Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181941 times)

brennser

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #600 on: September 19, 2011, 06:25:50 pm »
Wow, $20 a pint. I can't imagine it was worth it (?)
The one bottle I had was not good

Unsanity

« Reply #601 on: September 20, 2011, 01:42:12 am »
Wow, $20 a pint. I can't imagine it was worth it (?)

Of course it wasn't worth 20 bucks, but hey the show was free and I got a New Belgium glass with it. I do stand by my conclusion that Clutch is the best beer from New Belgium. Its fairly unique and has a sour aroma that I found interesting. The other beers I tried from them were good I guess, but not really stand outs.

K8teebug

« Reply #602 on: September 20, 2011, 09:58:36 am »
Don't know if any of you are driving through MD this week, but Pine Orchard liquors in Ellicott City is having a huge sale with the entire store 1 dollar over cost.  I did see some hippie kid buy all the pumking, but there's plenty else to chose from.

slappy

« Reply #603 on: September 20, 2011, 11:45:44 am »

I had the Guinness Black Lager over the weekend.  Not a terrible beer, but I think I'd rather stick with regular Guinness.  Somewhere between a lager and a porter, but without the porter bite.

Have you had the Full Sail Sessions Black Lager? Just wondering how you think it compares.

James Ford

« Reply #604 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50:02 am »
When it comes to Guinness, is there anything that beats the Foreign Extra Stout? I think not.

slappy

« Reply #605 on: September 20, 2011, 12:08:23 pm »
When it comes to Guinness, is there anything that beats the Foreign Extra Stout? I think not.
I can't say definitively until I try the black lager.
When it comes to beer, drinkin' is better than thinkin' when it comes to taste.

brennser

« Reply #606 on: September 20, 2011, 02:40:43 pm »
I had a bottle last night - it was good but needed to warm up significantly for all the flavours to come through

We survived a Sunday afternoon in the National Zoo with a four year old that also included some sort of Latino festival in the zoo (I think I saw Hutch walking around with a bowl of fruit on her head!!!), so decided we needed to reward ourselves with a stop at ChurchKey on the way home.

Where we both had this amazing beer. 10.8% abv with some excellent hoppy and roasty action going on. Highly recommended, get it while you can.

K8teebug

« Reply #607 on: September 20, 2011, 03:11:07 pm »
I can't say definitively until I try the black lager.
When it comes to beer, drinkin' is better than thinkin' when it comes to taste.

I would say that it's just okay. 

K8teebug

« Reply #608 on: September 20, 2011, 08:36:03 pm »
Just got back from Frisco Grille in Columbia where they have the Clutch New Belgian on tap (for now).  It's really good!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #609 on: September 20, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »
just discovered a place where i live that has ayinger oktoberfest on draft.  but i'm not telling you anything else.

brennser

« Reply #610 on: September 21, 2011, 01:52:51 pm »
So I tried SixPoint Bengali Tiger in a can last night - did not like at all - too bitter - just generally seemed unbalanced

Yada

« Reply #611 on: September 21, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »
just discovered a place where i live that has ayinger oktoberfest on draft.  but i'm not telling you anything else.

If you live 50 miles from DC, I don't think anyone cares!!  ::)

In other news, anyone been to PI DC yet on 9th and F? Great draft and beer list.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #612 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:12 pm »

If you live 50 miles from DC, I don't think anyone cares!!  ::)

In other news, anyone been to PI DC yet on 9th and F? Great draft and beer list.

you never disappoint.

in other backwoods news . . . not bad for picking it up at seven eleven.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:32 am »
Plan to stop at the Burley Oak Brewery sometime to check it out. It's brand new and suspect it might take a little while to really take off.

Don't know if it will be all lost on me or not since I'm not much of a beer drinker at all. I never go up to the Dogfish Brewery because I cannot stand any of their products. Got a chance to taste lots of different ones at some trade show and they were all just really nasty to my pallet. Still love a nice rich Guinness on tap or maybe an ale on the sweet side. I tend to like wheat beers too. Really like Newky and a Stella, preferably on tap. Stella bottles are okay but not as sweet as on tap. So, whatever I come back and say about Burley Oak beer, take it with a fistful of rock salted beer nuts and pretzels. Generally, I tend to prefer a nice wine or cocktail over beer. Depends on my mood.

James Ford

« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2011, 08:13:27 am »
I'll grant you that a Guinness is good beer (though there are a hundred craft brwewed stouts that are equal or superior, imo).

But saying that you can't stand Dogfish and two sentences later saying you really like Newcastle and Stella is analagous to saying you can't stand My Bloody Valentine but you really like Phil Collins and Bob Seger.  ;)

Plan to stop at the Burley Oak Brewery sometime to check it out. It's brand new and suspect it might take a little while to really take off.

Don't know if it will be all lost on me or not since I'm not much of a beer drinker at all. I never go up to the Dogfish Brewery because I cannot stand any of their products. Got a chance to taste lots of different ones at some trade show and they were all just really nasty to my pallet. Still love a nice rich Guinness on tap or maybe an ale on the sweet side. I tend to like wheat beers too. Really like Newky and a Stella, preferably on tap. Stella bottles are okay but not as sweet as on tap. So, whatever I come back and say about Burley Oak beer, take it with a fistful of rock salted beer nuts and pretzels. Generally, I tend to prefer a nice wine or cocktail over beer. Depends on my mood.