Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182363 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1905 on: January 25, 2013, 05:27:02 pm »
just got sucks too.  and that weird drink by 2/15.  if i don't drink it by then, will it really effect the taste.  what if i forget?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1906 on: January 25, 2013, 07:47:31 pm »
drink by 2/15 should be called . . . don't drink at all.

bleh.

James Ford

« Reply #1907 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:10 pm »
If you've got anymore that you want to give away, I'll take em. I quite liked it. Especially good as it warmed.

bleh.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1908 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:22 pm »
Need some Sucks.

News about the bombers is awful.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1909 on: January 25, 2013, 08:35:35 pm »
If you've got anymore that you want to give away, I'll take em. I quite liked it. Especially good as it warmed.

bleh.

now this is weird.  at first, the smell overpowered me so much i wasn't sure if i wanted to drink it.  the first tastes were so skunky and wet hoppinoids, it had me going what the fuck.  but now down one glass and the aftertastes and feelings are growing up my tongue to make me go yum yum.  now i like it . . . how is that possible in the space of thirty minutes.  you get none of my beer, kind sir.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1910 on: January 26, 2013, 12:09:14 pm »
I concur.

$8.99 for a six pack at Total Wine. Other than the $35 tax included I paid for a case of Zombie Dust, there's probably not a better deal on the planet. Unless you count being able to buy Duvel for about $1.25 a bottle in Belgium.

that's an incredible deal. lagunitas fucking rules.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1911 on: January 26, 2013, 12:11:27 pm »

i do BIAB, only.  i'm really happy with the results and the advantages a dedicated mash-tun don't seem worth it to me at this point.  it does mean i have to keep an eye on my pot and occasionally adjust the flame on my stove-top, but i've got the process down and can keep the temp to within a degree or two.  one advantage of this approach is that i can mix the pot's contents while mashing, which really helps with efficiency.  i hit 80% or higher.  mash-tuns are cool because it's a set-it-and-forget-it situation... but i like twiddling knobs and interacting with my beer-to-be. 

good to hear.  I've been reading up on it and figured I'd give it a go, but never actually known anyone who does it.  Honestly didn't know it was a viable option until the Zymurgy article last month which dispelled a lot of the common misconceptions I'd been hearing.

An 80% efficiency is pretty awesome.  That's without sparging?  Just letting the bag drip?

FYI - a nice reddit summary of BIAB vs. 3-vessel.  http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/17bg18/biab_vs_threevessel_comparison/

i should also mention that i brew with a friend, and having an extra set of hands is the biggest luxury you can get in brewing, so my opinion is sometimes skewed of what is necessary and what is not.

James Ford

« Reply #1912 on: January 26, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »
ChurchKey‏@churchkeydc

BIG NEWS! CK will have Hopslam kegs and bottles available starting this Monday 1-28-13 when we open at 4 PM!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1913 on: January 28, 2013, 09:18:37 am »
Figures - I trekked down to DC last weekend for stuff.  Guess I'll be headed back soon cause I think I'm going to get some Hopslam this year.  Skipped last year and didn't really miss paying an arm and a leg for it.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1914 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:32 am »
fyi - last year, i remember seeing cases of it left at virginia market weeks after the initial craze.

i imagine it's worth getting a glass on draft though.  would love to get it on cask.

James Ford

« Reply #1915 on: January 28, 2013, 10:59:20 am »
If any of y'all get a chance to taste Sweetcell's IPA, make sure you go for it. Damn, that stuff is tasty. My wife and I tasted it alongside the (excellent) Ska Modus Hoperandi, and both of us preferred Sweetcell's IPA.

His Belgian blonde is solid too.

at a competition this weekend my IPA score a 39, AKA a rating of "excellent" ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1916 on: January 29, 2013, 02:08:08 am »
If any of y'all get a chance to taste Sweetcell's IPA, make sure you go for it. Damn, that stuff is tasty. My wife and I tasted it alongside the (excellent) Ska Modus Hoperandi, and both of us preferred Sweetcell's IPA.

His Belgian blonde is solid too.

;D

thanks for you kind words, mr. ford.  doubters take heed: there is such thing as good homebrew.  don't get me wrong, there is plenty of crap being made too, i've made a few less than successful creations.... but sometimes the beer gods smile upon us. 

i had back-to-back brew-days this past weekend.  made a kolsch on saturday and did a vertical epic 09.09.09 clone on a buddy's brew system on sunday (stone has published all the recipes for the series).  the vertical epic was such a big beer that we ended up with 3 gallons of rather strong second runnings.  after the primary yeast is done on this "small" beer i'll throw in some brett.  should be ready around early july.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1917 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:53 am »
My wife's exact words:

"I can't believe that this guy actually made this at his house and it doesn't suck!"

thanks for you kind words, mr. ford.  doubters take heed: there is such thing as good homebrew.  don't get me wrong, there is plenty of crap being made too, i've made a few less than successful creations.... but sometimes the beer gods smile upon us. 

brennser

« Reply #1918 on: January 29, 2013, 11:36:39 am »
Arrowine sold 25 cases in under an hour yesterday - craziness!

Figures - I trekked down to DC last weekend for stuff.  Guess I'll be headed back soon cause I think I'm going to get some Hopslam this year.  Skipped last year and didn't really miss paying an arm and a leg for it.

Yada

« Reply #1919 on: January 29, 2013, 11:45:14 am »
Arrowine sold 25 cases in under an hour yesterday - craziness!

It's all over DC already... Rumors of a bad batch at McGruders on Conn Ave. My co worker bought a sixer and said it was basically undrinkable.