Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181830 times)

brennser

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2011, 02:53:38 pm »
Epic beer weekend - in addition to the normal fare on offer at various BBQs

On Saturday with an old friend in town I cracked open bottles of Pliny, Blind Pig, Gnomegang, Ozzy, Brooklyn 1 and KBS among others

Sunday BBQ and Beer at the Big Hunt with more KBS on draught, New Holland Mole Ocho and Evolution barrel aged RIS

Monday evening was the launch of 3 Stars brewing "Syndicate" Saison at Churchkey - very crisp and refreshing, the peppercorns add a nice bite

walkonby

« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2011, 03:12:58 pm »
where in northern virginia, can one find a good selection of founders beer that is carried on a regular basis?  i went to that bastard wegmans in gainsville and they had no founders.  how dare they!  i came to the conclusion that i did not like their beer selection though i did purchase a few, tall corsendonks and maybe one four pack of ommegang abbey.  i showed them.

James Ford

« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2011, 03:22:51 pm »
Whole Foods in Fairfax, Norm's in Vienna, or Rick's in Alexandria.

Total Wines sometimes, but they can be hit and miss.

Whole Foods currently has Founders Old Curmudgeon 09 and Founders Red Eye on draft.

where in northern virginia, can one find a good selection of founders beer that is carried on a regular basis?  i went to that bastard wegmans in gainsville and they had no founders.  how dare they!  i came to the conclusion that i did not like their beer selection though i did purchase a few, tall corsendonks and maybe one four pack of ommegang abbey.  i showed them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:07:02 pm by James Ford »

hemisphire

« Reply #393 on: May 31, 2011, 04:13:07 pm »
Whole Foods currently has Founders Old Curmudgeon 09 and Founders Red Eye on draft.

And note that different Whole Foods have different beers on tap - my local ones (Vienna, Reston and Fairfax) generally update on Facebook.

walkonby

« Reply #394 on: May 31, 2011, 04:15:22 pm »
nice.  i love fellow beer snobs.  thanks.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #395 on: June 01, 2011, 06:04:41 pm »
Tried out a slew of beers over the weekend....

Bought a box of Sierra Nevada's "Boot Camp" sampler- Fail.  the California Common was probably the best of them all.  The double IPA was way too bitter on the back end, the Juniper Black Ale did not get good marks, and the weizenbock was ok.

Sierra Nevada Ovila dubbel-  very good.

Sam Adams' 48th Parallel IPA- meh

Sam Adams' Double Bock imperial- this was my favorite mass produced Sam Adams; still enjoyed this one.

Lost Abbey Inferno- that was pretty nice

Full Sail Hop Pursuit- solid.
OU812

James Ford

« Reply #396 on: June 01, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »
We did a comparison of a two month old Pliny the Elder and a 4.5 month old Hopslam (our next to last one of the year) over the weekend. The Hopslam had lost a little bit, but both very nice.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2011, 01:18:32 pm »
another one of those deal-of-the-day thingies:

$12 for a Five Beer Flight plus a Full Pint at RFD
http://sowhatsthedeal.com/promotions/12-five-beer-flight-plus-full-pint-rfd
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2011, 02:35:23 pm »
I know where I'll be drinking beer in July. Hopping for some Three Floyds and Russian River, for starters.

Back again! This year even bigger and better. All July long every Paradiso location will be pouring nothing but IPAs on draft. Come try Domestic IPAs, International IPAs, Black IPAs, Imperial IPAs, Wheat IPAs and IPAs not normally in DC.
Paired with our special pizza, ?IP(izz)A?

walkonby

« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2011, 02:41:29 pm »
i must upload pics of my latest purchase.  a good beer haul is such a delightful feeling.  some of these beers hopefully will be new ones on most but all will be "da bomb."

and i never understand ipas.  god i hate ipas.  i don't even know why i hate them.  i just do.

James Ford

« Reply #400 on: June 24, 2011, 02:55:30 pm »
I hated them too, when I was a beer beginner. Back when I though Magic Hat made good beer and Guinness was the best stout.

Don't worry, you'll get there.  ;)

We're going to Rehoboth Sunday. Time to stock up on Dogfish 90 and Palo Santo at cheap prices and no sales tax.

i must upload pics of my latest purchase.  a good beer haul is such a delightful feeling.  some of these beers hopefully will be new ones on most but all will be "da bomb."

and i never understand ipas.  god i hate ipas.  i don't even know why i hate them.  i just do.

walkonby

« Reply #401 on: June 24, 2011, 03:15:32 pm »
i like people who look with learing eye at those who find delight in magic hat.  i like number nine.  the rest . . . ehhh.  guinness is harrible road tar, but i do like their harp in a basic food store selection.  i also like rolling rock every now and again, so there.

Unsanity

« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2011, 03:43:43 pm »
Magic hat has some good flavors, #9  especially. The spring seasonal Vinyl is nice too. Total Wine had it on sale $3.99 a sixer and I bought a case!

James Ford

« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »
Wow, I'm going to the beach at the right time. Check out the draft list. Have to limit myself at dinner time, but I'll be good and drunk by the time I hit the beach post-lunch.

Beers On Tap
(updated 6/24/11... for the absolute latest: 302-226-BREW)

Coco Loco (A Brewpub Exclusive, get it while you can!)

Noble Rot (on tap Friday, 6/24 at noon)

Ta Henket (on tap Friday, 6/24 at noon)

Olde School Barleywine (on tap Friday, 6/24 at noon)

Bitches Brew (on tap Friday, 6/24 at noon)

120 Minute IPA (on tap Friday, 6/24 at noon)

Theobroma

My Antonia

Festina Peche

Pangaea

Lawnmower

Raison D'Etre

Chicory Stout

Indian Brown Ale

Sah'tea

Palo Santo Marron

90 Minute IPA

60 Minute IPA

Black & Red

Zeno

Burton Baton

On Cask - 75 Minute IPA (with a cask of Spicy China right behind it!)

Dogfish Head Beach Beer (non-alcoholic birch beer

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2011, 04:00:54 pm »
We're going to Rehoboth Sunday.

I'll keep an eye out for you when I drive through.  ;)

For the record, I can't stand anything that Dog Fish makes. Even the more wine-like version. It's all just nasty tasting to me! Would much prefer a nice glass of wine.