Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182349 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2145 on: March 11, 2013, 09:50:08 am »
I'd rather drink a Budweiser.

i personally don't care for budweiser, since it's inbev and fuck that and everything, but i don't blast others for drinking it and i see it has it's place on the market. but the ratebeer reviews of budweiser are simply amazing.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/budweiser/473/

"Can shared at a tasting at our place. Many thanks to my colleague Elad for fetching this at the 7-11 during the Lysosomal Disease World Symposium in Orlando - you made some people very happy!"

"330ml can with abv 4.5 % bought at local 7-Eleven."

"Absolute crap."

Bagley

« Reply #2146 on: March 11, 2013, 10:15:16 am »
Finally got my hands on a Pliny the Elder- didn't think it was that special. Thought the Double jack was just as good.   That said, there is NOTHING like a Hopslam!

atomicfront

« Reply #2147 on: March 11, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
I'd rather drink a Budweiser.

i personally don't care for budweiser, since it's inbev and fuck that and everything, but i don't blast others for drinking it and i see it has it's place on the market. but the ratebeer reviews of budweiser are simply amazing.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/budweiser/473/

"Can shared at a tasting at our place. Many thanks to my colleague Elad for fetching this at the 7-11 during the Lysosomal Disease World Symposium in Orlando - you made some people very happy!"

"330ml can with abv 4.5 % bought at local 7-Eleven."

"Absolute crap."

the one thing you can say positive about drinking a bud is at least you aren't drinking a bud light. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2148 on: March 11, 2013, 12:20:25 pm »
Finally got my hands on a Pliny the Elder- didn't think it was that special. Thought the Double jack was just as good.   That said, there is NOTHING like a Hopslam!

how fresh was the pliny?  hop-bombs like pliny are meant to be drunk as fresh as possible.  hops fade quickly in beer, even more so with over-the-top beers like pliny.

i had my first taste of pliny very recently (thanks brennser!) and while the taste met expectations it's the aroma that blew me away.  that beer had some serious DANK going on.  i didn't want to drink it, i just held the glass under my nose and huffed it.

this is the first year i've tried a hopslam and i wasn't that impressed.  it was a great DIPA/IIPA but nothing worthy of cult status.  i understand that this has been an off year for hopslam.
<sig>

Sieve-Fisted

« Reply #2149 on: March 11, 2013, 01:29:35 pm »
For the first time, DC Brau's On The Wings Of Armageddon will be available in cans this Saturday (3/16) at the brewery.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2150 on: March 11, 2013, 01:32:08 pm »
For the first time, DC Brau's On The Wings Of Armageddon will be available in cans this Saturday (3/16) at the brewery.

worthwhile to make a trip.  any idea on price?

James Ford

« Reply #2151 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:37 pm »
That was my question. Will it be compare to the prices of four packs of Stone Ruination, FW Double Jack, Great Lakes Alchemy and Dogfish 90?

Yada

« Reply #2152 on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:50 pm »

That place will be a mad house, but I want some!

Bagley

« Reply #2153 on: March 11, 2013, 03:38:30 pm »
Finally got my hands on a Pliny the Elder- didn't think it was that special. Thought the Double jack was just as good.   That said, there is NOTHING like a Hopslam!

how fresh was the pliny?  hop-bombs like pliny are meant to be drunk as fresh as possible.  hops fade quickly in beer, even more so with over-the-top beers like pliny.

i had my first taste of pliny very recently (thanks brennser!) and while the taste met expectations it's the aroma that blew me away.  that beer had some serious DANK going on.  i didn't want to drink it, i just held the glass under my nose and huffed it.

this is the first year i've tried a hopslam and i wasn't that impressed.  it was a great DIPA/IIPA but nothing worthy of cult status.  i understand that this has been an off year for hopslam.

Bottling date on the Pliny was 1/29/13.... I think the "cult status" is more than justified for the Hopslam-the honey in the brewing process sets it apart from the rest of the field!!! 

brennser

« Reply #2154 on: March 11, 2013, 03:57:42 pm »
based on the pricing the last time it was available in growlers I imagine it will exceed all of those beers in price - heres hoping I'm pleasantly surprised otherwise

That was my question. Will it be compare to the prices of four packs of Stone Ruination, FW Double Jack, Great Lakes Alchemy and Dogfish 90?

shemptiness

« Reply #2155 on: March 12, 2013, 02:35:57 pm »

Sieve-Fisted

« Reply #2156 on: March 12, 2013, 03:20:54 pm »
$17.99 per 6-pk (12oz cans)

based on the pricing the last time it was available in growlers I imagine it will exceed all of those beers in price - heres hoping I'm pleasantly surprised otherwise

brennser

« Reply #2157 on: March 12, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »
hmmmm, not as bad as I thought - still at the upper end of DIPAs but cheaper (and arguably better) than Hopslam

Sieve-Fisted

« Reply #2158 on: March 12, 2013, 04:36:35 pm »
Hopslam is good, but not worth $25 a six pack. The beer store on P Street in Dupont was selling one bottle for $8. For the money and taste, Lagunitas Sucks is the best DIPA out there...$9 a six pack.

hmmmm, not as bad as I thought - still at the upper end of DIPAs but cheaper (and arguably better) than Hopslam

stevewizzle

« Reply #2159 on: March 12, 2013, 05:45:01 pm »
Hopslam is good, but not worth $25 a six pack. The beer store on P Street in Dupont was selling one bottle for $8. For the money and taste, Lagunitas Sucks is the best DIPA out there...$9 a six pack.

i like this guy.