which will be even harder to grab.

Drank two Founders Double Troubles earlier today. Damn, talk about a beer that sneaks up on you. It's 7pm and I'm done.

slappy

« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2011, 10:21:13 pm »
I noticed Fairfax Total Wine had Founders Breakfast Stout 4packs last week. They may have had Imperial Stout. I like the Southern Tier Imperial Stouts a little more so I didn't pay close attention.
Isn't it a little early for KBS? I thought it wasn't ready until March?

James Ford

« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2011, 10:38:54 pm »
Yes, KBS is in mid-March.

Founders Breakfast Stout is a bit easier to find than Founders Imperial Stout. Not sure why they limit the Imperial Stout so much.

What's your favorite Southern Tier stout? Choklat?

I noticed Fairfax Total Wine had Founders Breakfast Stout 4packs last week. They may have had Imperial Stout. I like the Southern Tier Imperial Stouts a little more so I didn't pay close attention.

slappy

« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2011, 06:00:08 pm »
Yes, KBS is in mid-March.

Founders Breakfast Stout is a bit easier to find than Founders Imperial Stout. Not sure why they limit the Imperial Stout so much.

What's your favorite Southern Tier stout? Choklat?

Yes to Choklat!
I dig the aroma of FBS but for me, I like a higher gravity. I'll have to try their Imperial Stout again. I had it once but was getting a licorice vibe that I didn't like. May have just been some strange batch or serving temperature?
I hope to get some KBS this year and blind taste it to Choklat for a real comparison.

Anyone been to Savor in the past? I'm wondering if it's worth the $.

fatskippy

« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2011, 06:03:03 pm »
Founders Imperial Stout tastes like it would be better with a few years of age whereas I don't think Breakfast Stout would really benefit from any aging.  I wish their Imperial Stout wasn't so limited, I've already drank my supply.

James Ford

« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:11 am »
Monday's Valentines meal (at home):

Grilled Salmon, sweet potato fries and spinach salad with Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale

Dessert: Dark Chocolate with Dieu De Ciel's Peche Mortel (sure wish I had brought back more than a six pack from Montreal last summer)

James Ford

« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26:12 am »
This was the draft beer list I faced at happy hour at Georgetown Birreria Tuesday (guess which two beers were gone by Wednesday?)...can't remember all the prices but nothing was more than $5.

Georgetown:
Bell's Hopslam   $4/12oz
Beer Here Dark Hops   $5/12 oz
Founder?s Double Trouble $3/12oz
Mikkeller Limoncello
Haandbryggeriet Dobbel Dram
Captain Lawrence Freshchester
Firestone Walker Double Jack  $3/12oz
Green Flash Imperial IPA $3.50/12oz.
Ithaca 13th Anniversary
Left Hand Twin Sisters
Mikkeller Koppi Coffee IPA
Oskar Blues Gordon  $3/12 oz
Stone Ruination   $3.50/16 oz
Terrapin Hopsecutioner
Uintas Detour
Yards IPA
On Cask: Troegg's Nuggest Nectar $3.50/16 oz

James Ford

« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2011, 11:05:38 am »
If you're a six figure earner with no kids and an affordable mortgage looking for ways to blow your money, it's probably worth it.

Personally, if I'm going to plunk down that kind of money for something beer related, i'd rather just buy $100 or $150 worth of beer and stick it in the basement and have three months worth of beer at my disposal.

Anyone been to Savor in the past? I'm wondering if it's worth the $.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2011, 01:53:20 pm »
I wonder how well Nugget Nectar holds up in draft form.  Anyone here had it that way?

James Ford

« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2011, 03:01:54 pm »
Isn't most beer better on tap? Why wouldn't that be the case with NN?

I had a 4 oz sample last week at Churckkey, and it was pretty awesome.

I wonder how well Nugget Nectar holds up in draft form.  Anyone here had it that way?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2011, 03:21:08 pm »
Drank two Founders Double Troubles earlier today. Damn, talk about a beer that sneaks up on you. It's 7pm and I'm done.

Gee Rhett, I remember the days when a half a beer would do you in!

Not sure whether to congratulate you or call AA.  :D

i think AA has a three-drink minimum.
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2011, 04:06:14 pm »
Isn't most beer better on tap? Why wouldn't that be the case with NN?

I had a 4 oz sample last week at Churckkey, and it was pretty awesome.

I'm not convinced of that - but I concede that most people would disagree with me.

I nearly bought a 1/8 keg of NN last year to take over to a friend's beer box.  Might do it this year if he lets me stixk my head under the tap every day after work. 

fatskippy

« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2011, 05:00:10 pm »
Most beer is definitely better on tap than from the bottle.  Bottled beer is pasteurized and preservatives and carbonation are added to make sure it can last a while on the shelf without needing refrigeration.  None of this is done with keg beer, which is why it always needs to be refrigerated and typically tastes smoother and cleaner from the tap.

Savor is well worth it if you're a craft beer fan and want to try some beers you can't typically get in this area.  It's also a nice night out and something different from what you'd typically do on a Fri or Sat.  If you're sweating $110, then this probably isn't the right city for you to begin with. 

slappy

« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2011, 03:40:03 am »
There are some variables that could make a tap not as good. Dirty lines to the keg and over/under carbonation, not stored at proper temp. But they'd be the exception not the rule.

Domestic beer kegs generally aren't pasteurized just filtered for bacteria and carbonated to various amounts.
Any foreign brewed beer keg is both pasteurized and filtered for transport, pretty much the same as the bottled.
Cask brews generally aren't pasteurized or have added carbonation beyond the naturally occurring.
(Learned from visiting a friend at Full Sail)

In the UK all kegs are pasteurized, filtered, etc. only casks aren't. (learned at Fullers brewery)