Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181648 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2550 on: May 06, 2013, 12:46:35 pm »
Then I went to Dogfish Head brew put and had the following brews:
Dogfish Head
Ancient Ale: Nordicthern Europe = F
Brewed for Naught = D

this nordicthern beer is the classic making of a gruit ale.  i'm excited to try this. 

I couldn't finish it.  I like most dogfish head stuff but it was absolutely horrible.

so it goes with gruit ales.  right now, it's more of a novelty than it is a worthwhile beer, i imagine.  but the idea is it uses only herbs to achieve its flavor profile, and some of the herbs are straight out bizarre (bog myrtle, yarrow).  they are extremely inebriating and slightly hallucinogenic in moderate consumption.

James Ford

« Reply #2551 on: May 06, 2013, 12:48:18 pm »

There beers are all pretty decent.  Where as I think Flying Dog is more hit or miss.

I agree.

So I think EVO said they are doing 12000 barrels a year.  Anyway they are new and I am sure they will grow.  There beers are all pretty decent.  Where as I think Flying Dog is more hit or miss. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2552 on: May 06, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »
Then I went to Dogfish Head brew put and had the following brews:
Dogfish Head
Ancient Ale: Nordicthern Europe = F
Brewed for Naught = D

this nordicthern beer is the classic making of a gruit ale.  i'm excited to try this. 

I couldn't finish it.  I like most dogfish head stuff but it was absolutely horrible.

so it goes with gruit ales.  right now, it's more of a novelty than it is a worthwhile beer, i imagine.  but the idea is it uses only herbs to achieve its flavor profile, and some of the herbs are straight out bizarre (bog myrtle, yarrow).  they are extremely inebriating and slightly hallucinogenic in moderate consumption.

for me, gruit falls into the same bucket as the Reinheitsgebot: it's a product of a certain time in history, but we've moved on from that. 

nothing wrong with wanting to dabble in the roots of brewing and rediscovering old recipes, but i suspect there is a simple reason why we now hops instead of bog myrtle: hops taste better. 

maybe gruits aren't particularly good at the moment because it's an emerging style, people haven't found the right combos, etc.  i'm willing to bet that someone will come up with something tasty, i just haven't come across it yet.

another factor is that our palettes aren't used to the taste of gruit.  it challenges our conception of what a beer should taste like (as in, "i don't want my beer to taste like pine bark and burnt peanuts").
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #2553 on: May 06, 2013, 10:53:07 pm »
speak for yourself i love pine bark.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2554 on: May 07, 2013, 03:33:55 am »
Cracked open a Southern Tier Creme Brulee last night that I aged for a little over a year. The vanilla was incredibly overpowering, especially aroma-wise while I was drinking it out of a snifter. Was not a big fan suffice to say.

This is exactly what I said about this stuff awhile ago and got torn a new one over it. It's the flavorings that are too intense and over-done to the point of ruining that beer, and I usually love vanilla and caramel flavorings. Not so with this stuff.

James Ford

« Reply #2555 on: May 07, 2013, 08:09:34 am »
If y'all are looking for the best vanilla flavored porter that goes great with bbq tempeh tacos AND German chocolate birthday cake, this is what you need to get. Heavenly.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2556 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:45 am »
Cracked open a Southern Tier Creme Brulee last night that I aged for a little over a year. The vanilla was incredibly overpowering, especially aroma-wise while I was drinking it out of a snifter. Was not a big fan suffice to say.

This is exactly what I said about this stuff awhile ago and got torn a new one over it. It's the flavorings that are too intense and over-done to the point of ruining that beer, and I usually love vanilla and caramel flavorings. Not so with this stuff.

it's a terrible beer with age, and the consensus seemed to be don't age it, drink it fresh on draft.

and i'm not sure you ever "got torn a new one over it".

James Ford

« Reply #2557 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:46 am »
Darth Ed, tearing Jaguar a new one:

Quote from: Darth Ed on December 04, 2012, 01:15:34 PM
Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout is released in June, according to their website. if you bought it in the winter, i suspect it was sitting on the shelf for a long time. Also, I've had it both ways, and it tastes far better on draft in my experience. It's supposedly flavored with real creme brulee, but I do wonder how that is possible. The flavor is very intense, and it certainly may not be for everyone.

Yada

« Reply #2558 on: May 07, 2013, 09:34:58 am »
If y'all are looking for the best vanilla flavored porter that goes great with bbq tempeh tacos AND German chocolate birthday cake, this is what you need to get. Heavenly.

That's a ruined computer waiting to happen!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2559 on: May 07, 2013, 10:05:51 am »
James, there were other postings in there where others refused to accept what I said and made assumptions based on who wrote it, not what was said. So typical. Mine was the same age as BrettnotBritt's. It did not have a spoiled taste which even I recognize, especially when it comes to vanilla and caramel. There was too much flavoring added. Granted, it may very likely taste better on tap but in a bottle, which is what I had, it was horribly over-flavored. Even others agree with me as you see above but I guess you would prefer to ignore that. I love vanilla Coke but I wouldn't want that much added to my cola either. There is a big difference between the taste of spoilage as opposed to level of ingredients.

On another note, thanks for the suggestion of the vanilla porter. If I see it somewhere, I'll try it. I've been drinking the Leinenkugel Vanilla Porter when I go up to Seacrets for their half-priced entrees. (Their Catch of the Day is usually very good!) That's about the best you can get there regardless of personal tastes. Their beer selection is horrible and believe me, all of us would agree with that. Mostly low end crap. Leinenkugel and Blue Moon are about the best they offer and just maybe something from a localish brewer. Or maybe that crap Flat Tire. Don't remember exactly what all they offer. I can't remember. I go for the food. The Leinenkugel isn't really all that great but once you've had a few sips, it's not all that bad either. Let's call it 'acceptable' for my taste and not all that over-priced. They do use the perfect level of vanilla flavorings. It's just the beer itself that could use some improvement.

Yada

« Reply #2560 on: May 07, 2013, 04:39:01 pm »
Scored a bottle of Parabola.  :o

I also got a four pack of Surly's Overated West Coast IPA. Excited to try this...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2561 on: May 07, 2013, 11:16:30 pm »
also got a parabola.  soooooooooo excited about this.  dunno how long i'm going to be able to hold off... must... cellar...  need... streeeeeeeeeeeength...
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2562 on: May 08, 2013, 08:51:00 am »
Schlenkerla Fastenbier
Allagash Odyssey
Brooklyn Blast

Had these at Paradiso Old Town last night. All were very good.

Can definitely see why Fastenbier is the #1 smoked beer in the world on ratebeer. Definitely one of the best German produced beers I've had. Makes me want to go to Bamberg on our next trip to Germany.

The Oddysey is a barrel aged  10.4% abv dark wheat beer categorized as a "strong dark Belgian". It was very good and reminded me of a weizenbock (the best German beer style in my book). Though it wasn't as good as a Schneider Aventinus.

The Brooklyn Blast was a pleasant surprise (not typically a Brooklyn Brewery fan). It's a DIPA in name, but it's definitely low on the bitterness. Very refreshing with burst of flavor. A DIPA for people who don't like DIPA's (and for those who do but want something a little different).

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2563 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:10 am »
also got a parabola.  soooooooooo excited about this.  dunno how long i'm going to be able to hold off... must... cellar...  need... streeeeeeeeeeeength...

Try to age it if you can. I popped one open in March that I bought last year and it was well worth the wait. Is it just me or is Parabola even harder to come by this year?

atomicfront

« Reply #2564 on: May 08, 2013, 09:57:02 am »
Schlenkerla Fastenbier
Allagash Odyssey
Brooklyn Blast

Had these at Paradiso Old Town last night. All were very good.

Can definitely see why Fastenbier is the #1 smoked beer in the world on ratebeer. Definitely one of the best German produced beers I've had. Makes me want to go to Bamberg on our next trip to Germany.

The Oddysey is a barrel aged  10.4% abv dark wheat beer categorized as a "strong dark Belgian". It was very good and reminded me of a weizenbock (the best German beer style in my book). Though it wasn't as good as a Schneider Aventinus.

The Brooklyn Blast was a pleasant surprise (not typically a Brooklyn Brewery fan). It's a DIPA in name, but it's definitely low on the bitterness. Very refreshing with burst of flavor. A DIPA for people who don't like DIPA's (and for those who do but want something a little different).

Funny I just read something from the Brooklyn Brewery guy who basically said Double IPA's were dumb.  I guess it was a few years ago.  Sell-out. 

He did make an interesting points in the article.  That Craft Breweries only have 4 percent of the market and if you keep introducing people to craft beers with double ipa's you won't get market share as people will say craft beer is awful.  And then go back to drinking mass produced beer.  He makes good points.  He also said a double IPA is like saying be a man and drink this it is the hoppiest beer you have ever drank is like a chef saying be a man and eat this roast as it is the saltiest roast you have ever tasted.

I agreed with all he said and then he does something stupid like make a double IPA.