Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182324 times)

atomicfront

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2415 on: April 11, 2013, 10:29:48 am »
They won a blue ribbon at the world's fair in Chicago in 1893. 

what awards did bud light win that year?

Gold Medal, 2002 North American Beer Awards

atomicfront

« Reply #2416 on: April 11, 2013, 10:30:42 am »
I can honestly say I don't know that i've drank a single Bud Light in my 24 post-college years.

I had one at the baseball game last week.  It is quite similar to drinking water.   

From what i have read it is almost impossible for a home brewer to duplicate the taste.  As any flavors produced at all will stand out. 

James Ford

« Reply #2417 on: April 11, 2013, 10:31:37 am »
I don't understand why a corporation owning breweries is supposed to be good or bad?

I am sure there are no similarities between the beer that won the blue ribbon and the beer that is sold now.  I was reading something about how PBR bought schlitz and how they then shut them down and then did their typical have Miller brew it for them.  And of course they lost all market share.  So they were trying to see if they could brew it to somewhat resemble actual schlitz beer but they couldn't find the recipe.  

Anyone who cares about beer won't buy PBR.  You might complain about IN Bev but atleast they own breweries.  And their beer doesn't double as a laxative like PBR marketed beers.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2418 on: April 11, 2013, 10:32:01 am »
Does it make me a beer geek that I work near Union Station and am going to the Nats game afterwork but am making a point of going to Smoke And Barrel (in Adams Morgan) for beer and dinner (half price on all vegan options) tonight?

perhaps. there deals are incredible - it's $4 local drafts too, right?

it's usually busy, but not crowded. and there draft list is always impressive. and there food is delicious.

it's probably my favorite bar these days.

atomicfront

« Reply #2419 on: April 11, 2013, 10:34:58 am »
I don't understand why a corporation owning breweries is supposed to be good or bad?

I am sure there are no similarities between the beer that won the blue ribbon and the beer that is sold now.  I was reading something about how PBR bought schlitz and how they then shut them down and then did their typical have Miller brew it for them.  And of course they lost all market share.  So they were trying to see if they could brew it to somewhat resemble actual schlitz beer but they couldn't find the recipe.  

Anyone who cares about beer won't buy PBR.  You might complain about IN Bev but atleast they own breweries.  And their beer doesn't double as a laxative like PBR marketed beers.

Well PBR buying breweries to shut them down can't be thought of a good thing can it?  And replacing the beer that was made with the same awful tasting beer and selling it under the same name can't be good.   I am sure if PBR bought out your favorite brewery and then just sold PBR under that name you wouldn't be pleased.

James Ford

« Reply #2420 on: April 11, 2013, 10:36:33 am »
Yes, $4 local drafts. But I can't pass up the Sculpin and Victory at Sea they have on draft. And two is about all I can handle.

Does it make me a beer geek that I work near Union Station and am going to the Nats game afterwork but am making a point of going to Smoke And Barrel (in Adams Morgan) for beer and dinner (half price on all vegan options) tonight?

perhaps. there deals are incredible - it's $4 local drafts too, right?

it's usually busy, but not crowded. and there draft list is always impressive. and there food is delicious.

it's probably my favorite bar these days.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2421 on: April 11, 2013, 10:38:30 am »
Well PBR buying breweries to shut them down can't be thought of a good thing can it?  And replacing the beer that was made with the same awful tasting beer and selling it under the same name can't be good.   I am sure if PBR bought out your favorite brewery and then just sold PBR under that name you wouldn't be pleased.

i'm sorry, but what on earth are you talking about?

beyond moving from milkwaukee to LA after being bought out by some millionaire, i'm not sure i've ever heard of this.

atomicfront

« Reply #2422 on: April 11, 2013, 10:48:38 am »

i'm sorry, but what on earth are you talking about?

beyond moving from milkwaukee to LA after being bought out by some millionaire, i'm not sure i've ever heard of this.

They didn't have a brewery in Milwaukee as they aren't a brewery. Pabst is a marketing company.  So it really doesn't matter where they are located.   

"B.R. Zoom, a marketing and advertising agency, played a key part in growing PBR. It helped manage a secret band of guerrilla marketers who were paid $35,000 to $50,000 a year to buy rounds of Pabst in places like Portland, Ore.; Seattle; Berkeley, Calif.; Brooklyn; and Chicago's Wicker Park neighborhood, where bike messengers, hipsters and artists had adopted the brand ? a phenomenon that grew out of Portland bars in the early 2000s.."

stevewizzle

« Reply #2423 on: April 11, 2013, 10:54:25 am »
that's not what i was asking. what breweries did they shut down beyond their own? and what beer did they replace?

and gee, that sounds like a terrible marketing campaign. how dare them market their product. to think, they could have used all that money to buy a 1 second super bowl ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83AYIJiQUw

but fuck this. this is exactly what i complain about with you. you clog up good threads with stupidity.  for every one worthwhile post, you have 10 or 20 complete bullshit posts that aren't even worth reading.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:56:06 am by stevewizzle »

atomicfront

« Reply #2424 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:17 am »
that's not what i was asking. what breweries did they shut down beyond their own? and what beer did they replace?

and gee, that sounds like a terrible marketing campaign. how dare them market their product. to think, they could have used all that money to buy a 1 second super bowl ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83AYIJiQUw

but fuck this. this is exactly what i complain about with you. you clog up good threads with stupidity.  for every one worthwhile post, you have 10 or 20 complete bullshit posts that aren't even worth reading.

You are complaining about me telling you a company buys up breweries and shuts them down and then doesn't produce beer but just markets swill produced by another company by them. I thought you would be interested to know how they marketed their beers  to hipsters.  They didn't go to bars and say they were PBR reps. they pretended to be local hipsters having a good time. 

This is about beer.  How is this bullshit?  You are complaining about the truth?  THe only stupid thing I read was when you said PBR was a better beer than Amstel Light.  Which is clearly ridiculous. 

If you want to know what beers PBR replaced just look at the brands they own.  Everyone they bought out and then shut the brewery down.  Is there a Nattie Boh factory in Baltimore? A schlitz brewery in Milwaukee.  A PBR brewery anywhere.  A Strohs Brewery in Detroit? An Olympia Brewery in Washington State?  A lone star in texas? etc. etc. etc.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:07:25 am by atomicfront »

atomicfront

« Reply #2425 on: April 11, 2013, 11:08:13 am »
Does anyone one know of any good craft lagers?

Yada

« Reply #2426 on: April 11, 2013, 11:08:54 am »
Miller High Life is the best light beer... and I.C. Light!

stevewizzle

« Reply #2427 on: April 11, 2013, 11:14:03 am »
we are arguing about a shitty beer vs another shitty beer. who cares, they are all shitty, and they serve a place.

but i was simply asking to provide background about buying up breweries and shut them down. i can't find anything about that.  this article gave me the best history, and also revealed that PBR owns natty bo.  

seems like no shitty beer is safe to drink.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2428 on: April 11, 2013, 11:15:10 am »
Does anyone one know of any good craft lagers?

bruery humulus. 

but expensive.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2429 on: April 11, 2013, 11:17:48 am »
If you want to know what beers PBR replaced just look at the brands they own.  Everyone they bought out and then shut the brewery down.  Is there a Nattie Boh factory in Baltimore? A schlitz brewery in Milwaukee.  A PBR brewery anywhere.  A Strohs Brewery in Detroit? An Olympia Brewery in Washington State?  A lone star in texas? etc. etc. etc.

i now see what you're referring to.