Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3201538 times)

BrettnotBritt

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8115 on: April 14, 2017, 08:59:48 pm »
I mean it's bad enough that CBC was during Passover but to be stuck home sick the past couple of days is just icing on the cake. Probably saved some damage to my liver but between all the Advil I've been popping it's a draw at this point.

« Reply #8116 on: April 14, 2017, 11:01:00 pm »
Florida really has some killer brews, the options are just off the charts
it is funny how some restaurants still just have the bud/corona offerings when some great beer is being made just miles away.

Civil Society (Jupiter)- their Fresher than Fresh on tap...delish!  pretty close to the Veil and Aslin IMO
Barrel Of Monks - went to Sour Saturday and had so many good ones wish I could remember, but there was and Odd breed colab that was great (Odd Breed still isn't opening until June ...so next year I'll pay a proper vist to these guys)
Holy Mackerel- I need to go back, but the Mack In Black Imperial black Ale was very good (tap list here is rockin')
Due South - category 5 DIPA is a very crush-able caned beer and pretty available
Cigar City - nice to get a week old cans Jai Alai with ease
Funky Buddha Brewery - Really enjoyed the Hop Stimulator
JWB - Had some seriously high ABV stouts with La Nada and Forbidden planet.  Was just passing though, wish I'd went lighter and had some of the Berliner Weiss options they had on tap ...alas 
I do love Wynwood for just walking around and checking out all the art on everything

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:02:49 pm by springbreakHatch .🛠|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|🚀 »
slack

Yada

« Reply #8117 on: April 15, 2017, 09:12:01 am »
#cbc17 #liverfailure  >:(

X2

What a week.

Space Freely

« Reply #8118 on: April 15, 2017, 07:28:36 pm »
Ok, since Hatch took a crack at reviewing his Spring Break brewery tour, I'll take mine:

Olde Hickory Station (Olde Hickory Brewing, Hickory NC). Excellent beers, excellent guest taps excellent little bottle shop, food not so good.

Fonta Flora (Morganton, VA). Excellent  and interesting beers with foraged ingredients. Best of Doc Watson and Best of Conway Twitty on the cd player. My kind of place.

Pisgah Brewing (Black Mountain, NC). Decent beer, live jam session my wife was digging. Some old long bearded hippie guy who reeked of cigarettes came up and hugged me. My daughter asked, "Is he a hobo?" I mis-heard her with all the noise and thought she asked "Is he a homo?"

New Belgium Brewing (Asheville, NC) Excellent tour with plenty of free beer including La Folie. Great river view seating on a picture perfect day. Lots of outdoor space with plenty of people frolicking.

Funkatorium (Asheville, NC) All Wicked Weed sours, all the time. Informative tour, a little awkward as we were the only three people on the tour. I think I tried maybe 14 different tasters over the course of two visits. All very good, many very excellent. Great bottle shop (only Wicked Weed beers)

Hi Wire (Big Top location, Asheville, NC). Unremarkable but not terrible.

Sierra Nevada (Mills River, NC). Excellent, free tour with lots of free beer. Good food. Ambiance a little too estate-y and overdone for us. I can totally see why someone referred to this place as Malt Disney World.

Appalachian Vintner (Asheville, NC) Best bottle shop in town, and they had KBS on draft for $8/pour to boot (and Grimm and Lodgson among others).

Appalachian Mountain Brewing (Boone, NC) Four excellent beers, good ambiance, lots of dogs, great food truck. Beers included a brett porter, and a chocolate pomegranate gose (!) that you'd have to taste to believe.

Blue Mountain Brewing (Afton VA) Good DIPA and excellent peach gose. Decent food. Great view of the mountains, very dog friendly.

Three Notch'd Brewing (Charlottesville, VA) Their Minute Man IPA has to be one of the most underrated beers produced in VA. It's not really NE style as they bill it, but damn is it tasty.

Great tapas at Curate, great Indian at Chai Pani, great tacos at White Duck Taco, great Thai curry at Sierra Nevada. Asheville Pinball Museum was a lot of fun. Daughter enjoyed "gem mining" near Boone. Daughter puked multiple times due to the drive down Blue Ridge Highway.

K8teebug

« Reply #8119 on: April 17, 2017, 07:48:47 am »
Founders KBS at Frisco in Columbia on Friday at 7. Maybe it's been available in DC for a while now, but thought I would just give everyone a heads up!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8120 on: April 17, 2017, 09:51:00 am »
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8121 on: April 17, 2017, 09:52:45 am »
SN: Were any boardies at The Veil on Saturday? A dude in a 9:30 shirt and a long hairded hippie kept eyeballing the group of people I was in.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #8122 on: April 17, 2017, 11:08:28 am »

highlights?

X2

What a week.

ditto?

In no particular order other than my BOTW being listed as #1.

1.   Fuzzy by Side Project (just absolute perfection, wow)
2.   Jammy by Side Project/Casey collaboration
3.   Derivation #6 by Side Project
4.   DFPF by J. Wakefield (possibly in second place for the week)
5.   Albatross by Brew Gentlemen
6.   Hop Showers by Other Half
7.   Trouble in Paradise by 3 Stars (undoubtedly the best 3 Stars beers I?ve ever had)
8.   Coffee Cinnamon B-Bomb by Fremont
9.   Persica by Crooked Stave
10.   Wicked Juicy by Cellar Maker

« Reply #8123 on: April 17, 2017, 05:58:00 pm »
4.   DFPF by J. Wakefield
was at JWB this week and they don't even have that there
not sure why they don't make it all the time, but rare is what people crave
slack

Bagley

« Reply #8124 on: April 19, 2017, 10:53:18 am »
Any reports on the Lagunitas Waldo?

Space Freely

« Reply #8125 on: April 19, 2017, 11:38:48 am »

Last years was really boozy.

Craft Beer Cellar in DC had some a couple of weeks ago.

Check the Total Wine website if you live in VA.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8126 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:08 am »

Last years was really boozy.

Craft Beer Cellar in DC had some a couple of weeks ago.

Check the Total Wine website if you live in VA.
Y'all discussin' where's Waldo?
LVMH

shemptiness

« Reply #8127 on: April 19, 2017, 12:02:41 pm »

the stickiest of the icky?

Space Freely

« Reply #8128 on: April 19, 2017, 01:53:44 pm »
No, you didn't just see me at Brookland Pint drinking a Zombie Dust with my lunch.

Because you weren't there. Unless you were the guy ordering the DC Brau Pils or the girl ordering the Port City Optimal, or the old people drinking just water, or the couple with matching glasses of white wine (who knew Vansmack was still in town)?. Eyerolls to them all.

They also had ten different Westbrook beers, including three versions of Mexican Cake and two version of Gose, but a man has to be productive in the afternoon, so those will have to wait.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8129 on: April 19, 2017, 02:24:11 pm »
No, you didn't just see me at Brookland Pint drinking a Zombie Dust with my lunch.
(...)
but a man has to be productive in the afternoon, so those will have to wait.

oh stop it.  you're trying to tell us you had a whole beer to yourself, and you're still productive?  puh-lease.
<sig>