Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182326 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2445 on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:33 pm »
i alter my brain and what comes out of it . . . as the hours of the days go by.  the soundtrack of it is killer.

damn new page that now makes this have no sense.

vansmack

« Reply #2446 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:08 pm »
so, a brewery isn't going to price themselves out of the market, and a beer store isn't going mark-up too much and turn away customers or make enemies with their distributor.  too much competition.

Well, simple supply and demand indicate that this particular beer is not appropriately priced in the marketplace.  If it's THAT good, I'd be interested to see at what price the queue would be exactly the number of people in line to get a bottle.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2447 on: April 16, 2013, 10:45:45 am »
brewers have to think across their portfolios.  unlike wineries, few breweries are high-end only. they make special limited-releases that could command big bucks, but their bread and butter is the high-volume daily stuff.  they don't want to piss off customers by charging $50 a bottle for one offering - it breeds resentment and doesn't encourage loyalty.  as touchy-feely as this is going to sound, in my opinion there are aspects of equality and equal access in beer culture that inhibit high pricing.  some bands charge a lot for their concert tickets because they can, other bands don't go for the gouge.  i see wine as being the former, while beer is the latter.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2448 on: April 16, 2013, 11:12:37 am »
Speaking of the terrorists winning...

We are not allowed to bring alcohol into our work building, even if you have no plans of consuming it at work (no, I don't work ata mosque, rather a gov't building). How do they determine that you have alcohol in your possession? Using the x-ray system that they put in place not long after 9/11. Several times I have had to convince security guards that the bottle of root BEER I had in my lunch was not the same as actual beer.

So perish any thoughts I might ever have of rushing out and grabbing some limited special release beer on my lunch hour.

Thanks, terrorists.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2449 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:10 am »
ford - that does indeed suck.

my employer and building have no such limitations.  feel free to bring over your limited special release beer at any time ;D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2450 on: April 18, 2013, 03:56:17 pm »
Picked up the 2013 edition of Stone IRS the other day at Whole Foods in Foggy Bottom. Kicking myself for not grabbing the Espresso Stone IRS that was sitting next to it.

Relaxer

« Reply #2451 on: April 18, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »
Yeah, that blows. Every time I come back from a lunchtime stroll to Modern Liquors, my boss always wants to see what I got. Once when I brought back a 20 yr Willett, he sheepishly asked if I would open it so he could have a smell. Of course I did it. Unfortunately, it's a cork bottle and a third of it leaked out on my bike ride home  :'(
oword

Yada

« Reply #2452 on: April 18, 2013, 04:20:49 pm »
Yeah, that blows. Every time I come back from a lunchtime stroll to Modern Liquors, my boss always wants to see what I got. Once when I brought back a 20 yr Willett, he sheepishly asked if I would open it so he could have a smell. Of course I did it. Unfortunately, it's a cork bottle and a third of it leaked out on my bike ride home  :'(

He wanted a smell?? Hhahah... recovering alkie?

Relaxer

« Reply #2453 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:35 pm »
Nah, my suspicion is he didn't think it appropriate to be drinking 135 proof whiskey at 1:30 pm on a work day. Besides, the smell of good bourbon is right up there among my absolute favorite smells, along with killer weed and fine coffee.
oword

Yada

« Reply #2454 on: April 18, 2013, 05:01:18 pm »
Had this last night... never even heard of it or the brewery, quite tasty.

Tell Tale Hearty Ale

https://www.ravenbeer.com/default.asp?iId=GGIFFD

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2455 on: April 18, 2013, 05:03:28 pm »
Picked up a bottle of §ucaba yesterday. Friend says I should age it at least a year as he regrets opening his immediately. Now I need to find some Parabola.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2456 on: April 18, 2013, 05:51:57 pm »
we had a one-year old Sucuba last weekend at last weekend's bottle-sharing party at my place (write-up forthcoming, i swear).  it was indeed fantastic, better than the fresh stuff on tap at the Smoke and Barrel during CBC.  if i got a bottle i'd definitely age it a year.

i've gotten unconfirmed reports that gilley's has sucuba on tap.

how much is a bottle of sucuba retailing for?

and please, please, please let me know if you find parabola.  need me some of that.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2457 on: April 18, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »
It was reported that each and every Total Wine is getting a case of Parabola. It wasn't reported when they are getting it.

I'd almost rather score a Sucaba than a Parabola these days.

we had a one-year old Sucuba last weekend at last weekend's bottle-sharing party at my place (write-up forthcoming, i swear).  it was indeed fantastic, better than the fresh stuff on tap at the Smoke and Barrel during CBC.  if i got a bottle i'd definitely age it a year.

i've gotten unconfirmed reports that gilley's has sucuba on tap.

and please, please, please let me know if you find parabola.  need me some of that.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2458 on: April 18, 2013, 10:48:05 pm »

Bought the Sucuba for $14.50. Parabola should be coming out shorty - I had a bottle a few weeks ago that was aged for about a year. Well worth the wait.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2459 on: April 19, 2013, 12:27:54 am »
picked up two bottles of the Stone Espresso IRS from the FB WF.  they had at least 6 more bottles on the shelf, possibly more in the back.  i won't be touching mine for at least a year.  11% abv.  next available in 2015.

ford: if i can grab a sucuba, i'll happily trade you it for a parabola.  my weekend is booked so even if Total Wine gets parabola at a convenient time for me and i can reserve a bottle, there is next to no chance of me being able to trek out to VA to grab a bottle.  hopefully someone closer will get some. 
<sig>