Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3183070 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6045 on: November 24, 2015, 05:08:14 pm »
just noticed this lil jem too

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6046 on: November 24, 2015, 05:17:21 pm »
Pretty small operation, just 15 barrel batches.  There will be no food, but 14 taps and the plan is to have something new on tap every week. Nice industrial inside and the possibility of a nice outside patio (not built yet.

I thought it was illegal in Virginia to run a bar - i.e., an establishment that doesn't meet the required food/alcohol ratio.

Apparently not the case as I've been to at least a half dozen VA breweries with tasting rooms and no food, save for an occasional food truck. We usually byo on the food.

Yada

« Reply #6047 on: November 24, 2015, 05:23:19 pm »
Currently drinking a Fat Tire at 30,000 feet. What a god awful beer.

« Reply #6048 on: November 24, 2015, 05:40:22 pm »
Pretty small operation, just 15 barrel batches.  There will be no food, but 14 taps and the plan is to have something new on tap every week. Nice industrial inside and the possibility of a nice outside patio (not built yet.

I thought it was illegal in Virginia to run a bar - i.e., an establishment that doesn't meet the required food/alcohol ratio.

Apparently not the case as I've been to at least a half dozen VA breweries with tasting rooms and no food, save for an occasional food truck. We usually byo on the food.
that used to be the case...possibly since they make the beer there it is exempt?
that was such a bullsh!t law, there was/is something like that in dc too
I remember the Raven had to sell food because of that...but I think they only had potato chips
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6049 on: November 24, 2015, 05:58:56 pm »

I had my first taste of one in summer of 2014 at the brewery tour. Definitely the worst beer on their tour but I wouldn't say god awful.

Yada

« Reply #6050 on: November 24, 2015, 07:05:57 pm »

I had my first taste of one in summer of 2014 at the brewery tour. Definitely the worst beer on their tour but I wouldn't say god awful.

Nothing like a watery, amber ale... At least they're free, but I should've went with Bud Light.

stevewizzle

« Reply #6051 on: November 24, 2015, 08:07:59 pm »
Quote from: quote got fucked up but its sidehatch

The market is getting soo flooded, not sure how 1/2 of these places are going to make it a year or two
NDBC has a some what good location and I imagine their rent is a fraction compared to the restaurants just around the corner in shirlington

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=seattle#

none of these places are struggling. DC beer market is the exact opposite of flooded. there's so much more room for growth, but i imagine high rent/high startup costs scare people away.

well you can't compare it to Seattle, that's just not fair
what suck on that map for dc....lots of Gordon Biersch and Sweetwater
but that map is pretty cool
If 100 mile circle around DC, there are about 75 Breweries! (not brewpubs...there are about 200 of those)

well, city vs. city, it's about 40 vs 80. meaning you've got at least 40 more breweries which can open before you start to worry about saturation :)

Aren't there many more white, middle class bearded beerdos in Seattle than in DC? DC has many more minorities and pussy wine drinkers, hence less craft beer fans.

you're definitely right about there being more of this very demographic, but most of these beerdos are too stoned to realize or care about the latest and greatest beers or breweries. i'd bet that most of those people have a stronger opinion about what pot chocolate is the best as opposed to what IPA is.

is that really still the case in DC? i hoped the culture would have shifted by now, especially since price wise, a bud light and a craft beer aren't much different.  plus, dc brau is great and i've heard nothing but good things about right proper.

« Reply #6052 on: November 24, 2015, 08:17:38 pm »
what pot chocolate is the best

well...can you ask, I'd like to know :)
slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #6053 on: November 24, 2015, 08:21:58 pm »
what pot chocolate is the best

well...can you ask, I'd like to know :)

goodship chocolate coffee dark is delicious and super potent.

stevewizzle

« Reply #6054 on: November 24, 2015, 08:30:39 pm »
Quote from: quote got fucked up but its sidehatch

The market is getting soo flooded, not sure how 1/2 of these places are going to make it a year or two
NDBC has a some what good location and I imagine their rent is a fraction compared to the restaurants just around the corner in shirlington

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=seattle#

none of these places are struggling. DC beer market is the exact opposite of flooded. there's so much more room for growth, but i imagine high rent/high startup costs scare people away.

well you can't compare it to Seattle, that's just not fair
what suck on that map for dc....lots of Gordon Biersch and Sweetwater
but that map is pretty cool
If 100 mile circle around DC, there are about 75 Breweries! (not brewpubs...there are about 200 of those)

well, city vs. city, it's about 40 vs 80. meaning you've got at least 40 more breweries which can open before you start to worry about saturation :)

well I think the folks in Seattle have a more cultured pallet when it comes to craft beer
so I don't think it's the same
city like that could handle 3 times as much as DC

DC if you don't have bud light on tap....you miss out on 80% of the local residents

tasting anything here does seem to carry less of a stigma, that's for sure. judgement gets thrown around way too much by DC folks. it's fun to taste beer/wine/coffee/etc and talk about it. being pretentious about it is one thing, but even that's relative.

DC has great distribution and friendly laws that create some incredible events, so maybe you're right, maybe it is approaching saturation, just a different kind. personally, i think DC could handle way more.

« Reply #6055 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:10 pm »
i think DC could handle way more.
I don't disagree, I think it's got a little way to go to 'peak'. 

But honestly if I were investor right now in a brewery that hadn't actually opened yet, I'd probably be feeling a little cautious about that investment.  A bunch of people (just like the ups/downs of the restaurant gig in general)are going to lose a LOT of money in the next few years.

slack

Unsanity

« Reply #6056 on: November 27, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »
Got myself a few bottles of Bourbon County Stout. Total Wine Chantilly had a line of 40-50 people to get in. Whole Foods didn't have any yet but I did enjoy a 5oz pour of Rodenbach Caractere Rouge and Millstone Sour Kriek Cider. Both were wonderful. Wegman's in Fairfax had it behind the counter.

That's my Black Friday.

Space Freely

« Reply #6057 on: November 27, 2015, 01:49:20 pm »
Got myself a few bottles of Bourbon County Stout. Total Wine Chantilly had a line of 40-50 people to get in. Whole Foods didn't have any yet but I did enjoy a 5oz pour of Rodenbach Caractere Rouge and Millstone Sour Kriek Cider. Both were wonderful. Wegman's in Fairfax had it behind the counter.

That's my Black Friday.

Did they have Coffee at Wegman's or just the Regular?

Relaxer

« Reply #6058 on: November 27, 2015, 07:34:18 pm »
Hey, what do you beer dorks think about the Smuttynose line? I've long liked the Brown Dog    ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ          ale and recently had another one that I loved but can't remember the name of. And right now I'm drinking a Shoals Pale Ale and I like it a lot, smooth and deep
oword

Space Freely

« Reply #6059 on: November 27, 2015, 07:49:58 pm »
Hey, what do you beer dorks think about the Smuttynose line? I've long liked the Brown Dog    ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ          ale and recently had another one that I loved but can't remember the name of. And right now I'm drinking a Shoals Pale Ale and I like it a lot, smooth and deep

Every beer I've had from the has been at least decent. Their Baltic Porter and Robust Porter are both excellent.

I did their tour in Summer 2014. Boring tour, but the beer samples were free. They put in a restaurant after that. Guess it's a good stop if you're ever driving from Boston to Maine.