Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182229 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1890 on: January 21, 2013, 01:07:44 pm »
Split a case of Nugget Nectar direct from the brewery this weekend, bottled a couple of days ago.

atomicfront

« Reply #1891 on: January 21, 2013, 02:42:37 pm »
I had my first beer I brewed myself last night. Pretty awesome tasting.  It was an Oktoberfest beer.  It was from Hopped Malt Extract so pretty easy not to mess it up. 

congrats on your first batch! 

next up: steeping grains and adding your own hops.

thanks. I am taking stuff slow.  Next batch I am doing LME and hops. 

imbecile

« Reply #1892 on: January 21, 2013, 06:31:48 pm »
I'm on a mild brewing hiatus right now as I contemplate an upgraded brew pot and some other enhancements.

I got a crap ton of gift cards for Christmas and my birthday and am looking to step up to a 10 gal pot and do some BIAB for a while on my way to the full transition to all grain.. but there's just so many options for pots out there.

Any suggestions from the other brewers in the thread?

On an aside - my really small beer/wine store (on H, between 4th and 5th, NE) near my house that somehow gets some quality rarities on occasion informed me they'll be getting hopslam in either tomorrow or Wednesday.  I'm excited.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1893 on: January 21, 2013, 06:36:06 pm »
I'm on a mild brewing hiatus right now as I contemplate an upgraded brew pot and some other enhancements.

I got a crap ton of gift cards for Christmas and my birthday and am looking to step up to a 10 gal pot and do some BIAB for a while on my way to the full transition to all grain.. but there's just so many options for pots out there.

i doubt you have an overstock.com gift card, but i brew with this guy: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-44-quart-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot-with-Lid/6165694/product.html

very happy with it. usually do 7-gal batches with it with no fear of boil over.

edit: you know, i think i have the 36-quart one (9 gallons), not the 44-quart.  $12 less, and had a groupon deal or something with overstock, so got it for real cheap.  either way, quality brew pot.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:38:32 pm by stevewizzle »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1894 on: January 22, 2013, 11:29:39 am »
I can respect Sam Adams products though I don't typically buy them. Shock Top is Anheiser Busch swill.

That's fair comment.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1895 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:39 am »

get whatever stainless steel pot is the cheapest.  the only noticeable difference that i've come across is thickness of the bottom.  some a "tri-clad", which indicates that they are thicker.  this helps disperse heat evenly and reduces the risk of scorching (not sure how over-stated that risk is, tho).  if you are handy with tools you can install your own valves, thermometers, sight glass, etc so you can save money by going DIY on those (order parts from http://www.brewhardware.com/ or http://www.bargainfittings.com/).  or if you want it done for you, professionally, get a pot with valves or at least ports (holes) already installed.  these might not be things you're thinking of now but chances are you'll want them at some point.

i do BIAB, only.  i'm really happy with the results and the advantages a dedicated mash-tun don't seem worth it to me at this point.  it does mean i have to keep an eye on my pot and occasionally adjust the flame on my stove-top, but i've got the process down and can keep the temp to within a degree or two.  one advantage of this approach is that i can mix the pot's contents while mashing, which really helps with efficiency.  i hit 80% or higher.  mash-tuns are cool because it's a set-it-and-forget-it situation... but i like twiddling knobs and interacting with my beer-to-be. 
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1896 on: January 24, 2013, 03:09:01 pm »
met up with mr. james ford last night at pizza paradiso and enjoyed:
- Lost Rhino's Woody Stout (cask): i was suitably impressed.  woodiest tasting beer i've ever had.  bourbon flavor and aroma could have been more pronounced for my taste, then again my expectations of bourbon might be overly influenced by KBS.
- Scaldis Noel: satisfying as a belgian amber, a bit of a disappointment as a christmas beer.  didn't have any of the spices and heat (despite its 10% abv) that i expect from a winter warmer.  tasty but a little indistinct.  the St. Bernardus Christmas, despite being rather sweet, was closer to my idea of an ideal winter seasonal.  i loved its over-the-top belgian esters.

i stopped in to the big hunt on my way home and tried the 12-12-12 on draft.  that is a thoroughly enjoyable big belgian.  i also tried Stone's "Enjoy By 2-15".  i wasn't that impressed.  "enjoy by" beers are consistently rated highly but i thought it was a somewhat generic IIPA.  maybe i just had palette fatigue by then.
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1897 on: January 24, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »
maybe i just had palette fatigue by then.

officer, I swear it's just palate fatigue.
(o|o)

James Ford

« Reply #1898 on: January 24, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »
That Stone 12-12-12 beer may have been my favorite US produced dark Belgian beer ever. That's one style of beer most American breweries usually manage to get wrong.

imbecile

« Reply #1899 on: January 25, 2013, 11:36:33 am »

i doubt you have an overstock.com gift card, but i brew with this guy: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-44-quart-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot-with-Lid/6165694/product.html

edit: you know, i think i have the 36-quart one (9 gallons), not the 44-quart.  $12 less, and had a groupon deal or something with overstock, so got it for real cheap.  either way, quality brew pot.

Did you install a ball-valve on this bad boy?

That was going to be my follow-up question, whether or not you guys felt them necessary and/or how difficult is it to transfer 5-gallons without one.

I do believe i have the know-how to install one myself, but may just go for one with a valve already installed just to not have to deal with it.

imbecile

« Reply #1900 on: January 25, 2013, 11:41:32 am »

i do BIAB, only.  i'm really happy with the results and the advantages a dedicated mash-tun don't seem worth it to me at this point.  it does mean i have to keep an eye on my pot and occasionally adjust the flame on my stove-top, but i've got the process down and can keep the temp to within a degree or two.  one advantage of this approach is that i can mix the pot's contents while mashing, which really helps with efficiency.  i hit 80% or higher.  mash-tuns are cool because it's a set-it-and-forget-it situation... but i like twiddling knobs and interacting with my beer-to-be. 

good to hear.  I've been reading up on it and figured I'd give it a go, but never actually known anyone who does it.  Honestly didn't know it was a viable option until the Zymurgy article last month which dispelled a lot of the common misconceptions I'd been hearing.

An 80% efficiency is pretty awesome.  That's without sparging?  Just letting the bag drip?

stevewizzle

« Reply #1901 on: January 25, 2013, 12:35:24 pm »

Did you install a ball-valve on this bad boy?

That was going to be my follow-up question, whether or not you guys felt them necessary and/or how difficult is it to transfer 5-gallons without one.

I do believe i have the know-how to install one myself, but may just go for one with a valve already installed just to not have to deal with it.

nah, no ball valve.

i got a separate mash tun, and i use an immersion chiller, and then pour/filter the wort into the fermenter.  i know a lot of people harp that it's a necessity, but fuck that. IMO it's a minor luxury when you're brewing such low volume.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1902 on: January 25, 2013, 01:36:58 pm »

transferring 5 or 6 gallons without a valve is certainly do-able, just a pain.  picking up and pouring a pot with 5 gallons of liquid is a solid upper body workout.  use an extra-large funnel (available at homebrew shops) to get your cooled wort into a carboy, if you use carboys.  obviously less of a concern if you use buckets.  those funnels are also useful for filtering out crap and they aerate at the same time. 

i put a valve on my pot a few months ago and have been loving it.  it's not a necessity but sure makes life easier.  instead of needing to lift out my bag and let it drip, i can just open the valve and let the the wort drain out.

good to hear.  I've been reading up on it and figured I'd give it a go, but never actually known anyone who does it.  Honestly didn't know it was a viable option until the Zymurgy article last month which dispelled a lot of the common misconceptions I'd been hearing.

An 80% efficiency is pretty awesome.  That's without sparging?  Just letting the bag drip?

no, i batch sparge.  pretty sure i wouldn't get that efficiency without it.  i mash my grains with 1.25-1.5 qt/lb water, then use whatever water is left for the sparging.  so i might use 4 gallons for the mash, and then have another 4 gallons or so left for a sparge. 

if you ever wanna hang out during a brew day at my place, lemme know. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:21:13 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #1903 on: January 25, 2013, 05:13:22 pm »
got some sucks.

it's fantastic.

James Ford

« Reply #1904 on: January 25, 2013, 05:26:37 pm »
I concur.

$8.99 for a six pack at Total Wine. Other than the $35 tax included I paid for a case of Zombie Dust, there's probably not a better deal on the planet. Unless you count being able to buy Duvel for about $1.25 a bottle in Belgium.

Who needs Hopslam at $20 a sixer when you have Sucks for less than half that price?

I've also read that Sucks is going to a 32 oz bottle and won't be in six packs anymore. Booooo.

got some sucks.

it's fantastic.