Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181807 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1665 on: November 06, 2012, 04:11:34 pm »
How odd.. I just read an article about ABInbev and their new CEO, which mentions Goose Island.  The article is meh, but I kept going as I was tired of election coverage and needed a distraction from my distraction from work.

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/78040-the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer

To sum up - ABInBev buys something, increases prices and decreases production costs, usually by sacrificing flavor, makes a lot of money and then repeats the process.  Doesn't bode well for Goose Island.

wut a sensationalist headline.  inbev sucks, their beer sucks, and the idea of sending money oversea's for beer bought in america sucks the most.

but breweries are popping up all over, and there's nothing inbev can do to stop it.  they will continue to fail in the US market, and instances like walkie taking note of goose island's shitty production as of late will only perpetuate their failure. we are developing our own beer culture throughout the states, and it has everything to do with locality, fresh ingredients, and innovative beers.

James Ford

« Reply #1666 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:50 am »
I'll be drinking an Aphrodisiaque by Dieu De Ciel today for International Stout Day. What will you be drinking?

Yada

« Reply #1667 on: November 08, 2012, 10:48:19 am »
Gotta say I was a little let down by the Zombie Dust. I guess I was misinformed but I was expecting it to be up there with Heady Topper, Pliney, and Hop Slam.

I could treat Zombie as a session brew if it was available.

James Ford

« Reply #1668 on: November 08, 2012, 10:51:53 am »
Have you had Alpha King, and if so how does Zombie Dust compare to that?

Gotta say I was a little let down by the Zombie Dust. I guess I was misinformed but I was expecting it to be up there with Heady Topper, Pliney, and Hop Slam.

I could treat Zombie as a session brew if it was available.

slappy

« Reply #1669 on: November 08, 2012, 11:40:56 am »
I'll be drinking an Aphrodisiaque by Dieu De Ciel today for International Stout Day. What will you be drinking?

Péché Mortel - DDC and a leftover 250 anniv. Guinness Stout.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1670 on: November 08, 2012, 11:58:48 am »

i have a few homebrewed sour stouts left, so i could go with those tonight.  i also have a RR RIS that i've been sitting on for six months but i was planning on aging it a year so i'll have to resist temptation.

i was hoping that Pizza Paradiso was doing something for international stout day, instead they're doing some silly "red ales for the red cross" thingy.  whatever.

i did notice they'll pouring barrel-aged Hof Ten Doormal next wednesday.  might have to look into that. http://www.eatyourpizza.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/events-110112.jpg
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1671 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:33 pm »
I was at Paradiso in Georgetown for happy hour last night. Has a Ten Fidy, among other things. Can go wrong with a Ten Fidy.

i have a few homebrewed sour stouts left, so i could go with those tonight.  i also have a RR RIS that i've been sitting on for six months but i was planning on aging it a year so i'll have to resist temptation.

i was hoping that Pizza Paradiso was doing something for international stout day, instead they're doing some silly "red ales for the red cross" thingy.  whatever.

i did notice they'll pouring barrel-aged Hof Ten Doormal next wednesday.  might have to look into that. http://www.eatyourpizza.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/events-110112.jpg

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #1672 on: November 08, 2012, 02:46:17 pm »
Came across a four-pack of Backwoods Bastard. Looking forward to aging a few of those.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1673 on: November 08, 2012, 04:36:23 pm »
Can go wrong with a Ten Fidy.

at 10.5% ABV, a lot of things can indeed go wrong ;D
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1674 on: November 08, 2012, 04:36:29 pm »
<dubbel post>
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1675 on: November 08, 2012, 05:17:40 pm »
Like leaving my credit card at the bar and not realizing it until i got to the Rosslyn Metro station, and having to walk back and get it.

At least I burned some calories.

Can go wrong with a Ten Fidy.

at 10.5% ABV, a lot of things can indeed go wrong ;D

Bagley

« Reply #1676 on: November 08, 2012, 05:55:21 pm »
2012 Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale has hit the shelves!   

James Ford

« Reply #1677 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:49 pm »
With the superior Torpedo out there, I never see the reason to buy this.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1678 on: November 08, 2012, 08:18:34 pm »
you can get torpedo all year.  the celebration is much more balanced and is a classic american IPA (chinook, cascade and centennial hops).  i too prefer the citra hops in the torpedo but once a year it's nice to swap out for an old school IPA.
<sig>

fatskippy

« Reply #1679 on: November 09, 2012, 10:45:58 am »

Love this stuff. One of my favorite beers for the price.