Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182046 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1575 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:30 am »
That's nice, but I don't think I'd ever have a reason to be in Columbia, MD during happy hour. Unless I lived there. And I don't.

I was there for happy hour and their prices beat the pants off of just about every beer place in DC

I agree that the beer prices are kind of expensive, but their prices are cheaper than Dogfish Head Alehouse and Churchkey DC, for example. Alcohol is taxed more in in MD than VA, so that should be taken into consideration.

K8teebug

« Reply #1576 on: October 04, 2012, 09:14:09 am »
Oh, I didn't realize that's what she was referring to.
Been there a couple of times, even though I live in NoVA.
Found the beer to be a bit overpriced and the food a bit meh. But it's Columbia, so I reckon it's slim pickings for places with good beer.

Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

http://www.friscogrille.com/beers.php

Actually, there's a bunch of really great places for beer in Columbia.  Frisco's, Victoria Gastropub, River Hill Grill, Judge's Bench.  That's where I usually go.  But, I live here, so it's a little easier for me :)

James Ford

« Reply #1577 on: October 04, 2012, 09:34:13 am »
Thanks for that list. I was aware of Victoria, it just seemed too pricey for me. i'll check out the other two. Might someday need a place to go before a Merriweather show!

Found the beer to be a bit overpriced and the food a bit meh. But it's Columbia, so I reckon it's slim pickings for places with good beer.

Actually, there's a bunch of really great places for beer in Columbia.  Frisco's, Victoria Gastropub, River Hill Grill, Judge's Bench.  That's where I usually go.  But, I live here, so it's a little easier for me :)

brennser

« Reply #1578 on: October 04, 2012, 05:18:23 pm »
I work in Baltimore 2x a week so I do have reason to be there  ;D

That's nice, but I don't think I'd ever have a reason to be in Columbia, MD during happy hour. Unless I lived there. And I don't.

I was there for happy hour and their prices beat the pants off of just about every beer place in DC

I agree that the beer prices are kind of expensive, but their prices are cheaper than Dogfish Head Alehouse and Churchkey DC, for example. Alcohol is taxed more in in MD than VA, so that should be taken into consideration.

atomicfront

« Reply #1579 on: October 04, 2012, 08:52:14 pm »

Frisco is a cool place but Victoria's gastro pub sucks balls.  I went their on a friday night and we had dinner and ordered samplers of beers and before we could finish they started flashing the lights to get us to leave.  This was around 11:00 Pm.  super lame. Never would go there again.  Food wasn't very good either.

imbecile

« Reply #1580 on: October 05, 2012, 08:52:10 am »

This is good to know.  I work in Columbia and have been to Frisco and Victoria.  They both have decent enough selections, but just weren't working for me for some reason.  I'll certainly check out the others, as I was with the general consensus here that Columbia was a beer desert.

Who am I kidding though, I have a dog who I have to go home and let out everyday, so I don't get to happy hour anymore.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1581 on: October 05, 2012, 10:33:28 am »
Victoria's gastro pub sucks balls.

Agreed.  Beer list is ok but the food is overpriced and generally so-so.

K8teebug

« Reply #1582 on: October 05, 2012, 10:34:26 am »
I love Victoria Gastropub.  Clearly you did not have the duck fat fries.  Their burger is good too.  I have never had a bad experience there and I've been going since it opened.  They also have a great brunch.  I will say that I typically go there to have a beer or two and get some fries.  I don't often go there for dinner because their food is more on the pricey side.

My favorite place these days is Judge's Bench.  I like the dive-ness of it, and it's always good people watching. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:36:18 am by K8teebug »

stevewizzle

« Reply #1583 on: October 05, 2012, 10:43:27 am »
DC blog about experimental fermentation: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/

becoming one of my favorite reads.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1584 on: October 05, 2012, 11:37:19 am »

he's a little over the deep end in terms of wild fermentation for me (i'm just not that into sours), but his site is an amazing resource.  probably the single best online resource for sour brewing.

my saison is just about done.  i'll be putting 2 gallons into jugs and pitching matilda (brett B) dregs.  won't touch it again until my birthday in february.  my first experiment with da funk.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #1585 on: October 05, 2012, 11:49:15 am »

he's a little over the deep end in terms of wild fermentation for me (i'm just not that into sours), but his site is an amazing resource.  probably the single best online resource for sour brewing.

my saison is just about done.  i'll be putting 2 gallons into jugs and pitching matilda (brett B) dregs.  won't touch it again until my birthday in february.  my first experiment with da funk.

love it!  saison+brett = match made in heaven.

imbecile

« Reply #1586 on: October 05, 2012, 12:00:48 pm »

love it!  saison+brett = match made in heaven.

Attempting a sour beer is somewhere on my short list of homebrewing, but I have read exactly nothing on the subject thus far.  Anyway, I'll certainly be checking out that page for some info to get me started whenever i get to it.

This weekend (tomorrow before FreeFest actually) I'm going to brew the Pliny the Elder recipe in the new IPA book from Mitch Steele.  What a pain it was trying to find Centennial and Amarillo, ugh.  Maybe after this hop bomb (if it remotely turns out) it'll be time to get busy on a sour.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1587 on: October 05, 2012, 05:01:26 pm »
imbecile - nice to hear we have another brewer on here.  that brings us up to four, as far as i know.  anyone else?

on the off chance you didn't already know: homebrewtalk.com is another site you should check out for info.  there is a sub-forum dedicated to wilds & sours (link).  folks are really helpful when you ask questions.  another great resource.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1588 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:36 am »
Had one of these on draft last night. Perhaps the first Sam Adams beer I've ever thouroughly enjoyed.

Yada

« Reply #1589 on: October 15, 2012, 12:12:59 pm »
Had a few great beers at Snallygaster this weekend... specifically the casked Harvest Ale by Founders.