Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182925 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8535 on: November 09, 2017, 12:11:15 pm »
Did my first brewery tour of Richmond last week (big mistake not to be there this weekend).

There are a ton of them down there. Am I wrong in thinking that there is a considerable drop-off in quality once you get past the top 2-3 places? For some reason I expected a little more than what I got.

Space Freely

« Reply #8536 on: November 09, 2017, 12:14:20 pm »
Did my first brewery tour of Richmond last week (big mistake not to be there this weekend).

There are a ton of them down there. Am I wrong in thinking that there is a considerable drop-off in quality once you get past the top 2-3 places? For some reason I expected a little more than what I got.

Before I share my thoughts, answer this...which ones did you go to and what specifically were your impressions of each?

Also, what is going on this weekend?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8537 on: November 09, 2017, 12:20:28 pm »
Richmond definitely has a lot of places that are “places for white people to drink in public” more than “serious brewers trying to make quality beer.”

Veil, Triple Crossing, Lickinghole Creek, and Answer are all pretty legit according to my beer nerd friends.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #8538 on: November 09, 2017, 12:25:09 pm »

Before I share my thoughts, answer this...which ones did you go to and what specifically were your impressions of each?

I'm willing to answer prior to knowing... Veil and Answer are the only two making a point to hit. Others may have some high points, but nothing that touches Veil/Answer IMO.

Space Freely

« Reply #8539 on: November 09, 2017, 12:49:05 pm »
Richmond definitely has a lot of places that are “places for white people to drink in public” more than “serious brewers trying to make quality beer.”

Veil, Triple Crossing, Lickinghole Creek, and Answer are all pretty legit according to my beer nerd friends.

This is the correct answer.

Space Freely

« Reply #8540 on: November 09, 2017, 12:50:29 pm »

I'm willing to answer prior to knowing... Veil and Answer are the only two making a point to hit. Others may have some high points, but nothing that touches Veil/Answer IMO.

This is another correct answer.

Which DMV breweries would you put on a making a point to hit list?

Yada

« Reply #8541 on: November 09, 2017, 03:48:23 pm »

This is another correct answer.

Which DMV breweries would you put on a making a point to hit list?

Make a point to hit these two:

1. Ocelot (but way too far for some people)
2. Aslin (but way too many shitty rules in terms of how you can acquire beer or even drink there, still waiting for news of their new spot)

Then a very long list of mediocre ones that probably aren't worth making a specific trip to unless you're in the area.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8542 on: November 09, 2017, 03:48:36 pm »

Yes, this would have been my response, minus Lickinghole Creek.

Answer was a minor letdown. Veil and Triple Crossing were very good. Stone was ok, too, but they didn't have anything mindblowing that I hadn't had many times before.

I think this weekend is the East Coast beer bash at Triple Crossing's non-downtown location. Most of the major VA breweries plus Foam and some other great stuff.

I think that's this weekend, anyway.  Would have loved to go to that.

Yada

« Reply #8543 on: November 09, 2017, 04:09:59 pm »

Yes, this would have been my response, minus Lickinghole Creek.

Answer was a minor letdown. Veil and Triple Crossing were very good. Stone was ok, too, but they didn't have anything mindblowing that I hadn't had many times before.

I think this weekend is the East Coast beer bash at Triple Crossing's non-downtown location. Most of the major VA breweries plus Foam and some other great stuff.

I think that's this weekend, anyway.  Would have loved to go to that.

Interesting... what didn't you like about The Answer?

If you don't like flavored stouts/kool aid goses, I can see it being a let down but I'm assuming you went in there knowing about the Andalls, right?

« Reply #8544 on: November 09, 2017, 05:09:18 pm »
2. Aslin (but way too many shitty rules in terms of how you can acquire beer or even drink there, still waiting for news of their new spot)
Then a very long list of mediocre ones that probably aren't worth making a specific trip to unless you're in the area.
Aslin doesn't have a place you can drink right now...just buy cans and clothes
did talk to someone there two weeks ago and they are hoping to open in December...but it will probably be spring
Also, I think that BlueJacket in DC is really producing some fine brews, not sure why there is so much hate on them
Mexican Radio is fantastic and I loved the Wedding Sour they had (I'm sure that's gone now)

slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8545 on: November 09, 2017, 05:19:59 pm »
Interesting... what didn't you like about The Answer?

If you don't like flavored stouts/kool aid goses, I can see it being a let down but I'm assuming you went in there knowing about the Andalls, right?

I'm not into the flavored stuff too much. Venue is kind of meh. And aside from their own IPAs, there wasn't a lot that I wanted to try. Did have Aslin's Hazy Orange Tears while I was there, and that was good.

Yada

« Reply #8546 on: November 09, 2017, 05:37:15 pm »
Aslin doesn't have a place you can drink right now...just buy cans and clothes
did talk to someone there two weeks ago and they are hoping to open in December...but it will probably be spring
Also, I think that BlueJacket in DC is really producing some fine brews, not sure why there is so much hate on them
Mexican Radio is fantastic and I loved the Wedding Sour they had (I'm sure that's gone now)

Yes, I'm in agreement on the Aslin piece which I said above... but their beer is a "must try" if you're in the DMV area.

I actually really like Blue Jacket too and considered putting them on the list, however, my issue with them is they typically have 20+ drafts on tap and maybe five of those drafts are A+ with the majority being mediocre at best.

I do love the greg wedding beer and I'd say the barrel aged mexican radio is as good as any of the big dogs in that arena.

Space Freely

« Reply #8547 on: November 10, 2017, 03:03:08 pm »
Double Duckpin better than Heady Topper, Sip of Sunshine, and the Veil's Idonteverwant2bu? Triple Crossing with two of the top 5 DIPA's? LOL

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/10/176-of-the-best-dipaimperial-ipas-blind-tasted-and.html?a=1

medeski7

« Reply #8548 on: November 19, 2017, 10:57:42 am »
I spoke briefly with Greg Engert yesterday at the Owen's Ordinary anniversary event.  He said to expect Bluejacket to start canning beer around March and to expect an announcement around that time related to a barrel aged beer club. 

Bagley

« Reply #8549 on: November 20, 2017, 10:46:51 am »
First time for the Founder's Doom last Friday on tap at WOB Rockville.  It's an expensive, one and done type brew but what a pleasurable experience.  Pours a beautiful bourbon-like amber hue and tastes like you're sipping whiskey when it warms.   Exquisite!