Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181377 times)

atomicfront

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2010 on: February 14, 2013, 11:08:29 am »
nugget nectar on the pour thing next week at where i buy beer.  growlers of the stuff.  everywhere.  boxes of bottles everywhere.  drink it from the spout.  get drunk and screw.  fuck you straightedges. 

exactly. how do straight edges even have one night stands???  If it weren't for the goodness of alcohol I wouldn't have. 

K8teebug

« Reply #2011 on: February 14, 2013, 11:08:45 am »
Max?s Belgian beer fest in Fells Point is slated to have over 100 Belgian beers on draft this weekend. Which is ironic, because in Belgium you?re lucky to find ten beers on draft  at a top notch beer bar at any given time.

I saw Blur at Max's way back when.  Belgian Beer fest sounds like fun. 

That Belgian Beer fest is REALLY fun.  It gets crowded quickly, so get there early.

K8teebug

« Reply #2012 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:45 am »
**fondles genitalia**

http://monkscafe.com/events.cfm

and Monks is my favorite place in Philly.

K8teebug

« Reply #2013 on: February 14, 2013, 11:11:58 am »
Has anyone had the 21st Amendment stout brewed with oyster shells?  Sounds interesting.

James Ford

« Reply #2014 on: February 14, 2013, 11:16:51 am »
Definitely a (beer) tourist bar.

**fondles genitalia**

James Ford

« Reply #2015 on: February 14, 2013, 11:19:43 am »
Sounds too crowded and kid-unfriendly for me.

I like their Friday pre-Orioles game Happy Hours...when anything under 8% abv is served in a 32 oz cup for $6. Had one Deviant Dales and half of something else and barely made it to the game when a friend and I went last year.

Max?s Belgian beer fest in Fells Point is slated to have over 100 Belgian beers on draft this weekend. Which is ironic, because in Belgium you?re lucky to find ten beers on draft  at a top notch beer bar at any given time.

That Belgian Beer fest is REALLY fun.  It gets crowded quickly, so get there early.

atomicfront

« Reply #2016 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:53 am »
**fondles genitalia**

I have been to Monks and I liked it. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2017 on: February 14, 2013, 11:29:25 am »

I like their Friday pre-Orioles game Happy Hours...when anything under 8% abv is served in a 32 oz cup for $6. Had one Deviant Dales and half of something else and barely made it to the game when a friend and I went last year.

A bar being kid unfriendly?  That is quite suprising.  Max's doesn't seem like a good place to pre-game for the orioles drinking 32 oz beers.  long way to the yards.

K8teebug

« Reply #2018 on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:52 am »

A bar being kid unfriendly?  That is quite suprising.  Max's doesn't seem like a good place to pre-game for the orioles drinking 32 oz beers.  long way to the yards.

Too far away!  I stick to Pickles. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #2019 on: February 14, 2013, 11:58:28 am »
for belgian pubs in philly... i'm a big fan of Eulogy.

looking forward to checking out some spots during the homebrew conference, if I can survive the day to make it out.

James Ford

« Reply #2020 on: February 14, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »
We've found most pubs, breweries, and tasting rooms around North America and Europe to be very family-friendly. Best to avoid going at the busiest times though.

Max's is but a short walk for a marathon runner.  ;) Except when you're drinking 32 oz pours!

James Ford

« Reply #2021 on: February 14, 2013, 12:28:02 pm »
Here's a good list of Philly beer bars.

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/top-beer-bars-in-philadelphia/

And here's a great site listing what's on tap in Philly. Wish we had something this good for DC.

http://phillytapfinder.com/

I've only been to Philly once in the last 15 years, for a daytrip. We really should go more. We went to Eulogy and Memphis Taproom. Eulogy was pretty decent, Memphis Taproom was better.

looking forward to checking out some spots during the homebrew conference, if I can survive the day to make it out.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2022 on: February 14, 2013, 01:25:34 pm »

i was going to post something about hitting up monk's cafe while in philly for NHC, but then i thought realistically i doubt i'm going to make it.  beer will be flowing non-stop at the conference, every night has a special event: pro night, club night, grand banquet (even the BN party on wednesday night if you get there early).  there will be more beer than you can possibly drink.  i just don't see myself trekking across town to a bar when there will be hundreds of kegs on offer.  then again, i'm lazy.  hey, while you're up, get me a refill will ya?
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2023 on: February 14, 2013, 01:32:36 pm »
Here's a good list of Philly beer bars.

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/top-beer-bars-in-philadelphia/

And here's a great site listing what's on tap in Philly. Wish we had something this good for DC.

I've only been to Philly once in the last 15 years, for a daytrip. We really should go more. We went to Eulogy and Memphis Taproom. Eulogy was pretty decent, Memphis Taproom was better.

Well in the first link it says this about monk's:

"

Monk?s Café
 The bar that brought Belgian ales to America, Monk?s has won every conceivable award for its Belgian beer and food menu that reads like a novel. The tavern has been named ?One of the Top Five Places in the World to Have a Beer Before You Die? by All About Beer magazine. And owner Tom Peters has been knighted as a Chevalier du Fourquette des Brasseurs, the 500-year-old Belgian brewers guild, and is one of four Ambassadeurs Orval in the U.S., which means Trappist monks have acknowledged his ability to properly serve their beer. "

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2024 on: February 14, 2013, 01:57:25 pm »

Thats really fucking nifty! Thanks!