Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181715 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #630 on: September 26, 2011, 10:29:40 am »
had Great Divide's Hades (a belgian ale). goddam tastiest thing i've had in a while.

other locals that i had: Boulder Beer's "Hazed and Infused" (pretty tasty, very complex, lovely smell, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130) and Avery's "Ellie's Brown Ale" (good but pretty average IMO, a brown ale aficionado assured me it was awesome, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/2894).

never made it to a brewery/tasting room because of group dynamics.  grrrr.  i happened to walk in front of the local brewers association which was unfortunately closed.  would have loved to buy some of their t-shirts, like "make beer not war" and "this is my beer.  MAKE YOUR OWN."   overall i really liked boulder.  beautiful setting, strong beer culture and a fit population.  i'd have to step up my game if i moved there ;D 

<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #631 on: September 28, 2011, 08:00:27 pm »
i like to give it up to grocery stores that try.  out in here in the country, we have country stores, convenience stores, corner markets, drug stores, small grocery stores, and a walmart . . . that sell beer.  it is a lot.  rednecks love beer.  but out of all of those choices, only one tries.  lost in a world of miller, bud, coors, michelob and anything four dollars a twelve pack, is a grocery store that totally altered the makeup of their store so they could have a better wine and beer selection, with a walk in cooler to boot.  plus single beers and everything overpriced.  but i didn't care and got one of each of these to try

1. chimay ale grande reserve (tall)

six pack of singles contained

sierra nevada torpedo (somehow i remeber hating this before, but now i like ipas)
heineken dark
heavy seas peg leg imperial stout
widmer brothers  rotator ipa
lancaster brewing  hop hog  ipa
spaten oktoberfest

(somehow i also feel that most of these, beside the chimay and spaten, of course, and maybe the heineken . . . are horrible beers and i'll hate them.)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #632 on: September 28, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »

Har har, matey. Let me know what this one is like.  ;)

James Ford

« Reply #633 on: September 28, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »
it's kind of average as far as imperial stouts go

but it is dirt cheap as far as imperial stouts go

but I'd definitely take it over anything with the name "heineken" on it

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA is top notch (but Jag wouldn't like it) as far as Heavy Seas beer go

Har har, matey. Let me know what this one is like.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:48:54 pm by James Ford »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #634 on: September 28, 2011, 08:58:05 pm »
"what kinda beer you like"

"heineken"

"heineken?! . . . fuck that shit.  pabst blue ribbon"

Jaguar

« Reply #635 on: September 28, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »
^ That just goes from bad to worse!

LOVE that movie though and that part still cracks me up.

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA is top notch (but Jag wouldn't like it) as far as Heavy Seas beer go

Thanks for the mini review.

I'll avoid this one or I'd probably be tossing my cookies overboard. Probably best that I stick with the ginger beer on this one.

Btw, would I like Flat Tire? There's a place here with a nice respectable seafaring name that advertises that they serve it at their bar. Thought that I might pop in one day and try one.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #636 on: September 28, 2011, 09:07:57 pm »
i think fat tire products are a ruse put on by some big name piss beer company to move product.  it tastes horrible and the campaign push of this beer reaks of lots of money involved.  stay away i say.  but that is just me.  i don't mind heineken.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #637 on: September 29, 2011, 12:43:48 am »
had a Starr Hill Boxcar Pumpkin Porter and a 90m IPA tonight ... really liked the starr hill, a lot more subtle than a lot of pumpkin beers
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #638 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:56 am »
ChurchKey currently has that Clutch beer. $6.50 for a 13 oz pour.

Clutch is $6.99 for 22 oz. bottle at Teeter in NoMa
(o|o)

Unsanity

« Reply #639 on: September 29, 2011, 02:37:06 am »
NoMa?

James Ford

« Reply #640 on: September 29, 2011, 06:21:20 am »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #641 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:24 am »
i think fat tire products are a ruse put on by some big name piss beer company to move product.  it tastes horrible and the campaign push of this beer reaks of lots of money involved.  stay away i say.  but that is just me.  i don't mind heineken.

New Belgium just came to the DC area.  They've been a mainstay (though not the best!) in other craft beer markets for years.   The "marketing" push you're sensing is actually just the buzz from people who are excited to finally have easy access.

That said, I agree - Fat Tire is a sour Amber Ale that I do not enjoy.  The other night I had a Super Cru, a kick in the ass brewed with Asian Pear juice.  Not necessarily an A++, but worthy of a Tuesday night buzz.  I understand their Grand Cru is worthy, but it's also quite hard to find....

James Ford

« Reply #642 on: September 29, 2011, 02:42:32 pm »
Hey Jaguar, perhaps this is the beer for you!

Got a growler of this for the weekend. Have had it before. Very sweet stout. Some would say cloyingly sweet, though I wouldn't. Tastes like a liquid Tootsie Roll.

Southern Tier Choklat is similiar, minus the coffee. Though the Mokah to be much heavier on the chocolate than on the coffee itself.

Sorry about the picture size. I never know how to downsize them.

Jaguar

« Reply #643 on: September 29, 2011, 04:12:07 pm »
Oh, these sound delicious! Definitely checking around town for something of theirs.

Check out their selections page from their website. Looks like they offer a whole lot that I might like.  :o ;D  That's saying a lot for a very minor beer drinker.

Walky, you've got to try to find some of that Old Man Winter brew. Get some soon and try it out the night of your first snow fall. Just don't let it sit around until spring. Then come back and let us know how it is.

Btw, you guys turned me off to that Flat Tire stuff. Sounds like I'd keel over dead off the bar stool before I even finished the bottle or pint. Still would like a sip just to know for myself.

brennser

« Reply #644 on: September 30, 2011, 10:16:16 am »
have we talked about Sixpoint beers yet? That Bengali Tiger IPA is nasty - kind of oily or something - dislike!