Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182161 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8145 on: April 20, 2017, 04:53:07 pm »
Good shitter read.

https://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/cbc-drink-diary-jace-gonnerman

That Jace kid seems like a good egg, but he really doesn't hold a candle to Engert in the fashion department, does he?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:54:45 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #8146 on: April 21, 2017, 02:50:40 pm »
Good shitter read.

can't believe one of the best beer fests comes to dc...and it's the week I'm out of town

it should come back around to DC in four or five years.

that was salt in the wound
slack

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #8147 on: April 21, 2017, 02:53:55 pm »
Good shitter read.

can't believe one of the best beer fests comes to dc...and it's the week I'm out of town

It was during Passover to boot. Oh and I also had pneumonia. Double whammy. Had my first beer in nearly two weeks last night and it was a very tasty Sip.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8148 on: April 21, 2017, 02:59:10 pm »
It was during Passover to boot.
Are you alleging the organizers are antisemitic?
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #8149 on: April 21, 2017, 03:05:09 pm »
Good shitter read.

Not sure if it's #fakenews, I was really drunk, or if I'm just making this up, but someone said it's always here every year following the election, which would make sense as the last time I drank that many days in a row was the spring of 2013.

brennser

« Reply #8150 on: April 22, 2017, 07:33:57 am »
#cbc17 #liverfailure  >:(

highlights?

#cbc17 #liverfailure  >:(

X2

What a week.

ditto?

In no particular order other than my BOTW being listed as #1.

1.   Fuzzy by Side Project (just absolute perfection, wow)
2.   Jammy by Side Project/Casey collaboration
3.   Derivation #6 by Side Project
4.   DFPF by J. Wakefield (possibly in second place for the week)
5.   Albatross by Brew Gentlemen
6.   Hop Showers by Other Half
7.   Trouble in Paradise by 3 Stars (undoubtedly the best 3 Stars beers I?ve ever had)
8.   Coffee Cinnamon B-Bomb by Fremont
9.   Persica by Crooked Stave
10.   Wicked Juicy by Cellar Maker

heres mine - roughly speaking as there were way way too many beers that week

1.   Fuzzy by Side Project (just absolute perfection, wow - tasted even better when they brought us a free pour)
2.   Swish - Bissel Brothers
3.   Rusty Nail by Freemont
4.   Orange Dreamsicle by J. Wakefield
5.   Derivation #6 by Side Project
6.   Bourbon Barrel Double Barrel Aged Expedition Stout by Bells
7.   Apple Brandy Barrel Maple Fayston Stout by Lawsons
8.   BA Dark Star by Freemont
9.   Triple Dry Hopepd Hard in the Paint by The Answer
10.   Blackbeards Rum Barrel Aged Bear Hug by Bells

Honorable mentions to many of the IPAs at the MP IPA fest, Foam Brewing,

Yada

« Reply #8151 on: April 24, 2017, 10:39:10 am »
Veil party went off without a hitch... incredibly well organized, tons of beer, crappy weather though.

I still think The Answer is putting out the best beer in Richmond IMO. Drank myself silly there.

Admittedly, thought the beer at the party was just ok. White Ferrari and the Gose were the big highlights for me. I thought the stouts were pretty overrated and took advantage of the current demand and traded for 3 loons within 24 hours, so that was a big plus.

Space Freely

« Reply #8152 on: April 24, 2017, 12:04:25 pm »
Veil party went off without a hitch... incredibly well organized, tons of beer, crappy weather though.

I still think The Answer is putting out the best beer in Richmond IMO. Drank myself silly there.

Admittedly, thought the beer at the party was just ok. White Ferrari and the Gose were the big highlights for me. I thought the stouts were pretty overrated and took advantage of the current demand and traded for 3 loons within 24 hours, so that was a big plus.

Love the beer at the Answer, just wish the space was a little nicer. Or more cheery. Or not in a stripmall. Or something. Same goes for Mekong.

« Reply #8153 on: April 24, 2017, 12:14:36 pm »
wish the space was a little nicer. Or more cheery. Or not in a stripmall. Or something. Same goes for Mekong.
He tried opening something up in the Fan (which is a neighborhood that is a little nicer, more cheery, and not in a strip mall) and it was out of business in like 6 months. I think he sort of poisoned his own well a bit, though, since he didn't change the name of the establishment from what was there before.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8154 on: April 24, 2017, 12:22:53 pm »
Also, don't sleep on Triple Crossing. The last time I was there they had a beer called Green Dreams that may be better than any of the hoppy offerings I've had at Veil or Answer. And the pizza at the Fulton location is also pretty tasty.

Although it appears that Green Dreams is "every evolving". Hey breweries, if you're going to change the hop profile in your beer, please give it a different name. Otherwise, it's confusing to is.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:25:15 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #8155 on: April 24, 2017, 12:31:25 pm »
Also, don't sleep on Triple Crossing. The last time I was there they had a beer called Green Dreams that may be better than any of the hoppy offerings I've had at Veil or Answer. And the pizza at the Fulton location is also pretty tasty.

Although it appears that Green Dreams is "every evolving". Hey breweries, if you're going to change the hop profile in your beer, please give it a different name. Otherwise, it's confusing to is.
I have not really enjoyed anything I got at TC other than a New England IPA whose name I forgot. I've given it a fairshake since the Fulton Hill location is, literally, next hill over from my neighborhood and they do flights and have pizza but despite a wide-selection, nothing ever really moved me I got there. Cool locations though.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8156 on: April 24, 2017, 12:38:58 pm »

I have not really enjoyed anything I got at TC other than a New England IPA whose name I forgot. I've given it a fairshake since the Fulton Hill location is, literally, next hill over from my neighborhood and they do flights and have pizza but despite a wide-selection, nothing ever really moved me I got there. Cool locations though.

The Green Dreams I speak of was a NE style DIPA. It's possible it could be the one you had. I also has a Berliner Weisse called Waxing Poetic Mango Passionfruit which was very good, good enough to make me grab a four pack. And will likely be even better from a can on a hot day. The others were ok to good (i.e. nothing I'd seek out again).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8157 on: April 24, 2017, 12:58:26 pm »

there is a simple reason why breweries don't want to rebrand every time they change a recipe: regulatory approval.  getting your labels approved by the TTB is a drawn-out pain in the ass.  going through the whole process all over again because you decided to change your percentage of citra vs. mosaic is a non-starter.

in other news, our beloved heady topper is "every evolving".  they're tweaking the hop bill all the time, and i've had some very different versions of the beer over the years.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #8158 on: April 24, 2017, 01:04:58 pm »

there is a simple reason why breweries don't want to rebrand every time they change a recipe: regulatory approval.  getting your labels approved by the TTB is a drawn-out pain in the ass.  going through the whole process all over again because you decided to change your percentage of citra vs. mosaic is a non-starter.

in other news, our beloved heady topper is "every evolving".  they're tweaking the hop bill all the time, and i've had some very different versions of the beer over the years.

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Speaking of the Alchemist, we had our first can of Focal Banger at Churchkey on SAturday. Side by side with small pours of Lawson's Sip of Sunshine and Melvin's Asterisk, both DIPA's. And while the two latter were both great beers, the single IPA Focal Banger was remarkably better. Man that Kimmich knows how to make hoppy beer.

Yada

« Reply #8159 on: April 24, 2017, 01:52:37 pm »

Love the beer at the Answer, just wish the space was a little nicer. Or more cheery. Or not in a stripmall. Or something. Same goes for Mekong.

Hmmm... I don't find it bad at all. I've never went in Mekong, but I have zero complaints about The Answer. My favorite style of cuisine with A+ beers. I will say their hoppy offerings were quite meh.