Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182098 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2205 on: March 19, 2013, 03:49:49 pm »
my find today seems so small compared to such awesomeness!

found some more dog fish head 120 and 75 minute.  passed on some such nonsense offering with rosemary, paprika and thyme or something.  plus they had the wookie jack and nugget nectar on tap for growlers to go.  yeah.

Sorry, this may have been discussed at length, but where does one find the Dog Fish 120? I had some at Thanksgiving and man it was good. But the dude serving it is a dick and kept being all cryptic about it and I got bored with the whole conversation.
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2206 on: March 19, 2013, 04:05:43 pm »
for me it is like this.  i go into beer shoppes when i can, usually once or twice a month.  that beer is so weird, because when i first fell in love with it it only came out once a year, sorry cant remember when it was, but then it came out again, i think some strange batch that two stores owners i spoke with claimed they didnt know how they got it.  ive walked into a store and the guy just unloaded two cases of it onto his tiny display case.  a case for a case that sat there slowly being bought over a month.  the price of it keeps only the devoted happy and the rest at bay.  i have so much respect for this stuff, that i just let it happen.  when it is there, it is there.  unlike all other beers, which i wish were year round . . . dog fish head 120 is the king of kings.  the jesus beer.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:07:22 pm by walkonby »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2207 on: March 19, 2013, 04:07:14 pm »
DFH 120 is a hard find.  AFAIK it's not brewed on a regular basis (but they do make it a few times a year).  it's also expensive - the only time i've found it on a shelf it was $9 for a 12 oz bottle.

DFH's beer finder: http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/fish-finder/results.htm?product=120%20Minute%20IPA&location_type=1&miles=10&zipcode=20002 (i'd call the shops before heading over)

not surprising that you like 120 - "More whisky than wine" according to their website.
<sig>

shemptiness

« Reply #2208 on: March 19, 2013, 04:23:01 pm »

imbecile

« Reply #2209 on: March 19, 2013, 04:26:57 pm »
re: 120

The only place I've seen it on the shelf ever has Perfect Pour in Columbia and I didn't even look to see how much it was.

The few times I've gotten some it's been straight from the brewery in Milton.  The last time I bought some, I think it was three years ago (can check bottle dates when I get home if anyone is that interested), it was $20 bucks for a 4-pack.  Soo, if you have any reason to be in Rehoboth or Milton, it is quite worth it to swing by and grab some, if it's been released recently.

Their website says 120 is released three times a year:  February, June, and September.

fatskippy

« Reply #2210 on: March 19, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »
Chevy Chase Wine has DF 120 in stock according to their website, $11/bottle.

http://www.chevychasewine.com/products.php

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2211 on: March 19, 2013, 04:57:04 pm »
Just came across a sixer of Hopslam. Second batch, bottled 1/23/13. Hopefully it's better than the first batch (which I didn't bother buying, heard a lot of mixed reviews).

James Ford

« Reply #2212 on: March 19, 2013, 05:08:37 pm »
Whole Foods in Fairfax has it on draft right now. Not sure what they're charging for a growler and not sure who'd actually buy a growler of it.

Chevy Chase Wine has DF 120 in stock according to their website, $11/bottle.

http://www.chevychasewine.com/products.php

Yada

« Reply #2213 on: March 19, 2013, 05:18:16 pm »
Just came across a sixer of Hopslam. Second batch, bottled 1/23/13. Hopefully it's better than the first batch (which I didn't bother buying, heard a lot of mixed reviews).

I drank two over the weekend and they were both pretty tasty.

K8teebug

« Reply #2214 on: March 20, 2013, 08:46:00 am »
Am I the only beer drinker who is totally over insanely hopped beers and IPAs?

Yada

« Reply #2215 on: March 20, 2013, 08:54:56 am »

I think so. :)

I had a "On the Wings of Armageddon" can last night. WOW... I'll probably be flamed for saying this, but it's on the heels of Heady Topper/Surly Abrasive and much better than Hopslam.

Can't believe this beer is local.

K8teebug

« Reply #2216 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:13 am »
I think it's because that's all I drank in college and post college. 

James Ford

« Reply #2217 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:58 am »
I'm somewhat over barrel aged stouts and stouts in general (maybe it's the comng of Spring?) Though I'll probably still try to add to my KBS collection next month.

But over hoppy IPA's? NEVER.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2218 on: March 20, 2013, 10:45:46 am »
I'm somewhat over barrel aged stouts and stouts in general

Me too.  A bunch still in the fridge that I need to finish off.  Just not all that inspired to do so.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2219 on: March 20, 2013, 11:00:57 am »

And then there are those of us who hated them all along.

I'll take a good ol' stout any day. Love those things. Sure, better in the colder months but I still love a good stout in the thick of summer as well.

Finally had a Murphy's Stout yesterday, back to back with a Guinness. In my opinion, the Guinness was way better. Then again, not at all a fair comparison since the Guinness was a draft and the Murphy's in a can. I know that I can't stand Guinness bottled or can. Totally different experience. Won't touch the stuff unless I'm using it to cook with which is good. Someday when I run across it, I'll have to try Murphy's on tap.