Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181189 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #375 on: May 12, 2011, 08:02:22 am »
Mission Street beers are brewed by Firestone Walker in California, mentioned in my post above. Some of Trader Joes other beers are brewed by Goose Island (Chicago), and their Vintage Ale is brewed by Unibroue (Quebec).

I've had the Mission Street IPA. Not amazing, but definitely solid/good.

econo-beer recommendation: Mission St., available only at Trader Joe's as far as i know.

the 2011 Anniversary Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/562/67292) is recommended considering the price.  described as an "imperial brown ale", it's got great caramel and nutty overtones.  i'm betting this one will age nicely.  i'll be grabbing a case this weekend and promptly forgetting it in the basement.

the hefeweizen (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/562/59119) is pretty solid too.  neither of these two beers is going to become your all-time fav, but they're definitely above average (at a below-average prices).

they also make a blond, a brown, a pale ale and an IPA but i haven't tried them.  might pick up some along with the case of anniversary just to try them out.

walkonby

« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2011, 05:23:37 pm »
so i made the mistake of trying a beer by "just grab one" after staring a six packs that my local supermarket calls an "attempt."  The brewery was starr hill in c-ville and i usually have liked what they put out.  but this one, this

was horrible and tasted like if gingerale was beer.  i fart in it's general direction.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2011, 11:50:18 pm »
Space Beer

Interesting article even though it's a bit over-simplified. Hits the basic details which is all that's really needed for their purposes.

Personally, I don't see it working or being worth the trouble unless they create a gravity bar that sustains itself with its own gravitational force field. Now that could be cool once they get all the other space travel details in place.

Once that's set up, Seth, you might be able to get your new best buddy Richard to let you book the club scene. I can see it now! The 9:30 Club: A Space Odyssey - A new concept in Space Music.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2011, 02:03:21 pm »
since i've been having trouble locating a reliable supply of Russian River Brewing Co.'s "Pliny the Elder" I've found a suitable substitute- Ninkasi Brewery's "Tricerahops."  it's also a double IPA, and it compares well, in my opinion, to Pliny the Elder.
OU812

James Ford

« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »
My brother found a Pliny the Elder in Seattle and sent it to me for my birthday. It will be my first. I really need to drink it soon.

I've had Tricerahops. Very, very good.

brennser

« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2011, 05:02:46 pm »
Just got back from a trip to San Diego. Had no car to was limited to downtown. Enjoyed trips to Coronado brewing (schwarzbier and an Idiot IPA), Pizza Port (sharkbite red, tarantula black IPA and Alesmith speedway stout) and Downtown Johnny Browns (something sour, can't remember exactly what though  ;D)

Also, thanks to Southwests bags fly free dealio I also hit up a great bottle shop and checked a case of mixed Russian River, Alesmith, Ballast Point, Lost Abbey and Port.  ;D

fatskippy

« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »
I finally tried the DC Brau Public Ale.  It's not bad but way overpriced at $11.99 for a 6 pack.  I am fine paying that price for a worthwhile craft beer, but not an average pale ale that isn't any better than Sierra.

Bagley

« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »
Fortunate to grab a kegcan of Bell's Hopslam up in Pa. last month.  Couldn't believe it was still around. Truely a thing of beauty.....waiting for just the right time to tap!   Been getting it the last three years or so upon release in bottles but never had the pleasure of a draft.

slappy

« Reply #383 on: May 18, 2011, 05:32:12 pm »
Anyone have any experience with milk stouts? Sounds like it's similar to a guiness, a little sweeter with a hint of chocolate and/or coffee. I hear Left Hand makes a good one.
I'd check out Duck-Rabbit's, probably the best brewery in NC. They focus only on making dark beer without much marketing, brewpub, etc. You'd think they were in Asheville with all the dark brews, but are actually near the coast. It's fairly easy to find locally.

Williamsburg Alewerks also has a few good milk stouts but I think they're seasonal?

Mackeson XXX used to be my favorite but isn't brewed in the US anymore. UK version isn't as high an ABV.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
Was in Wisconsin last week and got to enjoy a full keg of New Glarus' "Spotted Cow," which I love.  Also tried Ale Asylum's "Bedlam" which was really, really tasty......
OU812

James Ford

« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2011, 07:59:14 pm »
Stone and Lost Abbey and others are accessible via public transportation, just sayin.

http://www.sandiegoisbrewing.com/2010/04/sprinter-san-diego-breweries.html

Just got back from a trip to San Diego. Had no car to was limited to downtown. Enjoyed trips to Coronado brewing (schwarzbier and an Idiot IPA), Pizza Port (sharkbite red, tarantula black IPA and Alesmith speedway stout) and Downtown Johnny Browns (something sour, can't remember exactly what though  ;D)

Also, thanks to Southwests bags fly free dealio I also hit up a great bottle shop and checked a case of mixed Russian River, Alesmith, Ballast Point, Lost Abbey and Port.  ;D

brennser

« Reply #386 on: May 19, 2011, 08:58:07 am »
just being pedantic more like

I had about 5 hours on Sunday afternoon and didn't want to spend 2 of those on a train, or to spend 40 minutes walking the mile to and from Lost Abbey and Stone

And I'm really not that crazy about Stone beers

Venerable Bede

« Reply #387 on: May 19, 2011, 12:54:41 pm »

tried their 2010 vertical epic. . . .it was terrible.  course, i realize i defeated the purpose of an epic vertical by drinking it early, but still. . .the chamomile was overwhelming.
OU812

James Ford

« Reply #388 on: May 19, 2011, 01:33:34 pm »
Ah, that makes sense.

I'm not a big Stone fan either. I haven't met one I'd turn down, but still a bit overrated.

just being pedantic more like

I had about 5 hours on Sunday afternoon and didn't want to spend 2 of those on a train, or to spend 40 minutes walking the mile to and from Lost Abbey and Stone

walkonby