Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182039 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #660 on: September 30, 2011, 07:37:32 pm »
If u manage to score a sip oif the Founders CBS, you'll realize just how average the Peg Leg is.
   ;)
i like to give it up to grocery stores that try.  out in here in the country, we have country stores, convenience stores, corner markets, drug stores, small grocery stores, and a walmart . . . that sell beer.  it is a lot.  rednecks love beer.  but out of all of those choices, only one tries.  lost in a world of miller, bud, coors, michelob and anything four dollars a twelve pack, is a grocery store that totally altered the makeup of their store so they could have a better wine and beer selection, with a walk in cooler to boot.  plus single beers and everything overpriced.  but i didn't care and got one of each of these to try

1. chimay ale grande reserve (tall)

six pack of singles contained

sierra nevada torpedo (somehow i remeber hating this before, but now i like ipas)
heineken dark
heavy seas peg leg imperial stout
widmer brothers  rotator ipa
lancaster brewing  hop hog  ipa
spaten oktoberfest

(somehow i also feel that most of these, beside the chimay and spaten, of course, and maybe the heineken . . . are horrible beers and i'll hate them.)

high seas peg leg stout - awesome!
spaten - awesome, as always.
sierra torpedo - i think i liked it . . . but good god, can one beer have anymore ipa in it?
heineken dark - good, liked it, so there.
the others have not been drunk into a state of drunk, which is odd by now.

take that, app.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #661 on: October 01, 2011, 11:35:31 am »
Shop my brother goes to in Va said they have no idea when they will have the Founders bombers and made it sound like it wouldn't be in a day or two.  Not what i expected to hear.   :(

brennser

« Reply #662 on: October 02, 2011, 11:21:08 am »
CBS it is not but a growler of DC Braus Penn Quarter Porter is just what the doctor ordered for these colder, darker days - and at $10 the price is right

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #663 on: October 02, 2011, 11:33:08 pm »
Southern Tier:

Went out on a mission to find one of their beers to sample. Found a store that carried 3 varieties, though none of the ones that I was hoping for. They carried Imperial Big Red Ale, Imperial Iniquity and Imperial Farmer's Tan Pale Lager.

Ended up buying the Imperial Iniquity. Was very leery about it because I feared that it would be heavy on the hops. As it turned out, I was quite pleased. Very easy for me to stomach and delightful to the palette. Would definitely be happy to drink another one. Nice and dark with none of that disgusting hops taste. Not overly sweet and definitely not bitter either. Would love to try this on tap since beers always seem to taste different that way. Wondering if it would be creamier that way, like a nicely drawn Guinness. Must also add, a surprisingly clean aftertaste.

James Ford

« Reply #664 on: October 03, 2011, 08:25:49 am »
Nice! That one gets the thumbs up from me too. I know I've had it, but can't remember if it was bottle or draft. Glad you liked it too! Black ipa's are the new black.

Regarding my own Southern Tier weekend experience...Celeste and I started into our 64 oz growler of Mokah on Friday night. Thought we could get through six snifter glasses spread out over three nights. Celeste quit midway through her second glass, leaving me with the rest. There's still some left, and tonight will be the fourth night (wondering how flat it will be, was ok last night).

Hence, my conclusion is that 64 oz of 10.9% abv chocolate/coffee beer is a bit too much. Way too much. I like the intensity and flavor in small doses, but won't be getting a growler of it again. So in some ways, I'm coming around the K8teebug's way of thinking (too intense and overly flavored) in regard to at least that particular beer.

One other note: I sampled a taste of Dogfish Punkin Saturday, and decided that may be my favorite pumpkin beer. I found it more spicy than sweet, which I decided I prefer. To me, Pumking and Schlafley's are maybe a bit too sweet, Smuttynose and Post Road a bit too muted, and Dogfish Punkin, as close to good as a pumpkin beer is going to get. Still rather have a nice hoppy ipa or American style barleywine!

Southern Tier:

Went out on a mission to find one of their beers to sample. Found a store that carried 3 varieties, though none of the ones that I was hoping for. They carried Imperial Big Red Ale, Imperial Iniquity and Imperial Farmer's Tan Pale Lager.

Ended up buying the Imperial Iniquity. Was very leery about it because I feared that it would be heavy on the hops. As it turned out, I was quite pleased. Very easy for me to stomach and delightful to the palette. Would definitely be happy to drink another one. Nice and dark with none of that disgusting hops taste. Not overly sweet and definitely not bitter either. Would love to try this on tap since beers always seem to taste different that way. Wondering if it would be creamier that way, like a nicely drawn Guinness. Must also add, a surprisingly clean aftertaste.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #665 on: October 03, 2011, 09:20:37 am »
I sampled a taste of Dogfish Punkin Saturday, and decided that may be my favorite pumpkin beer. I found it more spicy than sweet, which I decided I prefer. To me, Pumking and Schlafley's are maybe a bit too sweet, Smuttynose and Post Road a bit too muted, and Dogfish Punkin, as close to good as a pumpkin beer is going to get. Still rather have a nice hoppy ipa or American style barleywine!

Me, too.  I had the first of my 2 Pumking bottles Friday night and decided that while the beer is good, it isn't for me.  Hell, I don't even like pumpkin pie.

I was at Perfect Pour Saturday night and inquired about getting a spice beer but they were unable to recommend one that I felt comfortable buying.  The guy helping then asked if I liked hoppy stuff and that's that was the end of my search for spicy beer.

K8teebug

« Reply #666 on: October 03, 2011, 01:52:21 pm »
I sampled the Flying Dog pumpkin beer at Victoria Gastropub this weekend and it was delicious.  Also had the Southern Tier Harvest which was also good!  A crisp hoppy flavor, and very drinkable.

brennser

« Reply #667 on: October 03, 2011, 04:32:58 pm »
Churchkey tapping a keg of CBS and other Founders goodies tomorrow

fatskippy

« Reply #668 on: October 04, 2011, 11:26:09 am »
Anyone had any luck finding CBS bottles yet?

James Ford

« Reply #669 on: October 04, 2011, 11:33:56 am »
Schneiders of Cap Hill and P Street Whole Foods both DON'T and WON'T have it

Ricks has cut off their waiting list

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:36:10 am by James Ford »

imbecile

« Reply #670 on: October 04, 2011, 12:27:54 pm »
Nice! That one gets the thumbs up from me too. I know I've had it, but can't remember if it was bottle or draft. Glad you liked it too! Black ipa's are the new black.

Regarding my own Southern Tier weekend experience...Celeste and I started into our 64 oz growler of Mokah on Friday night. Thought we could get through six snifter glasses spread out over three nights. Celeste quit midway through her second glass, leaving me with the rest. There's still some left, and tonight will be the fourth night (wondering how flat it will be, was ok last night).

Hence, my conclusion is that 64 oz of 10.9% abv chocolate/coffee beer is a bit too much. Way too much. I like the intensity and flavor in small doses, but won't be getting a growler of it again. So in some ways, I'm coming around the K8teebug's way of thinking (too intense and overly flavored) in regard to at least that particular beer.

One other note: I sampled a taste of Dogfish Punkin Saturday, and decided that may be my favorite pumpkin beer. I found it more spicy than sweet, which I decided I prefer. To me, Pumking and Schlafley's are maybe a bit too sweet, Smuttynose and Post Road a bit too muted, and Dogfish Punkin, as close to good as a pumpkin beer is going to get. Still rather have a nice hoppy ipa or American style barleywine!

Southern Tier:

Jag - As recommended by James (and I certainly concur with the recommendation), a keg of Bells Double Cream Stout hase arrived at ChurchKey, which means bottles should start showing up in various retailers.. well, none in Maryland.  It's beyond delicious, keep an eye out for it.

James - Completely agree about DFH Punkin being the best of the pumpkin beers.  I agree they made it spicier than most pumpkin beers (allspice, nutmeg i guess..and of course the hops), but still maintained the mainstay pumpkin beer attributes/sweetness that comes from the pumpkins and cinnamon.  I served it (well, I didn't actually serve it, the bartender did) at my wedding two years ago and it was a big hit with everyone who gave it a shot.

This is my favorite time of year for beer, with all the stouts from Bells/Founders making their way out, so my wife and I usually go on a pumpkin beer binge to kick it off.  Nothing surpassed DFH punkin for me.  Last year i first tried Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin (same as Great Pumpkin, but aged in Bourbon barrels) and it was probably second best for me, haven't seen it this year in bottles (on draft at churchkey right now) or even had it, but I remember it balancing a whole lot of flavors well.

imbecile

« Reply #671 on: October 04, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »

I was at Perfect Pour Saturday night and inquired about getting a spice beer but they were unable to recommend one that I felt comfortable buying.  The guy helping then asked if I liked hoppy stuff and that's that was the end of my search for spicy beer.

You were on the search for the Stone 15.  Please tell us you bought the giant 3 liter bottle  (or however big it was) of it that they had at Perfect Pour while you were there.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #672 on: October 04, 2011, 01:05:14 pm »
No but I did stare at it for about 10 minutes.

James Ford

« Reply #673 on: October 04, 2011, 01:14:52 pm »
What is it with the prices on the three liter bottles? Three liters is about 104 ozs, right? (750 ml Belgian size bomber=26 oz)

I once inquired about the cost of one (it was some sort of Belgian Xmas beer, can't remember what), ans was given a $100 price tag (the 750 ml was $10 or so).

Were they (Whole Foods in this case) trying to sucker somebody or are you paying for a souvenir three liter sized bottle itself?

K8teebug

« Reply #674 on: October 04, 2011, 02:05:39 pm »

I am going to Corridor this afternoon and will check for you.

They do have the Flying Dog Fear Imperial Pumpkin there which may have beat out all other pumpkin beers for me this weekend.  They are not going to get this beer at Perfect Pour.