Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182070 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2025 on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:52 pm »
Exactly. It's an institution. The Philly beer bar any out of towner is most likely to have heard of and head straight to.

But is still THE place to go? ( haven't been, I'm just asking) I remember a couple of years ago I had a visiting friend  who had previously lived in DC mention going to the Brickskeller, and I had to break it to her that a number of places had surpassed her old favorite.

And gee whiz, the owner knows how to pour beer into proper glassware. Wow, that is quite an accomplishment for an American!

Here's a good list of Philly beer bars.

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/top-beer-bars-in-philadelphia/

And here's a great site listing what's on tap in Philly. Wish we had something this good for DC.

http://phillytapfinder.com/

I've only been to Philly once in the last 15 years, for a daytrip. We really should go more. We went to Eulogy and Memphis Taproom. Eulogy was pretty decent, Memphis Taproom was better.

for belgian pubs in philly... i'm a big fan of Eulogy.

looking forward to checking out some spots during the homebrew conference, if I can survive the day to make it out.

Well in the first link it says this about monk's:

"

Monk?s Café
 The bar that brought Belgian ales to America, Monk?s has won every conceivable award for its Belgian beer and food menu that reads like a novel. The tavern has been named ?One of the Top Five Places in the World to Have a Beer Before You Die? by All About Beer magazine. And owner Tom Peters has been knighted as a Chevalier du Fourquette des Brasseurs, the 500-year-old Belgian brewers guild, and is one of four Ambassadeurs Orval in the U.S., which means Trappist monks have acknowledged his ability to properly serve their beer. "

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2026 on: February 14, 2013, 03:54:11 pm »
Bell's Tap Takeover at ChurchKey
Monday, February 18, 2013 - 4:00pm to 11:00pm
http://www.dcbeer.com/event/bells-tap-takeover-and-hm-cask-churchkey

atomicfront

« Reply #2027 on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »
Exactly. It's an institution. The Philly beer bar any out of towner is most likely to have heard of and head straight to.

But is still THE place to go? ( haven't been, I'm just asking) I remember a couple of years ago I had a visiting friend  who had previously lived in DC mention going to the Brickskeller, and I had to break it to her that a number of places had surpassed her old favorite.

And gee whiz, the owner knows how to pour beer into proper glassware. Wow, that is quite an accomplishment for an American!

And here's a great site listing what's on tap in Philly. Wish we had something this good for DC.

I've only been to Philly once in the last 15 years, for a daytrip. We really should go more. We went to Eulogy and Memphis Taproom. Eulogy was pretty decent, Memphis Taproom was better.

looking forward to checking out some spots during the homebrew conference, if I can survive the day to make it out.

"

Monk?s Café
 The bar that brought Belgian ales to America, Monk?s has won every conceivable award for its Belgian beer and food menu that reads like a novel. The tavern has been named ?One of the Top Five Places in the World to Have a Beer Before You Die? by All About Beer magazine. And owner Tom Peters has been knighted as a Chevalier du Fourquette des Brasseurs, the 500-year-old Belgian brewers guild, and is one of four Ambassadeurs Orval in the U.S., which means Trappist monks have acknowledged his ability to properly serve their beer. "

criticizing a place you have never been seems silly to say the least. 

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2028 on: February 14, 2013, 04:06:47 pm »

Have you met Rhett?
(o|o)

James Ford

« Reply #2029 on: February 14, 2013, 04:32:14 pm »
At what point did I criticize it?

I do have a friend (the aforementioned one), who went within the last few years, and said she found it too "touristy". Though she herself was visiting from NYC, so she was only contributing to its touristiness.

Though I haven't been, I can see her point. If you have a place that is a magnet for visitors, clearly it's going to lose some of its local charm, right?

But if you're going to a BELGIAN beer bar in PHILADELPHIA, local charm is probably not a priority.

"

Monk?s Café

stevewizzle

« Reply #2030 on: February 14, 2013, 04:39:56 pm »

i was going to post something about hitting up monk's cafe while in philly for NHC, but then i thought realistically i doubt i'm going to make it.  beer will be flowing non-stop at the conference, every night has a special event: pro night, club night, grand banquet (even the BN party on wednesday night if you get there early).  there will be more beer than you can possibly drink.  i just don't see myself trekking across town to a bar when there will be hundreds of kegs on offer.  then again, i'm lazy.  hey, while you're up, get me a refill will ya?

i made it out after gabf, but there was absolutely no point in drinking more at that point.

i barely remember leaving savor, so yeah, going out was definitely out of the question.

and this is going to be a lot more drinking than both of those, so who am i kidding?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2031 on: February 14, 2013, 06:02:52 pm »
i just realized . . .  that rogue's oregasmic ale, is horrible.

James Ford

« Reply #2032 on: February 14, 2013, 06:09:16 pm »
One of my LEAST favorite craft breweries. The server at their brewpub in Portland was downright rude, and their beers weren't much nicer.

i just realized . . .  that rogue's oregasmic ale, is horrible.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2033 on: February 14, 2013, 06:17:01 pm »
what . . . you go to beer college or something?

James Ford

« Reply #2034 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:54 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

what . . . you go to beer college or something?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2035 on: February 14, 2013, 06:26:06 pm »
the question in reference was an obscure nod to the movie half baked where dave's character is delivered weed by this guy who spouts off all this weed knowledge like he was the master.  so dave asks the guy in a funny tender moment . . . "damn, you go to weed college or something?"  so it was just a simple praise of your constant, instant beer knowledge.  i mention i hate a beer, and you instantly chime in with tales of a distant trip to some far away town where that very beer was so rude to you. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2036 on: February 14, 2013, 06:33:33 pm »
a distant trip to some far away town where that very beer was so rude to you. 

<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2037 on: February 14, 2013, 06:37:54 pm »
awesome, to you.

James Ford

« Reply #2038 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:53 pm »
LOL, thanks, and to think that my beer consumption consisted of one or two Yuenglings a week less than five years ago. And that I once went on vacation in Colorado and visited exactly one brewery, COORS.

And jogged by the Great Divide Brewery in Denver several times without stopping a second time I was there.

the question in reference was an obscure nod to the movie half baked where dave's character is delivered weed by this guy who spouts off all this weed knowledge like he was the master.  so dave asks the guy in a funny tender moment . . . "damn, you go to weed college or something?"  so it was just a simple praise of your constant, instant beer knowledge.  i mention i hate a beer, and you instantly chime in with tales of a distant trip to some far away town where that very beer was so rude to you. 

K8teebug

« Reply #2039 on: February 15, 2013, 10:27:32 am »

"

Monk?s Café

I first went to Monks 13 years ago when my friend lived around the corner.  I actually had no idea it was so popular or a destination.  It's just the place I always like to go in Philly because it was one of the first I visited!