Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3215143 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7680 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:10 pm »
I wonder in areas, meaning weird sections of the state where the brewery is located, can it just easily be found sitting on a shelf without any hoopla?

the brewery is in chicago and there is plenty of hoopla there on release day.  in fact there is a variant that is only available in chicago - guess how crazy beer geeks are for that beer?

is BCBS a great beer?  yes.  it is worth the time or expense?  i tend to think not.  it's only beer.  i got a few bottle of the barleywine variant because i stumbled across it.  last year i got none because i couldn't be bothered to chase it down.

i paid $15/bottle, with tax.  if that beer were available year round, i doubt i would buy it very often.

Last year they had some quality control issues with bacteria I do recall so be warned about that.

this year's batch was pasteurized, so no risk on infection. 
<sig>

Unsanity

« Reply #7681 on: December 01, 2016, 05:33:22 am »
Last year they had some quality control issues with bacteria I do recall so be warned about that.

Walkie was saying his bottle is from last year. I'm sure its fine. I didn't notice anything wrong with the several bottles I bought and drank in Virginia last year but I still wanted to give a heads up. I still have not tried the new improved pasteurized 2016's I picked up yet, maybe this weekend...

Space Freely

« Reply #7682 on: December 01, 2016, 09:44:35 am »

Walkie was saying his bottle is from last year. I'm sure its fine. I didn't notice anything wrong with the several bottles I bought and drank in Virginia last year but I still wanted to give a heads up. I still have not tried the new improved pasteurized 2016's I picked up yet, maybe this weekend...

Ok homebrewers, geek me out with an answer. Does pasteurization=improved?

Also name me the best one or two beginners homebrewing books.

Yada

« Reply #7683 on: December 01, 2016, 10:47:37 am »
If your bourbon county from last year is one of these dates, pour it on your head.

Refunds are available for Bourbon County Brand Stout bottles dated: Oct. 9, Oct. 12, Oct. 21, Oct. 22, Oct. 23, Oct. 26, Oct. 30, Nov. 4 and Nov. 5. The lone bottling date of infected Proprietor's Bourbon County Stout is Sept. 18. All bottling dates are from 2015.

Space Freely

« Reply #7684 on: December 01, 2016, 10:57:03 am »
Singlecut Softly Spoken Magic Spells may be the best bottled DIPA I've ever had. Nearly as good as it is on draft.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7685 on: December 01, 2016, 11:00:49 am »
If your bourbon county from last year is one of these dates, pour it on your head.

Refunds are available for Bourbon County Brand Stout bottles dated: Oct. 9, Oct. 12, Oct. 21, Oct. 22, Oct. 23, Oct. 26, Oct. 30, Nov. 4 and Nov. 5. The lone bottling date of infected Proprietor's Bourbon County Stout is Sept. 18. All bottling dates are from 2015.

just checked mine . . . dated 09/30/15.  so, I guess, mine is ok?

Yada

« Reply #7686 on: December 01, 2016, 11:01:40 am »

So they say.... but since you're not drinking again, might as well pour it on your head.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7687 on: December 01, 2016, 11:04:42 am »
it will be a gift to someone, who is a newcomer to the world of craft beer, so he will die when someone just gives him one of these.  I love introducing people to the world beyond what most people think as a "microbrewery."

yada, must get off, prince style, by hanging outside of aa meetings, and pointing / laughing.  with a beer, that only comes out once a year, in his hand . . . saying, you'll never know how much this matters.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:10:06 am by walkie,talkie »

Yada

« Reply #7688 on: December 01, 2016, 11:10:15 am »

Ok homebrewers, geek me out with an answer. Does pasteurization=improved?

Also name me the best one or two beginners homebrewing books.

Oh boy... I can only imagine a few years from now when Space's brewing is as excellent as his cooking and beer is no longer worth purchasing from a brewery, just brew it yourself at home!

Julian, please make note of this post.

Yada

« Reply #7689 on: December 01, 2016, 11:13:14 am »

yada, must get off, prince style, by hanging outside of aa meetings, and pointing / laughing.  with a beer, that only comes out once a year, in his hand . . . saying, you'll never know how much this matters.

i don't get this post.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7690 on: December 01, 2016, 11:15:50 am »
it was a joke.  you seem, to like to remind me, that I don't drink anymore.  as if, to rub in my face.  again, it was a joke.  let talk about crazy how ratbastard is or james and islam . . . and forget I brought it up.

gavroche

« Reply #7691 on: December 01, 2016, 01:46:18 pm »

I bought one bottle of regular last year to try what it because of all the hype.  Put it away and didn't really think about it until this year when the hype for 2016 picked up.  Haven't opened it, but sure enough mine is on the bad dates.

And refund date is cut off.  Rather annoyed.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7692 on: December 01, 2016, 01:50:23 pm »
Singlecut Softly Spoken Magic Spells may be the best bottled DIPA I've ever had. Nearly as good as it is on draft.

thanks for this heads-up!  i had never heard of this brewery.  looking at the map, it's easy to get to via subway and it's open until midnight wed-sat.  i'll be hitting this place up next time i'm in the NYC office.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7693 on: December 01, 2016, 02:06:55 pm »

thanks for this heads-up!  i had never heard of this brewery.  looking at the map, it's easy to get to via subway and it's open until midnight wed-sat.  i'll be hitting this place up next time i'm in the NYC office.

I had heard the name, so was intrigued when I saw that a local beer store was having Singlecut tap takeover when I was visiting my brother in upstate NY over the summer. We stopped in and were totally blown away.

They just started shipping small quantities of single (pricey) bottles and select kegs to DC. I've had that bottle as well as a couple of others on draft at Smoke and Barrel. All excellent. The beer director for Smoke and Barrel/NP/BP made similar flattering comments regarding the hoppy beers from SingleCut in the BA forum.

We're hoping to hit the brewery when we go to NYC in January (also considering LIC Beer Project in Queens, as well as Other Half and Threes in Brooklyn). I'll post a review here if we do so. If you're there anytime soon, let us know how it is!

Yada

« Reply #7694 on: December 01, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »
Velvet Merkin dropping around MD and morsels of BCBS still to be found.