Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181311 times)

Bagley

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1860 on: January 14, 2013, 06:47:33 pm »
Just got a four pack of this from a radical co worker...

I now have in possession.

Heady Topper, Zombie Dust, Pliney the Elder, Surly Abrasive... If I can hold out until Hopslam is distributed, it's going to be a hop of a time at Casa de Yada

hopslam's only a week away ;D

K8teebug

« Reply #1861 on: January 15, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »
Had the 21st Amendment Sneak Attack this weekend.  It was delicious.  A farmhouse saison with a hint of cardamom.

Really really good.

Yada

« Reply #1862 on: January 17, 2013, 11:46:39 am »
Rumors of hopslam starting to creep around the burbs of Va.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1863 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:43 am »
yeah . . . i can't wait until pot becomes legal.  fuck all this brewery controlled bullshit.

James Ford

« Reply #1864 on: January 18, 2013, 11:34:06 am »
yeah, because pot tastes as good as craft beer.

yeah . . . i can't wait until pot becomes legal.  fuck all this brewery controlled bullshit.

fatskippy

« Reply #1865 on: January 18, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »

yeah, because people do drugs for the taste.

James Ford

« Reply #1866 on: January 18, 2013, 12:39:11 pm »
Maybe I'm just restating the obvious, I guess my point was i drink beer for the taste, not the high.

yeah, because people do drugs for the taste.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1867 on: January 18, 2013, 01:02:14 pm »
i said that in a snit, because i am getting tired of these breweries that have us as sheep controlled by the special beers that only come out once a year.  yawn.  over it.  put them out more often.  "oh it ruins the experience."  f u.  it ruins my experience of not being able to get it.  if founders backwoods bastard came out all year, i would drink it all year and buy it al year and make more money for the brewery all year.  i don't get it. i don't understand.  i think it is the hipster beer move for breweries.  i'm sure once pot becomes legal and starts eating into beer's profits . . . all of sudden everything isn't so special anymore.  just like how budweiser is offering a super alcoholic beer during the superbowl, to try and compete with what people are now drinking.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:04:32 pm by walkonby »

Sieve-Fisted

« Reply #1868 on: January 18, 2013, 01:49:30 pm »
Norm's Beer and Wine updated their FB page today at 10:30, "Goose Island Bourbon County Cherry Rye is here. Limit one per customer." An hour later they updated, "Just sold out".

James Ford

« Reply #1869 on: January 18, 2013, 02:29:39 pm »
Twitter page said they had it at 7:32 and sold out at 7:51. Who's buying beer at 7:30am?
$22/bottle. Got mine for $12. haha.

Norm's Beer and Wine updated their FB page today at 10:30, "Goose Island Bourbon County Cherry Rye is here. Limit one per customer." An hour later they updated, "Just sold out".

atomicfront

« Reply #1870 on: January 18, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »
i said that in a snit, because i am getting tired of these breweries that have us as sheep controlled by the special beers that only come out once a year.  yawn.  over it.  put them out more often.  "oh it ruins the experience."  f u.  it ruins my experience of not being able to get it.  if founders backwoods bastard came out all year, i would drink it all year and buy it al year and make more money for the brewery all year.  i don't get it. i don't understand.  i think it is the hipster beer move for breweries.  i'm sure once pot becomes legal and starts eating into beer's profits . . . all of sudden everything isn't so special anymore.  just like how budweiser is offering a super alcoholic beer during the superbowl, to try and compete with what people are now drinking.

i think very few people are concerned with special brews that only come out a certain time of year. I have never have any trouble getting what I want.  You probably live in some area where you have people that are concerned with drinking rare beers.  there are more than enough beers to keep me busy just coming out of maryland and deleware.  I can't be concerned with every little breweries seasonal offerings.  I think most breweries should just stick with a couple of beers. Most of their seasonal stuff isn't very good.  For example, Magic Hat #9 good.  Most of their other brews, pretty bad. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1871 on: January 18, 2013, 03:13:23 pm »
Belga Cafe over on Capitol Hill has a bunch of events on the horizon to celebrate their 5th Anniversary, but one thing you shouldn?t let slip through all their festivities is their newest regular offering: Happy Hour!

From 4-6PM Monday through Friday, Belga will be offering half priced draft beers! That?s right tasty Belgian beers for half the price that you will normally pay for them. There will be some Belgian stadanrds of course, but there will also be a few gems from time to time. Last time we checked they had Stella Artois (3.50), Hoegaarden (3.25), Rodenbach ($3.75), Leffe Brown, Grimbergen Dubbel, Belga Pils, Belga White to choose from.

Check it out and look here for some previews of their other events later this week!

belga cafe is still chuggin' along.  dunno if they still do half price drafts, but they do have:

?Drink your beer, steal your glass?
January 24 ? 31 A New Year and new glassware to steal! Come enjoy Belgian beers and steal the glass for your collection. For a limited time, you have our blessing to take home a Belgian novelty.

February events:
DC Restaurant Week: February 4 ? 11
Monthly Beer Dinner: February 26 featuring Chimay Vintage Big Bottles!

http://www.belgacafe.com/pages/events.asp
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #1872 on: January 18, 2013, 03:16:02 pm »
I do wish I knew about Wedding Alt before my wedding. It is pretty tasty. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1873 on: January 18, 2013, 03:17:07 pm »

i was going to write a long reply about the economics of brewing, the need for cash flow, demand elasticity... then i realized that it really was all about you, walkies.  they're doing it solely to piss you off.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1874 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:04 pm »
Spoken like a true genius. Good lord.

i think very few people are concerned with special brews that only come out a certain time of year. I have never have any trouble getting what I want.  You probably live in some area where you have people that are concerned with drinking rare beers.  there are more than enough beers to keep me busy just coming out of maryland and deleware.  I can't be concerned with every little breweries seasonal offerings.  I think most breweries should just stick with a couple of beers. Most of their seasonal stuff isn't very good.  For example, Magic Hat #9 good.  Most of their other brews, pretty bad.