Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182016 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1545 on: September 28, 2012, 08:26:09 am »
We went to the first anniversary party at Smoke and Barrel last night. With this draft list, it?s a wonder I made it into work today. Fun times!

Parabola  and Double Double typically go for about $20/bomber, and they had it at $5 for a 12 oz pour (all drafts were $5). Nice.

DRAFTS FOR SEPTEMBER 27th:

3 Stars Brewing Company Coffe Pandemic Porter
Aecht Schlenkerla Helles
Anthem Hops Cider
Bavik Petrus Aged Pale
Bayerishcer Bahnof Berliner Weisse Brett Edition
BFM Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien
Boulevard Collaboration #3 (Pretty Things) - Stingo
DC Brau Barrel-Aged Corruption
DC Brau Deus Ex Machina
DC Brau / Bluejacket: Embers of the Deceased
DC Brau / Meridian Pint: Barrel-Aged Ground Wolf IPA
DC Brau / Stillwater: Middle Name: Danger
Devils Backbone / DC Brau: Fight Club Anti-Gravity Lager
Firestone Walker Double Double Barrel Ale
Firestone Walker Parabola
Firestone Walker Wookey Jack
Hofstetten Oktoberfest
Lost Rhino Sweet Spot Pilsner
Oxbow Freestyle #7
Port City Derecho Common
Stillwater Barrel-Aged Debauched
Stillwater Of Love & Regret
Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Union Craft Brewing Balt Altbier

James Ford

« Reply #1546 on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:27 am »
September 28 and I still haven't drank a pumpkin beer this year.

I do have two Dogfish Punkins and two Schafley Pumpkins so I will at some point. Couldn't bring myself to by a four or sixer of anything though.

love this time of year . . . when it comes to beers.  except pumpkin beer.  you can have that throwup.

how to make a pumpkin beer:
make a shitty beer
add a bunch of pumpkin spice

James Ford

« Reply #1547 on: September 28, 2012, 08:35:19 am »
To answer the first question...I can guess that most of them have shitty taste in beer.

How much can you guess about people from their choice of beer? The likelihood that they'll vote, for one, and maybe even who they'll vote for.

Data from 200,000 interviews gathered by Scarborough Research, showed strong correlations between a drinker's choice of brew and his or her political participation. A few beers drew from both sides of the aisle -- Fosters, Miller High Life, Bud Light and Natural Light were all smack in the middle of the spectrum. Others were decidedly left-leaning (Corona, Budweiser Select, Stella Artois), with Heineken taking the cake as the most liberal-friendly beer. Coors Light, Miller Lite, and Labatt Blue skewed strongly Republican, with Samuel Adams on top.

As far as voter turnout, Molson drinkers had the highest voting percentage among Democrats. For Republicans, Amstel Light and Sam Adams Light were nearly even.

Interestingly, National Journal points out that Dos Equis, the brewer that fell in political hot water after one of its spokesmen, "The Most Interesting Man in the World" Jonathan Goldsmith, hosted a fundraiser for President Obama, is actually one of the most bipartisan beers.

moeszyslak

« Reply #1548 on: September 28, 2012, 08:41:36 am »
Pick up a few bombers of Southern Tier's Pumpking.  $6.99 per bomber is outstanding for the beer you get.

I do have two Dogfish Punkins and two Schafley Pumpkins so I will at some point. Couldn't bring myself to by a four or sixer of anything though.

love this time of year . . . when it comes to beers.  except pumpkin beer.  you can have that throwup.

make a shitty beer

James Ford

« Reply #1549 on: September 28, 2012, 08:43:16 am »
Meh, thanks, been there, done that. I'm not a big fan of the bomber format, for any beer. Nor am I a big fan of pumpkin beer.

Pick up a few bombers of Southern Tier's Pumpking.  $6.99 per bomber is outstanding for the beer you get.

make a shitty beer

stevewizzle

« Reply #1550 on: September 28, 2012, 08:47:12 am »
We went to the first anniversary party at Smoke and Barrel last night. With this draft list, it?s a wonder I made it into work today. Fun times!

Parabola  and Double Double typically go for about $20/bomber, and they had it at $5 for a 12 oz pour (all drafts were $5). Nice.

Aecht Schlenkerla Helles
Anthem Hops Cider
Bavik Petrus Aged Pale
DC Brau Deus Ex Machina
Hofstetten Oktoberfest
Oxbow Freestyle #7
Port City Derecho Common
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

i went last night.

i feel like i had a chair smashed over my head, repeatedly, WWE-style.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1551 on: September 28, 2012, 10:06:44 am »

Aecht Schlenkerla Helles
Anthem Hops Cider
Bavik Petrus Aged Pale
DC Brau Deus Ex Machina
Hofstetten Oktoberfest
Oxbow Freestyle #7
Port City Derecho Common
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

i went last night.

i feel like i had a chair smashed over my head, repeatedly, WWE-style.

okay, order in my life has restored a little bit.  what a cool event, and some pretty fantastic beers.

Deus Ex Machina has got to be the best beer DC Brau has done.  this is a seriously kick ass IIPA.

Stillwater Of Love & Regret is herbally delicious.  this is the likely suspect for why my head is pounding.

Stillwater barrel-aged debauche was a delicious sour.

Unibroue Trois Pistoles on tap was great. i've only ever had unibroue in bottle, was a welcome change.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1552 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:04 am »
I picked up some New Belgium Red Hoptober on a whim and enjoyed it greatly, even though I'm not usually an "amber ale" kind of guy and I've disliked a couple of other New Belgiums.  It's a good seasonal alternative to pumpkin beers.
(o|o)

James Ford

« Reply #1553 on: September 28, 2012, 10:13:25 am »
Double IPA's are also a good seasonal alternative to pumpkin beers.  :D
I picked up some New Belgium Red Hoptober on a whim and enjoyed it greatly, even though I'm not usually an "amber ale" kind of guy and I've disliked a couple of other New Belgiums.  It's a good seasonal alternative to pumpkin beers.

brennser

« Reply #1554 on: September 28, 2012, 10:14:00 am »

Aecht Schlenkerla Helles
Anthem Hops Cider
Bavik Petrus Aged Pale
DC Brau Deus Ex Machina
Hofstetten Oktoberfest
Oxbow Freestyle #7
Port City Derecho Common
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

Dang - I guess there were alot of boardies there last night - I got this there around 9pm and stayed for about 90 minutes

had a parabola and a debauched - both fantastic in different ways

James Ford

« Reply #1555 on: September 28, 2012, 10:18:05 am »
Are you saying the Deus Ex Machina was better than On the Wings of Armageddon, or have you just not had the latter?  The Deus Ex Machina was apparently a "mistake" beer, accidentally created when they were trying to brew a batch of OTWOA.

We stuck to Firestone Walker stuff, except for one Stillwater Debauched. My wife had to drink that one. I think I can definitively say I'm not a sour beer guy. ..

...We even had a Cantillon Gueze when we were in Belgium, and that was a drain pour for me...luckily my wife was happy to drink that one too.

okay, order in my life has restored a little bit.  what a cool event, and some pretty fantastic beers.

Deus Ex Machina has got to be the best beer DC Brau has done.  this is a seriously kick ass IIPA.

Stillwater Of Love & Regret is herbally delicious.  this is the likely suspect for why my head is pounding.

Unibroue Trois Pistoles on tap was great. i've only ever had unibroue in bottle, was a welcome change.

James Ford

« Reply #1556 on: September 28, 2012, 10:21:12 am »
Some of their regular pricing was kind of curious...

like 12 oz of Trois Pistoles for $10 vs. 12 oz of Parabola for $10.

You can get a four pack of Trois Pistoles for 8 or 9 bucks at Total Wine, whereas a 26 oz bomber of Parabola will run you close to $20, if you can get it at all.

brennser

« Reply #1557 on: September 28, 2012, 10:26:44 am »
I tasted the Deus Ex Machina a few weeks ago at the brewery and it was not good - waaaaay too bitter

A buddy who had it last night had the same reaction to his first taste of it a few weeks ago but said it was drinking fantastically last night so I have no idea if a few more weeks mellowed it out at all

Or maybe we're just all full of shit  ::)

stevewizzle

« Reply #1558 on: September 28, 2012, 10:33:29 am »
Are you saying the Deus Ex Machina was better than On the Wings of Armageddon, or have you just not had the latter?  The Deus Ex Machina was apparently a "mistake" beer, accidentally created when they were trying to brew a batch of OTWOA.

We stuck to Firestone Walker stuff, except for one Stillwater Debauched. My wife had to drink that one. I think I can definitively say I'm not a sour beer guy. ..

...We even had a Cantillon Gueze when we were in Belgium, and that was a drain pour for me...luckily my wife was happy to drink that one too.

man, it was a mistake beer?  sometimes dc brau is deceptively good (i credit the "freshness" aspect), the hop flavor really comes out well, and is well-balanced with the aroma and bitterness. very similar to hoptimum.  OTWOA previously held the top spot for me, which is funny i failed to notice the similarities...

those firestone walker brews are delicious. they seem to have a bigger presence in DC as of late.

James Ford

« Reply #1559 on: September 28, 2012, 10:36:43 am »
Does anybody know if DC Brau ever posts what they have on draft over at the brewery, or do you just have to see what they have when you arrive?

Planning on making our second visit Saturday.