Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181156 times)

walk,on,by

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6015 on: November 20, 2015, 01:47:18 pm »

walk,on,by

« Reply #6016 on: November 20, 2015, 01:47:50 pm »

Yada

« Reply #6017 on: November 20, 2015, 01:58:26 pm »
I was reading a ratebeer reviewer's beer review of a sour by Allagash. He gave the taste a 9/10. And this is gow he described the beer. Fecal matter? Really?

Sample.pour at the brewery. Clear gold color, no head. Aroma is Brett Funk, mild oak and light fruit. The flavor is Brettanomyces forward with traces of fecal matter. Oak and the highest hint of rotten fruit. The finish as a touch of astringent oak. Texture is dry.

I recently had a Wicked Weed beer that had notes of horse dung in it, serizly.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6018 on: November 20, 2015, 02:21:33 pm »
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #6019 on: November 20, 2015, 04:06:01 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

« Reply #6022 on: November 21, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »
slack

« Reply #6023 on: November 24, 2015, 12:06:02 am »
Very randomly tonight, dropped my car off at the shop on 4 mile run @ nearly 8 PM in S ALR and had the rare delight to stumble upon Mike Katrivanos, the brew master of the not yet opened New District Brewing Company as he was putting on finishing touches on the new place. I knew it was opening, so though I'd stop by and just look into the window.  To my luck he took a little time out of his work on the new place to pour me a few and give me a tour.
Pretty small operation, just 15 barrel batches.  There will be no food, but 14 taps and the plan is to have something new on tap every week. Nice industrial inside and the possibility of a nice outside patio (not built yet.

Also giving it a little indie music cred...is on the same lot as inner ear studio!

They were fermenting a pumpkin spice and had a Pilsner in the bright tank.  He had a few barrels of stuff also aging.  To my unexpected delight gave me two generous glasses of beer as well.
 The 1-0 binary beer was really satisfying brown ale with a high ABV punch and the 1821 with it's Greek mountain tea was also a very enjoying pour and could see drinking many of those on a sunny afternoon.

Discussing the benefits of nitro in the Co2 pour was more fascinating to me. Sounds like they are taking production and presentation very serious

Looking forward to the doors opening in late December.
slack

medeski7

« Reply #6024 on: November 24, 2015, 07:57:56 am »
7 Locks Brewing Company opens this Wednesday in the Pike and Rose area. Looking forward to that.

Yada

« Reply #6025 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:57 am »
Space is most likely having a coronary due to the per ounce cost of Bourbon County vs. previous years... but oh it's so good. Sorry fart sound for fueling the machine.

« Reply #6026 on: November 24, 2015, 10:51:17 am »
fart sound .... fueling the machine.
I thought beans were the key there
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6027 on: November 24, 2015, 12:11:13 pm »
Pretty small operation, just 15 barrel batches. 

15 barrels is on the average-to-bigger side for a new brewery.  many start with a 7 or 10 barrel system.  both 3 Stars and DC Brau have 15 barrel brew houses.

7 Locks Brewing Company opens this Wednesday in the Pike and Rose area. Looking forward to that.

i was unaware of this, so thanks for the heads up!

after reviewing their website i'm a little less excited... their offerings look very don't-rock-the-boat middle of the road.  they're quick to point out that their pale ale is "not super hoppy".  but good for them for going after the masses, certainly the safer bet.  maybe once they get settled in they'll start doing one-offs, seasonals, etc.  article.

other upcoming MoCo breweries:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:16:53 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #6028 on: November 24, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »
Pretty small operation, just 15 barrel batches. 

15 barrels is on the average-to-bigger side for a new brewery.  many start with a 7 or 10 barrel system.  both 3 Stars and DC Brau have 15 barrel brew houses.

I may be off on this size, that is what I thought he said
the fermenter was about this size (not a photo from brewery)

So maybe it was 7-10 barrel
Pretty small set up

they are pretty bare bones with a lot of used and homemade equipment.
They did nearly all the work themselves including running gas lines, electric and all the plumbing
they have no investors, so they are not beholden to some Private Equity firm for making any decisions

but the two beers I had were good, nothing like "this is the best beer I ever had" but unique and very drinkable

The market is getting soo flooded, not sure how 1/2 of these places are going to make it a year or two
NDBC has a some what good location and I imagine their rent is a fraction compared to the restaurants just around the corner in shirlington
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6029 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:03 pm »
Best beer deal of the week:

Rodenbach Caractere Rouge

$15/ 32 oz growler fill
$30/ 64 oz growler fill

Whole Foods Fair Lakes