Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181651 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2310 on: April 03, 2013, 09:54:40 pm »
Wow, half price drafts at Smoke and Barrel tonight.

DC Brau OTWOA $4
Mad Fox Orange Whip IPA $4 (should have hada second OTWOA)
Dieu de Ciel Peche Mortel $5
Goose Island BCBS $5

And tomorrow, $5 drafts of KBS in Fairfax, if i get there in time. Good times.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2311 on: April 04, 2013, 09:17:55 am »
Anyways, back to KBS.....anyone seen it since yesterday?

Bought some at Rodman's on Tuesday, was limited to two bottles/person. I have an '11 I'm going to crack open for my birthday next month.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2312 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:15 am »

DC Brau OTWOA $4
Goose Island BCBS $5

were you there? seemed to have missed you.

enjoyed the same list, except sub out the dieu de ciel for a transatlantique kriek. that orange whip is underwhelming compared to the rest of the lineup. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2313 on: April 04, 2013, 10:14:09 am »
am i correct to believe that these goose island cherry and bourbon stouts, are hard to find?  not sure if i have seen them round where i live . . . and believe me, these country folks out here who sell it are starting to get beer crazy.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2314 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:18 am »
am i correct to believe that these goose island cherry and bourbon stouts, are hard to find?  not sure if i have seen them round where i live . . . and believe me, these country folks out here who sell it are starting to get beer crazy.

the cherry is sought after, and yeah hard to find.

the standard bourbon county is readily available in DC.

that's great that the sticks are catching the craze.

James Ford

« Reply #2315 on: April 04, 2013, 10:27:53 am »
That's funny. We had a fifth beer, but i didn't want to make us look like total lushes so didn't include it in the list, splitting five beers.

What was it? The Transatlantique Kriek.

Peche Mortel is one of my very favorite stouts. Unfortunately, it didn't really pair well with the bbq sauce. Too smooth. Needed a beer with a bit more bite. Like the BCBS Stout, which did pair well with the BBQ.

I was there between 5:30 and 7:45, wife and kid joined me at 6. Seemed to be a couple of other families with kids there too.

Sorry we missed you! I missed Brennser at ChurchKey on Monday too. I'm on a roll. If I go to the KBS tapping at Fairfax Whole Foods tonight, I wonder who I will miss?

DC Brau OTWOA $4
Goose Island BCBS $5

were you there? seemed to have missed you.

enjoyed the same list, except sub out the dieu de ciel for a transatlantique kriek. that orange whip is underwhelming compared to the rest of the lineup. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2316 on: April 04, 2013, 02:01:39 pm »
Heading out for a cruise soon - there's supposed to be a "craft beer" bar onboard called Michael's. I'm skeptical at best.  I guess ChurchKey has spoiled me....

Yada

« Reply #2317 on: April 04, 2013, 02:12:13 pm »
I've got word on a case of KBS floating around for $125!!!

I'll report back if I score the treasure!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

stevewizzle

« Reply #2319 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:08 am »
got to be north of Baltimore tomorrow morning, looking to grab a beer and some lunch on my way back.  any recommendations? i've got to park in the city, and all that non-sense.  would like to get a growler fill too, if that's a thing to do.

imbecile

« Reply #2320 on: April 05, 2013, 11:01:20 am »
DC Brau just announced that they'll be year-round canning Penn Quarter Porter from now on.  Available at Growler Hours on Saturday.

Also, not sure if this was known or not.. but I just found out, OTWOA will be brewed and canned every two months, with the next batch being brewed on Monday.

Also, here's the draft/growler fill list for tomorrow:
Public
Corruption
Citizen
PQP
Tasters Choice (Coffee Dopplebock)
Colliding Hempispheres (Belgo-American Brown Ale)
Yonder Cities (Farmhouse IPA)
Seasons

I'm unfamiliar with that last one.

atomicfront

« Reply #2321 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:10 am »
got to be north of Baltimore tomorrow morning, looking to grab a beer and some lunch on my way back.  any recommendations? i've got to park in the city, and all that non-sense.  would like to get a growler fill too, if that's a thing to do.

Brewers Art is definite stop if you haven't been there before.  They have great beer.  And if you are there you might as well go around the corner to the OWL Bar.  Great history to that place.  They don't make their own beer but they have a nice beer list with Union Craft  beer on the menu.

Heavy Seas Alehouse has good food and beer selection if you like Heavy Seas Beer.

If you want to go to the cool Hampden area visit golden west they have good beer and food. 

Yada

« Reply #2322 on: April 05, 2013, 11:03:31 am »
DC Brau just announced that they'll be year-round canning Penn Quarter Porter from now on.  Available at Growler Hours on Saturday.

Also, not sure if this was known or not.. but I just found out, OTWOA will be brewed and canned every two months, with the next batch being brewed on Monday.

Public
Corruption
Citizen
PQP
Seasons

Where'd you find details on Wings being canned every two months? I guess that was smart of them to not make it available at all times if they want to continue to charge $18 a sixer for it.

imbecile

« Reply #2323 on: April 05, 2013, 11:09:52 am »

Public
Corruption
Citizen
PQP
Seasons

Where'd you find details on Wings being canned every two months? I guess that was smart of them to not make it available at all times if they want to continue to charge $18 a sixer for it.

It was just a mention on facebook lastnight.  They were teasing they'd add something to the year round canned lineup today and everyone was hoping it was OTWOA and one of their responses was that OTWOA was already in cans and they would be brewing it every two months.

Edit:  The post directly beneath that one on Facebook is about them giving away tickets to Ghost at the 930 during growler hours on May 11th.  More importantly, it states that this is also the date of the next OTWOA release at the brewery.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:12:23 am by imbecile »

stevewizzle

« Reply #2324 on: April 05, 2013, 11:26:02 am »
Brewers Art is definite stop if you haven't been there before.  They have great beer.  And if you are there you might as well go around the corner to the OWL Bar.  Great history to that place.  They don't make their own beer but they have a nice beer list with Union Craft  beer on the menu.

thanks, i think i'll check out brewers art then!