Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3170949 times)

BrettnotBritt

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1485 on: August 13, 2012, 10:15:29 pm »
Just got back from Pizzeria Paradiso - what a great event. Considering I have a bottle of '11 and '12 KBS in my cellar, I went for some brews I never tried before. Ordered Backwoods Bastard, Curmudgeon?s Better Half, and Imperial Stout.

Founders is seriously one of the best breweries in the U.S.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1486 on: August 14, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »
founders bells wild one is one of the most impressive sours i've ever had.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:56:16 pm by stevewizzle »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1487 on: August 14, 2012, 10:27:41 pm »
founders wild one is one of the most impressive sours i've ever had. they really are the shit.

gonna hafta find me some of that.  i haven't come across a sour that really does it for me, then again i haven't come across a beer from Founders that i haven't loved.

currently in VT.  i will be returning with a trunk full of heady topper, if i can track some down.  apparently i'm too far south: only one store in the area carries it and they're currently sold out.  dunno if i can motivate to drive 45 mins to find some.
<sig>

Unsanity

« Reply #1488 on: August 14, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »
Founders Sour hmmmmm? Sounds cool does any Total Wine have this?

stevewizzle

« Reply #1489 on: August 14, 2012, 11:52:47 pm »
Founders Sour hmmmmm? Sounds cool does any Total Wine have this?

gonna hafta find me some of that.  i haven't come across a sour that really does it for me, then again i haven't come across a beer from Founders that i haven't loved.

i'm stupid bells makes the wild one. still highly recommended, although it's seasonal and scarce. had it at savor.

heady topper... so delicious. look out for maine lunch IPA too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:56:42 pm by stevewizzle »

James Ford

« Reply #1490 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:36 am »
Oh, c'mon. 45 minutes is nothing. i'll be in upstate NY and Montreal in a couple of weeks. Was planning on getting some Heady in Bennington (75 minute drive from where I'm visiting), but saw that they're currently not getting any.

Now the plan is to drive back to where I'm visiting from Montreal, and go through Burlington (which is getting Heady) to get there.

founders wild one is one of the most impressive sours i've ever had. they really are the shit.

currently in VT.  i will be returning with a trunk full of heady topper, if i can track some down.  apparently i'm too far south: only one store in the area carries it and they're currently sold out.  dunno if i can motivate to drive 45 mins to find some.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1491 on: August 15, 2012, 12:20:02 pm »
i'm stupid bells makes the wild one.

beer dork FAIL.

will do, thanks for the recommendation - beer dork WIN.

Oh, c'mon. 45 minutes is nothing.

it is when you've put in over 24 hours of driving in the past week.  luckily it's all taken care of now: the missus needs to be in burlington on saturday.  i'll either be chauffeuring or giving her a pick-up request.

Now the plan is to drive back to where I'm visiting from Montreal, and go through Burlington (which is getting Heady) to get there.

"so i drove to Burlington to get heady"... wait 'til your wife overhears that one ;D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1492 on: August 15, 2012, 12:28:07 pm »
My wife is resigned to my beer dorkiness. "Whatever you want", she said.

Of course, she's more of a hophead than me, so will drink 50% of any Heady we get, and even more of the pleasure.

Besides, going back through Burlington only adds an hour to the car ride, and gives a nice place to stop off for dinner at this place:  http://www.farmhousetg.com/home.html which has Hill Farmstead beers and others.

Thanks from me as well for the Maine Beer Company tip. Will have to look for their beers in Burlington!

James Ford

« Reply #1493 on: August 15, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1494 on: August 16, 2012, 09:18:47 am »
Was planning on getting some Heady in Bennington (75 minute drive from where I'm visiting), but saw that they're currently not getting any.

i recommend that you call ahead and confirm when your intended source of HT gets its delivery, then plan on being there that day or the next morning.  i've been calling around, and apparently the stuff is disappearing off shelves within 24 of delivery (often much faster).  demand is apparently through the roof.  i was told that Alchemist cans on mondays and thursdays.  i might be headed up to montpelier tomorrow (an hour away... *sigh*) to find some, since deliveries are thursday night/friday morning.  ugh.

here in southern VT they've stopped receiving HT because the brewery can't keep up with demand in their immediate area.  the guy here says he hopes to start carrying it again in november, when the brewery will be doubling its capacity.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1495 on: August 16, 2012, 09:22:39 am »
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1496 on: August 16, 2012, 09:27:12 am »
LivingSocial Craft Beer and Food Truck Festival
Sept 29
Half Street Fairgrounds
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1-washington-d-c/deals/435352-livingsocial-s-beerfest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGto_11EToA
http://www.starrhill.com/events/other_event_item/livingsocials-craft-beer-food-truck-festival

the skinny: unlimited 5 oz pours from 50 breweries for $35

I'm more excited for this one.

http://www.snallygasterdc.com/

The first 25 of the 100+ we'll tap at Snallygaster, including some US debuts...

Arcobräu Zwicklbier - Arcobräu Gräfliches Brauhaus ? Germany (Draft)

Frog?s Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale ? Hoppin? Frog ? Ohio (Draft)

Freigeist Pimock ? Freigeist Bierkutur ? Germany (Draft)

Spezial Rauchbier ? Brauerei Spezial ? Germany (Draft)

Andorfer Weizenbock ? Andorfer Weizenbierbrauerier ? Germany (Draft: USA Debut)

Kraus Hirschen-Trunk ? Brauerei Kraus ? Germany (Anstich Rubber-Clad Gravity Keg: USA Debut)

Bayer Theinheim Ungespundetes Landbie - Brauerei Bayer Theinheim ? Germany (Anstich Rubber-Clad Gravity Keg)

Weißenoher Monk?s Fest - Klausterbrauerei Weißenohe ? Germany (Anstich Rubber-Clad Gravity Keg)

Mahr?s E.T.A. Hoffmann - Mahrs Bräu ? Germany (Draft)

Founders Harvest Ale ? Founders Brewing Company ? Michigan (Draft)

Southern Tier Pumking ? Southern Tier Brewing Company (Draft)

Avery Ale to the Chief ? Avery Brewing Company ? Colorado (Draft)

Etienne Dupont Cidre Bouche Brut ? Domaine Familial Dupont ? France (Cask)

Sünner Kölsch - Sünner ? Germany (Draft)

DuClaw Mad Bishop ? DuClaw Brewing Company ? Maryland (Draft)

Lagunitas Daytime IPA ? Lagunitas Brewing Company ? California (Draft)

Schneider Wiesen Edel-Weisse ? Weissbierbrauerie G. Schneider & Sohn ? Germany (Wood-Clad Gravity Keg)

Hofstettner Hochzeitsbier von 1810 ? Brauerei Hofstetten-Krammer ? Austria (Draft)

Sixpoint Autumnation ? Sixpoint Brewery ? New York (Draft)

Peak Organic Fall Summit ? Peak Organic Brewing Company ? Maine (Draft)

Weihenstephaner Festbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan ? Germany (Draft)

DC Brau & Epic Fermentation Without Representation Imperial Pumpkin Porter ? DC Brau & Epic Brewing Company ? Washington, DC & Utah (Draft)

Leipziger Gose ? Bayerischer Bahnhof ? Germany (Draft)

Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale ? Sierra Nevada Brewing Company ? California (Draft)

Allagash Hugh Malone ? Allagash Brewing Company ? Maine (Draft)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1497 on: August 16, 2012, 09:28:47 am »

fatskippy

« Reply #1498 on: August 16, 2012, 11:01:34 am »
LivingSocial Craft Beer and Food Truck Festival
Sept 29
Half Street Fairgrounds
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1-washington-d-c/deals/435352-livingsocial-s-beerfest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGto_11EToA
http://www.starrhill.com/events/other_event_item/livingsocials-craft-beer-food-truck-festival

the skinny: unlimited 5 oz pours from 50 breweries for $35

If this is anything like the one they did at the Kastles Stadium, its not worth it. Way oversold, just stood in line all day.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1499 on: August 16, 2012, 04:08:31 pm »

will do, thanks for the recommendation - beer dork WIN.

just like the heady topper, Lunch is sold out throughout the region... beer dork FAIL.

instead i picked up Maine Beer Co's "Zoe" ("our happy, hoppy amber") as a consolation.  also got Long Trail's Imperial Pumpkin (from their Brewmasters series).  both have good scores on BA.
<sig>