Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181926 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1065 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:17 am »
the propane burner really made a difference this weekend.  You can get the deep fried turkey burner/pot combo at Costco for a good price!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1066 on: February 15, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »
I am a total newbie to the homebrew world.  I have alot to learn!

i'm still a newb myself, but this hobby has become an obsession.  what i lack in experience i pretend to make up in book-smarts.  reading about brewing is all i seem to do these days... when not brewing :)

it's really one of those optimizing things.  when we started having others try our beers, we saw the difference in reaction when the aesthetics were more on point with the taste.  a hazy IPA gives off the impression that they are drink a very full beer, whether that's the case or not.  we didn't like that, so switched to whirlfloc.  all personal preference!

that's a great point.  i make a point of presenting my food in a way that enhances the experience, so why wouldn't i do the same for beer.  hadn't occurred to me.  thanks!

fermcap has not made it into the arsenal yet.  we've had such a small set-up that we end up having to watch the boil like a hawk, but that'll change soon.  upgrading to a propane burner and a 15 gal brewpot.  thanks for the heads up

it also helps in controlling starters, if you make those.  a drop ensures that the yeasties don't pour krausen out of your starter flask.  obviously pointless if you're using dry yeast.

the propane burner really made a difference this weekend.  You can get the deep fried turkey burner/pot combo at Costco for a good price!

so far i've been doing everything on the gas stove in the kitchen.  i imagine that come summer i'll want to move things outside - that's a lot of heat and humidity to be putting into an AC'ed house.  gonna look into a propane burner at some point.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1067 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:49 am »

I hate to say this, and I mean no disregard to your brewing skills, but these look like something that was recycled out of a couple well used port-a-potties.

Yada

« Reply #1068 on: February 16, 2012, 09:43:56 am »

I hate to say this, and I mean no disregard to your brewing skills, but these look like something that was recycled out of a couple well used port-a-potties.

Unfortunately, that's what most home brewing set ups look like...

Confession: I've never had a home brew that I thought was absolutely delicious.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1069 on: February 16, 2012, 12:20:19 pm »
indeed, fermenting barley sugar isn't much to look at.  depending on style & technique it will clear up - that puke-colored haze on the right will eventually clear into a nice golden crystal.  it's hazy in the pic because fermentation was really active.  the yeast and the CO2 they produce were churning the contents.  it's really cool to watch, sorta like watching the surface of jupiter on high speed.  ok, fine, i think it's cool to watch  ;D

yada: i have no illusions that my early attempts at brewing will be anything more than "practice", but if/when i get a decent drink together i'll be sure to invite you over.
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #1070 on: February 16, 2012, 12:24:28 pm »
it's really cool to watch, sorta like watching the surface of jupiter on high speed.  ok, fine, i think it's cool to watch  ;D

That sounds rather psychedelic.  8)

Yada

« Reply #1071 on: February 16, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »
indeed, fermenting barley sugar isn't much to look at.  depending on style & technique it will clear up - that puke-colored haze on the right will eventually clear into a nice golden crystal.  it's hazy in the pic because fermentation was really active.  the yeast and the CO2 they produce were churning the contents.  it's really cool to watch, sorta like watching the surface of jupiter on high speed.  ok, fine, i think it's cool to watch  ;D

yada: i have no illusions that my early attempts at brewing will be anything more than "practice", but if/when i get a decent drink together i'll be sure to invite you over.

I'll take you up on this!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1072 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:57 pm »
so i was walking around my local beer storree, the talk was of distributors and whether to cater favor more toward the wine crowd or the beer buyers.  and all i could think of as i walked around with my cute little basket, was that picture of the home brewery.  the bottles i picked up seemed crisper and more inviting than before.  the ease of the transaction and the conforming conditioned rejoice of selection without slave to ogre sized piss jugs and crystal meth beakers, made me go big.  big i tell you.  the elderly woman behind the counter in a smalltown, was happy.

firestone  union jack ipa  (ruled)
firestone  double jack  double ipa  (double ruled)

allagash  dubbel reserve  (this company just keeps impressing with their brews)

Ovila  Quad  (collaboration between sierra nevada and the abbey of new clairvaux)  1/4 of series

gouden carolus  cuvee  de  keizer  2011  (damn this beer will knowk you out and engulf you)

schlafly  dry hopped  apa ale (have not tried, bought because i wanted to know what an "apa" was)

founders  centennial ipa  (besides dirty bastard . . . this still is always awesome no matter what)

ommegang  adoration  winter ale  (storage item)

langunitas  little sumpin  sumpin ale  (this brewery, which i thank james ford for first mentioning
langunitas  maximus ipa  maximus ale  (has become one my favorites.  everything they do . . . A+)

green flash brewing  rayon vert  belgian pale  (storage item)

weyerbacher  double simcoe ipa  (i must look up simcoe, for now it is all the rage.  very unique ipa)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:02:25 pm by walkonby »

Jaguar

« Reply #1073 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:55 am »
Sitting back and drinking a Lump Of Coal at the moment.

It's okay but nothing I'd bother opting for over others I've had of its ilk. Sweet and dark with licorice overtones, which I usually like, but something doesn't quite sit all that well with me with this one. Not exactly sure why. Sort of think it might be the sugars and burntness are both a little too over-powering and seem to be fighting with each other rather than mingling together making a nice blend. I wouldn't turn one down but probably won't buy it again.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1074 on: February 17, 2012, 03:35:17 am »
last night i had:

- 11.11.11 epic ale: as far as i know, this is the first chili-flavored beer i've ever had.  i quite liked it, heat wasn't over-powering.  i had it (and all the other beers here) on draft but i suspect that a bottle of this would age very nicely.
- left hand milk stout: first few sips were absolutely divine.  don't remember the last time i fell in love with a beer so quickly.  also don't remember the last time my relationship with a beer when south so quickly: by the end i had grown tired of it, the sweetness had died away, it had gotten thinner/water'ier, etc.  the last quarter of the pint was tough to get through.  in fact, i don't think i did get through it.  if i ever order this again it will be in a smaller amount.
- boulevard quadrupel: what an amazing beer to end the evening with.  i doubt anything else could have followed it up so i'm glad i had it last.  very rich and complex, amazing sweet finish.  gawd i hope they still have this when i next return (doubtful tho).

schlafly  dry hopped  apa ale (have not tried, bought because i wanted to know what an "apa" was)

weyerbacher  double simcoe ipa  (i must look up simcoe, for now it is all the rage.  very unique ipa)

i'm sure you've discovered by now that APA = american pale ale.  simcoe is a relatively new variety of hop.  it's a proprietary variety described as having an aroma made up of citrus, pine, and passionfruit.  it's unique in that regards, so you can't substitute other hops for it. 
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #1075 on: February 17, 2012, 09:35:58 am »
Has anyone ever tried growing their own hops?  I was thinking of getting some rhizomes and attempting it this summer.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1076 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:42 am »
Has anyone ever tried growing their own hops?  I was thinking of getting some rhizomes and attempting it this summer.

i have some on pre-order, so i'll be trying my hand at it this summer.  i ordered hop crowns from great lake hops (https://www.facebook.com/GreatLakesHops / http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Lakes-Hops).  crowns are second-year plants with fully formed central roots, whereas rhizomes are a small chunk of side-root that will become the central root.  rhizomes spend the first year or two setting up their root structure so cone production sometimes doesn't hit its stride until year 2 or 3.  you're more likely to get a bigger first-year crop with a crown.  crowns are more expensive, tho.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1077 on: February 17, 2012, 12:01:19 pm »
Anybody else make it to the Mad Fox Barleywine Fest?

We tried these eight, in order of preference:

1. Weyerbacher Insanity 2012 : They take their regular barleywine and age it on oak bourbon casks. This one was so good we headed right to Whole Foods and picked up a four pack that just went on sale.

2. Schlafly Oak Aged Barleywine 2011: Another oak aged barleywine, minus the bourbon. I guess the bottom line is we really like oak aged.

3. Lagunitas Olde Gnarleywine 2011: Strong flavor, hint of bourbon detected. Hard to describe, but very, very good.

4. Hebrew Jewbelation 15 2011 (cask): Possibly the most interesting tasting of the bunch. The "program" said it had a black cherry taste going, and indeed you could taste that.

5. JW Lees Harvest Ale 2010 (cask): This one is an ENGLISH style barleywine, so less hoppy than the American style barleywines. Strong malt taste rather than hoppy. Wife said it tasted "musty".

6. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 10: Always one of my go-to barleywines since a sixer is relatively cheap (2012 release is this week!), very good but tasted sort of pedestrian in this crowded field.

7. Mikkeller/Three Floyds Boogoop Buckwheat Wine 2011: So this was a wheat wine which tasted like a DIPA being called a barleywine. Very good, but not as good as other Three Floyds beers I've had.

8. Avery Hog Heaven 2011: Program described it as a "hop lovers delight". Another barleywine that tasted like a DIPA. Good, but if i wanted a DIPA, there are many real ones that taste better...and Avery makes two of those. And if i wanted a barleywine, I wouldn't go for one that tasted sort of like a DIPA!

James Ford

« Reply #1078 on: February 17, 2012, 12:02:41 pm »
Picked up a four pack of this when I was in Indiana (at the local grocery store!). Good stuff. Boulevard needs to start distributing here. and grocery stores around here (other than Whole Foods) need to carry more craft beer.

last night i had:
- boulevard quadrupel: what an amazing beer to end the evening with.  i doubt anything else could have followed it up so i'm glad i had it last.  very rich and complex, amazing sweet finish.  gawd i hope they still have this when i next return (doubtful tho).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1079 on: February 17, 2012, 01:10:52 pm »
Anybody else make it to the Mad Fox Barleywine Fest?

We tried these eight, in order of preference:

1. Weyerbacher Insanity 2012 : They take their regular barleywine and age it on oak bourbon casks. This one was so good we headed right to Whole Foods and picked up a four pack that just went on sale.

didn't make it, would have loved too.  that was a really nice selection of beers you tried there!

i'll be in VA tomorrow, i might have a look for the weyerbacher at WF.

i'd also like boulevard to distribute here.  i've only had two of their beers, and both have been excellent.
<sig>