Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181611 times)

slappy

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 08, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »
So  -  did anyone try to get SAVOR tickets? 

I'm in need of a couple for either night, if anyone happens to have tickets in their plans change...

Tried and failed.  2 tickets sold on ebay for $634
They would be wise to expand further next year. Either go to the convention center like GABF does in Denver or make it like a SXSW for beer and have multiple venues.
Bell tweeted the reason they won't be at SAVOR is they didn't win a lottery position. Apparently brewers submitted a request and names were then selected out of a hat. (At least that's Bell's slant, they may have balked at putting up cash to be a sponsor?)

James Ford

« Reply #301 on: March 09, 2011, 12:21:11 pm »
The Post seems to have improved their selections for their annual Beer Madness brackets

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/foodanddining/features/2011/beer-madness/?sid=ST2011030804430

walkonby

« Reply #302 on: March 09, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »
so i broke down and drank the rarest beer in the world that has been sitting in my basement for three years.

good god . . . it was horrible.  tasted like an old boot from an ogre who had used the thing to wipe his armpit with before serving you this beer inside it.

dave24

« Reply #303 on: March 09, 2011, 03:00:11 pm »
So  -  did anyone try to get SAVOR tickets? 

I'm in need of a couple for either night, if anyone happens to have tickets in their plans change...

Tried and failed.  2 tickets sold on ebay for $634
They would be wise to expand further next year. Either go to the convention center like GABF does in Denver or make it like a SXSW for beer and have multiple venues.
Bell tweeted the reason they won't be at SAVOR is they didn't win a lottery position. Apparently brewers submitted a request and names were then selected out of a hat. (At least that's Bell's slant, they may have balked at putting up cash to be a sponsor?)

Yes - unless a brewery is a major contributor, they have to be part of the lottery system.  Stone isn't even there this year.  But - it brings new breweries each year and beers that aren't distributed around here... I don't dislike the system.  Plus - there are so many events around town leading up to Savor - you can find some nice stuff to partake in even if you don't go to the main event...

dave24

« Reply #304 on: March 09, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »
so i broke down and drank the rarest beer in the world that has been sitting in my basement for three years.

good god . . . it was horrible.  tasted like an old boot from an ogre who had used the thing to wipe his armpit with before serving you this beer inside it.

Some beers are NOT meant to be cellared - not sure what 3 years aging did to this one... I can't speak for it though as I've never tried it...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #305 on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:46 pm »

at 1:00 pm on a wednesday?  a little early, innit?
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #306 on: March 09, 2011, 03:54:54 pm »
Yeah, think you held onto it a little too long. 

James Ford

« Reply #307 on: March 12, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »
On draft for lunch, my wife and I split:

16 oz Troeggs Nugget Nectar
16 oz Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
12 oz Whiskey Barrel Aged Flying Dog Imperial Gonzo

all for $4 each.

and a grilled gouda and apple sandwich with chips and grapes for $8.

yum.

walkonby

« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2011, 10:08:21 am »
i have fallen in love with a new beer . . . one that i normally would have stayed away from.  one that, due to the description, i would never dream of ordering or curling my nose at such a concoction.  then i had a excellent beer from belgium first, so who cared about the second after feeling pretty fine.  the name was founders, the beer was backwoods bastard.  dear lord, i'm head over heels.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:12:08 pm by walkonby »

James Ford

« Reply #309 on: March 14, 2011, 11:54:14 am »
Great beer! i have a single from 2009 and a four pack from 2010 sitting in my basement.

i have fallen in love with a new beer . . . one that i normally would have stayed away from.  one that, due to the description, i would never dream of ordering or curling my nose at such a concoction.  then i had a excellent beer from belgium first, so who cared about the second after feeling pretty fine.  the name was founders, the beer was backwoods bastard.  dear lord, i'm head over heels.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2011, 02:38:34 pm »
The beer is okay but the commercial is pretty cool:

Sapporo

James Ford

« Reply #311 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15:57 pm »
churchkeydc
.TONIGHT: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout! Tapping This Killer Keg at 4PM! A tiny quantity beer we're all super excited about...

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #312 on: March 15, 2011, 04:46:19 pm »
that sapporo commercial is very well done.

and damn you, churchkey, for not opening closer to my neck of the woods.  then again, i'd probably drop $30 a night there if i lived anywhere nearby.

James Ford

« Reply #313 on: March 15, 2011, 04:52:17 pm »
I saw at ChurchKey last night and asked about KBS and the bartender said:

"You know what?  Our beer director likes to hold on to new things for a while, before rolling them out. If I had to guess?  It'll probably be a month or so before we tap that.""

How's that for a whopper of a lie? Probably a former Bush administration employee.

i'm not going tonight, but my wife did pick up a four pack earlier today. $20. Ouch.

walkonby

« Reply #314 on: March 15, 2011, 05:36:03 pm »
i find it strange that my picture of founder's backwoods bastard from google won't show.  so i replaced it with another . . . and now it won't show either.  the beer is speaking to me through the forum. 

but then now the replacement does show after i posted this.  the beer is that good.