Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181743 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1425 on: June 19, 2012, 12:27:53 am »
boulevard was a huge let down IMO.

well that's a pity.  what did you try? 

out of 5 boulevard offerings that i've tried so far, 4 have been home-runs and one has been merely ok (their wheat).  to ensure that my experience disagrees with yours, i've bought myself a bottle of Tank 7.   looks like i'll have to wait before i can enjoy it, too late for tonight.

was amazing to talk with brewers and ask them what they used, the process

must have been awesome indeed.  although i can't help but wonder if i'd feel self-conscious, being newb brewer #87,234 that day that walked up to one of those guys to ask them their opinion on my 100% crystal malt recipe.

for the $120 ticket price, i definitely felt like i got my moneys worth (for comparison... GABF wass $75, I believe).

best beer festival i've been to.

great to hear.  looking forward to next year's event.  i will make a point of telling the family not to visit me that weekend!
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1426 on: June 19, 2012, 12:31:32 am »
i think that i've just had a hop-bomb that i really enjoyed: Deschutes Hop Henge Experimental IPA (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/47434).  very smooth bitterness, hard to believe it's 95 IBU.  big fruit and malt (relatively, for a DIPA).  really thick mouthfeel.  it rides the line between a DIPA and a barleywine but the hops complexity keep it on the IPA side of the fence.  strongly recommended, if you can find it (for those who can't, i can get it weekly here in texas... lemme know what you got to trade ;D).
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1427 on: June 19, 2012, 08:52:28 am »
I've had it, and it's very good. One of the benefits of having a brother living in Seattle. Not as good as Deschutes' best beer, the Abyss (imperial stout).

Also nice to have in-laws in Indiana (Three Floyds), 90 minutes from Chicago ( with numerous others unavailable in DC).

Now if they'd just get some decent beers in upstate NY, where my mom is. (though it's an hour drive away to places selling Heady Topper)

i think that i've just had a hop-bomb that i really enjoyed: Deschutes Hop Henge Experimental IPA (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/47434).  very smooth bitterness, hard to believe it's 95 IBU.  big fruit and malt (relatively, for a DIPA).  really thick mouthfeel.  it rides the line between a DIPA and a barleywine but the hops complexity keep it on the IPA side of the fence.  strongly recommended, if you can find it (for those who can't, i can get it weekly here in texas... lemme know what you got to trade ;D).

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #1428 on: June 19, 2012, 10:14:03 am »

Now if they'd just get some decent beers in upstate NY, where my mom is. (though it's an hour drive away to places selling Heady Topper)

Founders just started distributing in upstate NY. I should have brought back some Ithaca Flower Power when I was up there last weekend.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1429 on: June 19, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »
boulevard was a huge let down IMO.

well that's a pity.  what did you try? 

out of 5 boulevard offerings that i've tried so far, 4 have been home-runs and one has been merely ok (their wheat).  to ensure that my experience disagrees with yours, i've bought myself a bottle of Tank 7.   looks like i'll have to wait before i can enjoy it, too late for tonight.

Tried tank 7 and thought it was bleh (which is kind of funny I think that... since the recent saison homebrew is ridiculously similar in ingredients), thought terra incognita was bleh (although my bottle i look forward to trying again in 4 months, i don't think the brett has had enough time), and don't recall (yeah, i was drunk) trying the rye on rye but if I did it was forgettable. 

has anyone seen the saison-brett around DC?  i'm interested to try it.

James Ford

« Reply #1430 on: June 19, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »
What an amazing half price draft list at Birreria Paradiso tonight. Anybody care to guess whuch five beers my wife and i split? (then hung around Georgetown and sobered up).

Georgetown

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
 St. Bernardus Tripel
 St. Bernardus Christmas
 St. Bernardus Pater 6
 St. Bernardus Prior 8
 St. Bernardus Abt 12
 St. Bernardus Witbier
 Glazen Toren Saison d?Erpe Mere
 Rogue Dad?s little Helper
 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
 Lavery Liopard Oir
 Weihenstephan Hefe-Weissebier
 Unibroue Blonde de Chambly
 Schlafly Summer Lager
 Tupper?s Keller Pils
 DC Brau Ground Wolf

Cask Ale:
 Pratt St. Ale House Oliver?s Bishop?s Indulgence

Darth Ed

« Reply #1431 on: June 21, 2012, 01:49:29 pm »
I love St. Bernardus. Prior 8 is probably my favorite actually.

I'm heading to Old Stein Inn this weekend. I've been there lots, but I usually stick to their drafts. Was thinking of branching out to some of their bottles this time. Has anyone had the Ettaler Kloster "Monerstary" Doppelbock?

http://www.oldstein-inn.com/menu.php?page=bier&item=draught
http://www.oldstein-inn.com/menu.php?page=bier&item=bottle

James Ford

« Reply #1432 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:30 pm »
These are the five we had and how I would grade them:

St. Bernardus Tripel    B-
St. Bernardus Prior 8   B+
St. Bernardus Abt 12   A+
Stone Imperial Russian Stout   A-
Weihenstephan Hefe-Weissebier  A+

$7.99/six pack of that last one at Total Wine makes it THE summer go to beer, bar none.

Darth Ed

« Reply #1433 on: June 23, 2012, 11:14:47 pm »
I prefer both Franziskanner's and Erdinger's Hefe-Weissbiers to Weihenstephaner's. I think Franziskanner in particular is just about the perfect Hefe-Weissbier. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:02:44 am by Darth Ed »

James Ford

« Reply #1434 on: June 24, 2012, 07:51:08 am »
The Weihenstephaner's rates a 98=world class on beer advocate.

THe Erdinger's rates a 78=average on beer advocate.

Just sayin'.

:P
I prefer both Franziskanner's and Erdinger's Hefe-Weissbiers to Weihenstephaner's. I think Franziskanner in particular is just about the perfect Hefe-Weissbier. Just sayin'.

Darth Ed

« Reply #1435 on: June 24, 2012, 09:46:33 am »
I was aware of the beer scores. In Weihenstephaner's case, I think it's dead wrong. (Franziskanner is 90 just to be comprehensive.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:48:58 am by Darth Ed »

Yada

« Reply #1436 on: June 24, 2012, 09:37:11 pm »
Lives up to the hype. Delicious.

smakawhat

« Reply #1437 on: June 25, 2012, 04:47:45 pm »
Anybody on untappd?

Yada

« Reply #1438 on: June 27, 2012, 01:24:16 pm »
Russian River beers at Church Key this weekend... and yes that includes the elusive Pliny the Elder!

James Ford

« Reply #1439 on: June 27, 2012, 03:47:40 pm »
I'll be in San Diego for work next month, where Pliny the Elder seems to be on tap virtually everywhere.

I'll be coming home with three months worth of hoppy beers in my suitcase.

Russian River beers at Church Key this weekend... and yes that includes the elusive Pliny the Elder!