Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181639 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2011, 05:23:55 pm »
Bell's Oberon is good, but for that category (American pale wheat ale), Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin is my favorite.

You gotta try Cuvee van de Kaiser Blau. That's one of my favorite Belgians.

I'm going to try Firestone Walker Double Jack on draft tomorrow for the first time!

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #346 on: April 09, 2011, 05:39:03 pm »
Glad to see the The Beer Thread is still going strong.

Has anyone tried Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout? I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. This was draft; can't vouch for the bottles.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/43687

Southern Tier is so good, I haven't had this one though. They make my favorite pumpkin beer: Pumking which I just recently drank the last of, as they are worth hoarding.
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2011, 08:48:58 am »
You gotta try Cuvee van de Kaiser Blau. That's one of my favorite Belgians.

done - tried it last night.  i liked the caramel after-taste.  it's tastier than the rood (red) but it still had a strange bitterness on the tip of the tongue to it that was, well, strange.  i'd buy it again.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2011, 02:09:33 pm »

walkonby

« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2011, 05:33:16 pm »
i shop at food lion.  so there.  i like how they have basic good beers (magic hat, redhook, sam adams, etc...) "on sale" for $9 a six pack.  since when is $9 for sam adams a fucking "sale"?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »
recently i've been working near a wegmans in VA so i've been stocking up on beer there.  i paid $9 for a sixer of bell's oberon.  currently sipping my first one as i type this - tasty & absolutely worth the price, i'll be buying this again.

charging more than $7 for a six of sam in a grocery is stupid.  paying that is obviously worse.

incoming: derisive comments about you qualifying magic hat, redhook and sam adams as "good beers".  or at a minumum i've just headed them off at the pass ;D
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2011, 06:32:28 pm »
beer prices have gone up...stella, sierra are now 8.99 for six.. i wouldn't expect to see sam adams for 6.99 unless on sale..

walkonby

« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2011, 06:54:24 pm »
recently i've been working near a wegmans in VA so i've been stocking up on beer there.  i paid $9 for a sixer of bell's oberon.  currently sipping my first one as i type this - tasty & absolutely worth the price, i'll be buying this again.

charging more than $7 for a six of sam in a grocery is stupid.  paying that is obviously worse.

incoming: derisive comments about you qualifying magic hat, redhook and sam adams as "good beers".  or at a minumum i've just headed them off at the pass ;D

you see, foodlion in the country works like this.  sam adams, redhook, stella, st.pauli's, etc... are considered "good beer" . . . because they have this teeny tiny section dedicated to them, while the rest of the selection (a good football field long) is for bud, coors, natty light, and other beer flavoured piss in a can/bottle.  if there was a wegman's near me, i would be poor.

Jaguar

« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »
beer prices have gone up..

In Tax Hell Maryland, it's going to get much worse in July. The bastards approved a 50% alcohol tax increase! So, all you Marylanders may want to do some stocking up on your liquor cabinets now before it hits later on.

Maryland also sucks (most of  it) because they won't let grocery stores sell alcohol. Bunch of bastards! The only place I know of in Maryland where they seem to allow it is on the far Eastern Shore and even that's up for grabs. Worcester County just abolished their Liquor Control Board and no one knows how that will work out. Right now, the one tiny (and over priced) grocery store that sells alcohol is closing down. There's always the gas station up the street that sells a limited number of beers and such. Or that drive through liquor store in Berlin. It looks like a car wash without the soaps and suds. Well, I guess it does have 'suds' but of a different variety. Go figure! I like the liquor store with the somewhat upscale restaurant right in the middle of the store. Great cheese platters and a nice menu.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:28:44 pm by Jaguar »

wml7

« Reply #354 on: April 15, 2011, 07:33:35 pm »
my goodness Jagy, sounds like you live in the boonies part of MD  ;D

Jaguar

« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2011, 07:47:23 pm »
I call it Mayberry by the Sea.

As in Walkie's world, it has both its pros and cons.

But don't be mistaken. There's plenty of alcohol to go around. The issue is where to get it. It's everything else that's sometimes difficult to obtain. No Wegman's, no Trader Joe's...  :'( :'(  That's why I do my stocking up from those stores while on the Western side of the shore.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:50:31 pm by Jaguar »

James Ford

« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2011, 09:53:05 pm »
Sierra still $6.99 at my Total Wine and Whole Foods. $5.99 if you have a coupon at Total Wine.

beer prices have gone up...stella, sierra are now 8.99 for six.. i wouldn't expect to see sam adams for 6.99 unless on sale..

redsock

« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »
i was in a celebratory mood yesterday and went on a beer shopping binge.  drank last night:

- http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/red-white.htm
strange brew.  the spice, grape and wood tastes really take over, to the point where one might forget that this is beer.  interesting but not sure i'd buy it again.  spendy too - $12 for a big bottle.

- http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gouden-carolus-cuvee-van-de-keizer-rood-red/86944/
another weird spicy number.  i'm a fan of belgian beer, especially witbier, so i had high hopes for this one.  it was damn tasty but the pungent herb-y smell was a bit much by the end of the bottle.  very thick mouthfeel (just learned that word).  i'll be keeping my eye out for the darker "blue" version.

currently sitting in the basement:

- http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/8-Oberon%20Ale
i'm not very familiar with bell's, but i do love me some wheat beer and based on popular opinion of this brewery i figured i couldn't go wrong here.  anyone tried this?  i was going to try one tonight but the crap weather is putting me in a dark beer mood. 

- http://www.olddominion.com/brews/ --> millenium ale, 3rd from the bottom 
the store mentioned that this beer contained a touch of honey.  online reviews claim that this beer ages well, so it might sit in the cellar for a while.

The Red and White isn't bad, my fiancee really likes it. Have a bottle chilling the fridge as we speak.

Oberon is one of my favorite, fairly easy to find, summer beers. The herald of good weather in my mind.

I just got a cheap ($8.99) six pack of Millennium Ale from Wegmans. Looking forward to trying it, but not sure how long I can hang on it to. Cool dark places are hard to come by in the city. Let me know if you try one out. I'm not a strong lover of Barlywines, but the idea of adding honey to the mix sounded good. And it generally gets fantastic reviews.

walkonby

« Reply #358 on: April 18, 2011, 10:09:23 pm »
i am heading to the beach.  i am heading to the "semi scary" suburbs of northern va to find good beer.  do i go to wegmans, which would be gainesville for me, or the total beverage near the fair oaks mall.  which is a better choice for six pack and single selection, as well as best price, because i will choose one only to hit.  thank you for your help.  or do those stores have websites to see selections?  i never thought of that.  darn it.

redsock

« Reply #359 on: April 18, 2011, 11:25:10 pm »
i am heading to the beach.  i am heading to the "semi scary" suburbs of northern va to find good beer.  do i go to wegmans, which would be gainesville for me, or the total beverage near the fair oaks mall.  which is a better choice for six pack and single selection, as well as best price, because i will choose one only to hit.  thank you for your help.  or do those stores have websites to see selections?  i never thought of that.  darn it.

While the Wegman's prices are prolly better, I'm thinking you will get a much better selection at Total Beverage.