Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181489 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2535 on: May 03, 2013, 04:49:08 pm »
I've had the Enjoy By 5.17.13 from two different kegs (Churchkey and PP Old Town) and the bottle this time around, and actually thought it tasted much better from the bottle. The hops really sing coming from the bottle, tasted more muted on draft.

Yada

« Reply #2536 on: May 03, 2013, 04:56:28 pm »
Too bitter? Too harsh?

I find 120 Mins too harsh, but I like Hoptimum for what it is.

i missed the lunch, traffic was terrible and didn't make it.  but $9 is a lot, and ended up buying a 4-pack of hoptimum for $10, and a bottle of bcbs to age instead.

re: bfm. maybe i had a funny glass or pour.  something was there making it less enjoyable.

I find Hoptimum basically undrinkable.

I haven't had it since last year's release but I remember it being completely bitter.

brennser

« Reply #2537 on: May 04, 2013, 06:47:16 am »
Too bitter? Too harsh?

I find 120 Mins too harsh, but I like Hoptimum for what it is.

i missed the lunch, traffic was terrible and didn't make it.  but $9 is a lot, and ended up buying a 4-pack of hoptimum for $10, and a bottle of bcbs to age instead.

re: bfm. maybe i had a funny glass or pour.  something was there making it less enjoyable.

I find Hoptimum basically undrinkable.

I haven't had it since last year's release but I remember it being completely bitter.

me too

atomicfront

« Reply #2538 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:57 am »
I visited the EVO Brewery in Salsbury, MD had a tour and tasted a bunch of brews and here are my grades:

Evo Brewery

Lot 3 IPA = C
Lucky 7 Porter B+
Exile ESP = B
Rise Up Stout B+
Summer Session = A
Prelude Gold = B
Special 608 Belgian Amber = A+
Incubator # 1 = B+

Then I went to Dogfish Head brew put and had the following brews:
Dogfish Head
 Ancient Ale: Nordicthern Europe = F
Brewed for Naught = D

atomicfront

« Reply #2539 on: May 06, 2013, 10:13:21 am »
Oh one more thing.  On my tour of the brewery at EVO I asked them why they didn't do Lagers  (as I saw they had cooling equipment) and he said they take too long to ferment and condition that it ties up their equipment.   He said it takes more than twice as long to make a lager. 

James Ford

« Reply #2540 on: May 06, 2013, 11:24:53 am »
Do they think their target audience would buy much lager if they were to make it?

Oh one more thing.  On my tour of the brewery at EVO I asked them why they didn't do Lagers  (as I saw they had cooling equipment) and he said they take too long to ferment and condition that it ties up their equipment.   He said it takes more than twice as long to make a lager. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2541 on: May 06, 2013, 11:47:19 am »
Do they think their target audience would buy much lager if they were to make it?

Why not?  Flying Dog makes 2 lagers.  I asked the guy why and he told me.   Makes sense.  If you can sell all the beer you make why would you intentionally  make less of it? 

I will tour the Flying Dog plant in July I will ask them about how their lagers are selling.

Oh I also had a Dos Equis lager yesterday.  It was actually pretty good. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:49:12 am by atomicfront »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2542 on: May 06, 2013, 11:47:50 am »

yeah, i should have been more precise about what i wrote previously about lagers.  you need to cool ales too when you make them, you just need to cool them less (ales ferment in 60's and 70's, lagers are down in the 40's and 50's).  and as the EVO tour pointed out, you need to cool them longer after fermentation.  lager are held at near freezing for several weeks while they condition, solids fall out of suspension, higher alcohols break down, the yeast flocculates, blah blah.  so in the time you can make one batch of lager, you could make 2 or 3 batches of ale.  you could serve a lager without lagering it... but it wouldn't taste like a lager.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2543 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:19 pm »
Flying Dog is the 40th largest brewer in America. http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/media/press-releases/show?title=brewers-association-releases-top-50-breweries-of-2012

Evolution is a small batch brewer who creates a fraction of the beer that Flying Dog makes.

Not really comparable.

Why not?  Flying Dog makes 2 lagers.  I asked the guy why and he told me.   Makes sense.  If you can sell all the beer you make why would you intentionally  make less of it? 

I will tour the Flying Dog plant in July I will ask them about how their lagers are selling.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2544 on: May 06, 2013, 12:23:47 pm »
Dogfish Head
Brewed for Naught = D

this nordicthern beer is the classic making of a gruit ale.  i'm excited to try this. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2545 on: May 06, 2013, 12:27:19 pm »
Flying Dog is the 40th largest brewer in America. http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/media/press-releases/show?title=brewers-association-releases-top-50-breweries-of-2012

Evolution is a small batch brewer who creates a fraction of the beer that Flying Dog makes.

Not really comparable.

What I find interesting is that there are only 3 breweries that aren't craft breweries.  Pabst doesn't brew beer so I don't know why they are on that list.  A couple of years ago when I toured Dogfish Head they said Sam Adams got the craft definition raised so they could still be a craft brewery.  6 million barrels is a ton of beer.  Comical that they are considered a craft brewery.  

I assume there is a huge difference between being 40th largest brewery and 10th.  

atomicfront

« Reply #2546 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:16 pm »
Dogfish Head
Brewed for Naught = D

this nordicthern beer is the classic making of a gruit ale.  i'm excited to try this. 

I couldn't finish it.  I like most dogfish head stuff but it was absolutely horrible.

James Ford

« Reply #2547 on: May 06, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »
2010 is a long time ago, but back then #40 put you somewhere in the 30K-75K barrel range and #10 put you in the 100K-150K range.

http://beerpulse.com/2011/04/the-top-50-breweries-of-2010/

Not really comparable.

What I find interesting is that there are only 3 breweries that aren't craft breweries.  Pabst doesn't brew beer so I don't know why they are on that list.  A couple of years ago when I toured Dogfish Head they said Sam Adams got the craft definition raised so they could still be a craft brewery.  6 million barrels is a ton of beer.  Comical that they are considered a craft brewery.  

I assume there is a huge difference between being 40th largest brewery and 10th.  

stevewizzle

« Reply #2548 on: May 06, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »

Not really comparable.

also comical that on the harpoon brewery "tour", they use to call out sam adams as "not really being craft, and not really being from boston". says the #9 largest craft brewer...

atomicfront

« Reply #2549 on: May 06, 2013, 12:43:28 pm »
2010 is a long time ago, but back then #40 put you somewhere in the 30K-75K barrel range and #10 put you in the 100K-150K range.

http://beerpulse.com/2011/04/the-top-50-breweries-of-2010/

Not really comparable.

So I think EVO said they are doing 12000 barrels a year.  Anyway they are new and I am sure they will grow.  There beers are all pretty decent.  Where as I think Flying Dog is more hit or miss.