Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3170994 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1755 on: December 04, 2012, 07:45:25 am »
Bought a bottle of that Creme Brulee Stout last winter and was really looking forward to drinking it because it sounded like a perfect fit for me. I tend to love sweet beers. Really like creme brulees. Often like cream, caramel and vanilla based foods. My favorite coffees tend to be French Vanilla or some sort of a vanilla nut flavored. Unfortunately, when I drank that beer, I found it disgusting to the point that it was turning my stomach. Something about the flavorings were just way too intense and over-powering and not in a good way. It also tasted very artificial to me which was I think the thing that got my stomach rolling. What a dissappointment.

Lately, the beer that I've enjoyed the most is Burley Oak's Barreled. I'd recommend it to those who like Guinness and/or Newcastle Brown Ale because it has that really nice deep dark brown sweet taste without being overdone. Wouldn't go as far as saying it's like mixing the two but it would tend to appeal to those who like these beers. It's thinner and lighter tasting than Guinness but richer and tastier than Newcastle. The downside is that about the only way to get your hands on this stuff is to go straight to the brewery. You can buy growlers of it but those things are too big for my refrigerator shelves and I just can't drink that much beer in that short of time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:53:12 am by Jaguar »

Darth Ed

« Reply #1756 on: December 04, 2012, 01:15:34 pm »
Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout is released in June, according to their website. if you bought it in the winter, i suspect it was sitting on the shelf for a long time. Also, I've had it both ways, and it tastes far better on draft in my experience. It's supposedly flavored with real creme brulee, but I do wonder how that is possible. The flavor is very intense, and it certainly may not be for everyone.

James Ford

« Reply #1757 on: December 04, 2012, 11:11:09 pm »
Cantillon at Walgreens?

And look at the other beers sold at Walgreens.

http://www.beermenus.com/places/5877-walgreens-greektown

Jaguar

« Reply #1758 on: December 04, 2012, 11:40:31 pm »
Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout is released in June, according to their website. if you bought it in the winter, i suspect it was sitting on the shelf for a long time. Also, I've had it both ways, and it tastes far better on draft in my experience. It's supposedly flavored with real creme brulee, but I do wonder how that is possible. The flavor is very intense, and it certainly may not be for everyone.

No, don't think it was the aging that turned me off. If there was a difference due to age, it was only minimal. It was that very heavy artificalness that I just couldn't stomach. Sort of like how I can't stand those flavored coffee creamers. They all sound wonderful and I would usually love all those combinations when done other ways but every single one of them that I've tried were disgustingly artificial tasting. The creme brulee beer though was much, much more intense and, though I tried, I just couldn't stomach the stuff. On tap may be different but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1759 on: December 05, 2012, 10:49:18 am »
putting on my over-analytical hat:

If there was a difference due to age, it was only minimal.

how do you know that?  have you had it both fresh and aged?
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1760 on: December 05, 2012, 11:09:18 pm »
Cantillon at Walgreens?

And look at the other beers sold at Walgreens.

http://www.beermenus.com/places/5877-walgreens-greektown

i hate walgreens.  they make products seem cheap.  hooker cheap.  i feel dirty when i buy stuff there.

Jaguar

« Reply #1761 on: December 05, 2012, 11:16:47 pm »
putting on my over-analytical hat:

If there was a difference due to age, it was only minimal.

how do you know that?  have you had it both fresh and aged?

I'd say that it was a different hat which is well worn out.

Believe me, my taste buds aren't that whacked out. It was the ingredients, not the aging. Darth Ed knows what I'm talking about.

Darth Ed

« Reply #1762 on: December 06, 2012, 12:03:43 am »
Believe me, my taste buds aren't that whacked out. It was the ingredients, not the aging. Darth Ed knows what I'm talking about.
Well, let's just say that I disagree. The two times I've had it on tap, I thought it was quite a marvelous beer, and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again and recommend it to others, especially someone who liked a beer that tasted like chocolate pancakes. Yes, the flavors are very intense, but they're supposedly completely natural, so I don't really understand this artificiality you claim you tasted. That's why I suggested that it perhaps tasted funky because it was well (maybe 6 months) past its "best by" date.

James Ford

« Reply #1763 on: December 06, 2012, 10:11:13 am »
How do you feel about Southern Tier Choklat, Mokah, and Jahva?

Well, let's just say that I disagree. The two times I've had it on tap, I thought it was quite a marvelous beer, and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again and recommend it to others, especially someone who liked a beer that tasted like chocolate pancakes. Yes, the flavors are very intense, but they're supposedly completely natural, so I don't really understand this artificiality you claim you tasted. That's why I suggested that it perhaps tasted funky because it was well (maybe 6 months) past its "best by" date.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1764 on: December 06, 2012, 10:33:50 am »
chiming in.

creme brulee on tap has been one of my favorite beers i've ever encountered.

i would not trust it in a bottle, especially if it isn't only a few weeks old.  vanilla bean does not hold well in any beer, that's why you don't see many vanilla-style beers. short shelf life.

i dig choklat too, and enjoy ST's unique take on imperial stouts.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1765 on: December 06, 2012, 10:47:47 am »
Give a Little, Get a Little: ChurchKey's Annual Holiday Ale Tap Takeover & Canned Food Drive
50 Seasonal Drafts Plus 10% Off To Those Who Donate

For the second consecutive year, ChurchKey is teaming up with Martha's Table to get into the holiday spirit. Join us this Monday from 4 until 9, bring a canned good or make a cash donation and you will receive 10% off of all beer and food that evening. And what an evening we have in store - a rollicking holiday party replete with all 50 draft lines dedicated to the finest seasonal brews. So come on out, share the joy, spread the love and sample the spirits!

The best American, Belgian and English winter ales will sit side-by-side with some incredible cold-weather craft rarities sourced from Switzerland, France, Germany and Denmark. Some highlights include our final keg of Great Lakes Christmas, eight different Ridgeway holiday brews from England (think Bad/Very Bad/Seriously Bad/Criminally Bad Elf and more), four vintages of Gouden Carolus Noel ('09, '10, '11, '12), and a keg of the rare Mother Earth Silent Night. American craft classics like Schlafly Christmas, Tröegs Mad Elf, will also be featured along with local seasonal brews like 3 Stars (Winter Madness) and Mad Fox (Festivus), and even from our dear friend Mikkeller (From-To-Via, Santa's Little Helper and Hoppy Lovin' Christmas). The full draft list can be found here: http://www.dcbeer.com/event/churchkey-holiday-tasting-benefit-marthas-table

There is no admission charge for the event and all 50 Holiday Drafts will be available beginning at 4PM and priced individually by the glass and in 4 oz. tasting pours.

speaking of mad elf, i had some the other night.  the cherry + caramel notes were interesting but i wouldn't order a second one.  there was something syrupy about it that didn't work for me.  my mind was blown when i saw that it was 11%.  it did not taste like that big a beer, at all.  hum... sounds like a good date drink ;D

also tried brooklyn's chocolate stout.  a solid RIS and very decently priced but it's not going to displace any of my favorite russians.
<sig>

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #1766 on: December 06, 2012, 12:12:22 pm »

So I should probably toss the bottle I've had for almost a year now, eh?

imbecile

« Reply #1767 on: December 06, 2012, 12:21:22 pm »

Or go get a fresh one.. do a side by side and settle this issue for us all.

Edit - I missed the part about it being release in June (However, I did see it at the Perfect Pour yesterday.. did not check dates on the bottles though), so a side by side of two potentially old bottles wouldn't help us.  Oops.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1768 on: December 06, 2012, 01:12:36 pm »

i certainly wouldn't.  give it a try and let us know what it tastes like.  at worse the flavors will have faded.  they don't magically become gross.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #1769 on: December 06, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »
Edit - I missed the part about it being release in June (However, I did see it at the Perfect Pour yesterday.. did not check dates on the bottles though), so a side by side of two potentially old bottles wouldn't help us.  Oops.

it maddens me that the beer is released in june.  it seems like such a perfect winter brew.