Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181437 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2130 on: March 08, 2013, 11:38:30 am »
got a 4-pack of ommegang's abbye ale.  gawdam that's a solid dubbel.  high carbonation for 12 oz bottle.  really impressed.  even got them for $2 less because someone at World Market had mislabeled it.

also hit up Gilly's for the first time last night.  for folks caught in the fermentosphere's hinterland that is Montgomery County, it's a must-visit.  best selection in MoCo that i've seen.  prices are a little on the high side - a dollar or two more than you might find elsewhere.
http://www.gillyscbfw.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gillys-Craft-Beer-Fine-Wine/277747898928382
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2131 on: March 08, 2013, 11:45:48 am »
Gilly's packs a lot in there for being so small....love the taps and the deli.  I knew I had landed when I saw their peanut butter and M&M sandwich right on the menu!

James Ford

« Reply #2132 on: March 08, 2013, 12:03:33 pm »
Picked up a four pack of the new seasonal DIPA from Great Lakes Brewing, Alchemy Hour. Based on the reviews on ratebeer and beer advocate, I was expecting more. Not terrible, but terribly mediocre, pretty much like everything else they make. Very boozy and not alot of hoppiness.

brennser

« Reply #2133 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:56 pm »
Picked up a four pack of the new seasonal DIPA from Great Lakes Brewing, Alchemy Hour. Based on the reviews on ratebeer and beer advocate, I was expecting more. Not terrible, but terribly mediocre, pretty much like everything else they make. Very boozy and not alot of hoppiness.
really? I quite liked it, and I love their Blackout Stout

James Ford

« Reply #2134 on: March 08, 2013, 01:56:48 pm »
Haven't had their Blackout Stout. Will have to try next time around.

I think maybe next time I will let the Alchemy Hour warm a bit and see if it improves.

They do have a fun tour if you ever have a reason to be in Cleveland. The brepub appeared to be pretty popular as well, though we ate elsewhere.

really? I quite liked it, and I love their Blackout Stout

K8teebug

« Reply #2135 on: March 08, 2013, 02:26:04 pm »
got a 4-pack of ommegang's abbye ale.  gawdam that's a solid dubbel.  high carbonation for 12 oz bottle.  really impressed.  even got them for $2 less because someone at World Market had mislabeled it.

I love all their beer.  And the brewery is a REALLY great place to visit (not to mention near the baseball hall of fame!)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2136 on: March 08, 2013, 04:32:26 pm »
ommegang makes some really good belgians, but the dubbel is way above expectations. 

i made a dubbel a few weeks ago and it will be bottled soon, so i bought this commercial version (the only one on offer) to calibrate my taste buds and know what to look for.  i'm afraid i've set the bar ridiculously high.
<sig>

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2137 on: March 08, 2013, 06:22:25 pm »
When I was at the Cleveland airport last year, they had a Great Lakes brewpub. One of their taps was Blackout Xmas, which was a combo of their Blackout Stout and Christmas Ale. It was pretty damn tasty.

atomicfront

« Reply #2138 on: March 08, 2013, 06:26:50 pm »
I had some super bock in portugal.  It was ok.  It seemed to be their one choice.  200 different ports but one beer.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2139 on: March 08, 2013, 06:40:28 pm »
peanut butter and M&M sandwich

That sounds awful.  But I'll absolutely have to try it.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2140 on: March 09, 2013, 02:50:38 pm »
found a case of nugget nectar today.  was so excited.  also, founders all day ipa.  only bought a six pack of it because im not sure if ive had it before.  plus am on two lists for the kbs . . . heres hoping.

James Ford

« Reply #2141 on: March 09, 2013, 02:55:18 pm »
had half of an all day ipa with dinner last night. tasted like water. glad i only ought a single.

found a case of nugget nectar today.  was so excited.  also, founders all day ipa.  only bought a six pack of it because im not sure if ive had it before.  plus am on two lists for the kbs . . . heres hoping.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2142 on: March 09, 2013, 03:03:55 pm »
darn

James Ford

« Reply #2143 on: March 09, 2013, 06:16:57 pm »
Picked up a bunch of end of season 99 cent bottles at Total Wine today. Including Schlafly and Alewerks Coffee Stouts, Smuttynose Winter Ale, Sixpoint Diesel (16 oz cans).  Plus a $3.99 bottle of La Rulles Cuvee something or other Belgian holiday ale.Think the best had been picked over (the $3.99 Dupont Avec... was long gone), will have to watch closer next year.

Yada

« Reply #2144 on: March 11, 2013, 08:57:18 am »
had half of an all day ipa with dinner last night. tasted like water. glad i only ought a single.

I agree... what a terrible beer. I'd rather drink a Budweiser.