Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181805 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #495 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:25 am »
and don't ask me why . . . but i am digging

I have never seen that!  Will have to check it out.  Thanks!

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #496 on: August 05, 2011, 12:49:42 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #497 on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »
and don't ask me why . . . but i am digging

I have never seen that!  Will have to check it out.  Thanks!

so i'm in my local food lion.  gosh darn it, i love food lion . . . and i was looking for another sixer of newcastle summer ale, when i ran across this

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #498 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:16 am »
oh . . . dirty bastard, yee was just knocked off the top

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #499 on: August 07, 2011, 11:37:05 am »
this is good too . . . harder to find

James Ford

« Reply #500 on: August 08, 2011, 11:47:12 am »
I know it would be more impressive if I posted the bottles...but too busy at work...

Went to favorite Fairfax County beer joint with wife and daughter Friday night. Started by splitting a Founders Devil Dancer and Avery Maharaja, both on draft. Finished with a Stone IPA draft, but it tasted like water after the first two. Heard they put a keg of Sculpin on once the Devil Dancer kicked.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #501 on: August 08, 2011, 12:03:50 pm »
founders's devil dancer . . . worth the look?  only seen it, never enjoyed.

James Ford

« Reply #502 on: August 08, 2011, 12:27:12 pm »
If you like exceedingly hoppy ipa's, it's one you need to try. (I seem to recall you not being in that category).

It doesn't come cheap. I bought a single 12 oz when in NYC for $5.25 (at a beer store). It may already be gone from area shelves.

To be honest, it's a bit much for me. And I normally like my ipa's extra hoppy (The only other ipa that was too much for me was Dogfish 120). My wife loved it though. Said it tasted like "liquid weed." Whatever that means.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #503 on: August 08, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »
before i forget - upon return from the wilds, i had a bunch of local duluth/MN beers: finnigan's amber (quite decent), lake superior kolsch (almost too dry & crisp for me), and some other local high hops beer whose name escapes me (predictably it wasn't my fav).  also tried moose drool (from MT), it hit the spot.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #504 on: August 08, 2011, 01:26:09 pm »
By chance were the hoppy beers either of #2 or #3 on this list of best ipa's?

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/116

Both Minnesota beers...

before i forget - upon return from the wilds, i had a bunch of local duluth/MN beers: finnigan's amber (quite decent), lake superior kolsch (almost too dry & crisp for me), and some other local high hops beer whose name escapes me (predictably it wasn't my fav).  also tried moose drool (from MT), it hit the spot.

James Ford

« Reply #505 on: August 08, 2011, 01:27:29 pm »
Wow, that Finnigan's Amber rates pretty low...

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/finnegans-irish-amber/30378/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #506 on: August 08, 2011, 01:35:27 pm »
pretty sure it wasn't one of those two IPAs.

finnigan's: it was my first beer after 10 days in the woods.  it was on tap (perhaps improving it - it was fresh?  a good batch?  better than bottled?).  i think i would have fallen in love with PBR, or hopslam, at that point ;D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #507 on: August 08, 2011, 02:55:24 pm »
I'll be in Oregon for six days and Seattle for four at the end of the month.

My head is already exploding with the beer (and wine) opportunities, and i've barely started to research.

Any recommendations on Portland/Bend/Seattle  bars/brewpubs/tasting rooms I need to hit? Beers I need to try? Of course I'm already aware of Deschutes, Hair of the Dog, Ninkasi (and Rogue and Full Sail, though I won't bother with them since i can get them here and they're not so great anyway) Wine I need to try?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #508 on: August 08, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »
If you like exceedingly hoppy ipa's, it's one you need to try. (I seem to recall you not being in that category).

It doesn't come cheap. I bought a single 12 oz when in NYC for $5.25 (at a beer store). It may already be gone from area shelves.

To be honest, it's a bit much for me. And I normally like my ipa's extra hoppy (The only other ipa that was too much for me was Dogfish 120). My wife loved it though. Said it tasted like "liquid weed." Whatever that means.

thank you for your input on the beer.  i get my founders mixed up, and the beer i realized i need opinion on was founders centennial ipa, if you have had it.  i was informed that this beer was the beer to alter my taste towards liking ipas.    your positions on beer are outranking mine . . . i know this and i accept this.   ;)   have a great time on your trip.  i explored washington state once, but not for bars or beer, but for the incredibeness of the area.  enjoy those beautiful trees. 

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #509 on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:16 pm »
I enjoyed this on my friend's porch this past Friday.  A perfect summer evening beer.