Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182250 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1650 on: November 06, 2012, 11:23:05 am »
Cap City does give you a free $5 off coupon for your birthday. Or at least they used to. Which in essence means a free beer at happy hour. And you can use it all month long. Which in essence means a free beer five days a week. I used to do that when their Union Station location was open, which was near-ish to my workplace. Well, I didn't go everyday, but i did partake a few times a month.

As far as I know, Unibroue has always done TJ's Vintage Ale.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1651 on: November 06, 2012, 11:44:08 am »

indeed you are correct.  for some reason i thought that someone other than Unibroue did the annual vintage ales prior to 2011, but a review of BA shows that not to be the case.  also shows that the bottle design and the style (hence likely the recipe) hasn't changed either.  i haz a learning.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1652 on: November 06, 2012, 12:21:40 pm »
I was under the impression that the recipe does get tweaked every year. Not sure if i go that info from a TJ's sales associate or somewhere online.

At any rate, I know this is not the beer to bring to the in-laws house for Xmas, as it made my mother in law puke when they tried a bottle last year.

indeed you are correct.  for some reason i thought that someone other than Unibroue did the annual vintage ales prior to 2011, but a review of BA shows that not to be the case.  also shows that the bottle design and the style (hence likely the recipe) hasn't changed either.  i haz a learning.

hutch

« Reply #1653 on: November 06, 2012, 12:38:20 pm »
Are there any good Chicago or Illinois brewed beers?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1654 on: November 06, 2012, 12:55:12 pm »

Goose Island.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1655 on: November 06, 2012, 12:58:46 pm »

http://www.3floyds.com

Right down the road from Chicago. Zombie Dust FTW.

Yada

« Reply #1656 on: November 06, 2012, 01:00:01 pm »
Cool site...

Some items are extremely overpriced, others are about market price.

http://www.letspour.com

James Ford

« Reply #1657 on: November 06, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »
Half Acre. And Goose Island (though you can get that around here). Two Brothers is good too.

Even better, Three Floyds is in Munster, IN, which is just across the state line.

There are also a number of breweries whose beers are available in Chicago that aren't here. Dark Horse out of Michigan and SKA from Colorado are a couple that come to mind.

James Ford

« Reply #1658 on: November 06, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »
He asked for Illinois, not Indiana.

:P

Yada

« Reply #1659 on: November 06, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »

I knew you would be the guy to correct me on this, however, if you're willing to go anywhere in Illinois, I'm sure you'd be willing to travel 25 miles to Indiana.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1660 on: November 06, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »
maybe it is just me . . . but i think goose island went from a good beer to mass produced crap.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1661 on: November 06, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »

I knew you would be the guy to correct me on this, however, if you're willing to go anywhere in Illinois, I'm sure you'd be willing to travel 25 miles to Indiana.

it's also a tad douchy to call someone out for suggesting it - immediately after HE suggested it :D

maybe it is just me . . . but i think goose island went from a good beer to mass produced crap.

the matilda is still solid, then again that strong brett flavor is pretty hard to mess up.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1662 on: November 06, 2012, 01:23:08 pm »
Which ones are you referring to?

Their basic beers have always been pretty meh to me. Their Belgians still seem good to very good (but not as good as the real thing), and BCBS still seems top notch.

imbecile

« Reply #1663 on: November 06, 2012, 03:01:51 pm »
How odd.. I just read an article about ABInbev and their new CEO, which mentions Goose Island.  The article is meh, but I kept going as I was tired of election coverage and needed a distraction from my distraction from work.

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/78040-the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer

To sum up - ABInBev buys something, increases prices and decreases production costs, usually by sacrificing flavor, makes a lot of money and then repeats the process.  Doesn't bode well for Goose Island.

hutch

« Reply #1664 on: November 06, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »
ok thanks.. i'll see what they have in Westover if I manage to get out before the results start comin' in..