Author Topic: The Alarm Get a Hit Again  (Read 11056 times)

ratioci nation

The Alarm Get a Hit Again
« on: February 23, 2004, 10:42:00 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3503959.stm

Ageing punks' single stunt a hit

Ageing post-punk band The Alarm have scored a top 30 UK chart hit - with a stunt disguising themselves as an unknown younger group.
 Recording as The Poppyfields, the band, from north Wales, are at number 28 after selling more than 4,000 copies of 1970s-style punk single 45RPM.

In its accompanying video The Alarm are replaced by teenage Chester rockers The Wayriders who mime along to the song.

Singer Mike Peters said it was done to prove how much image affected sales.

"We decided we would do something where it was judged purely on its own musical value," Peters, 44, told BBC News Online.

He said The Alarm, most famous for their 1983 hit 68 Guns, were not always taken seriously by DJs because of their age and an image perceived to be outdated.

"The Alarm as an entity have been going for 20-odd years and history can go against you - we wanted to break the barrier down.

"We wanted the song to be judged on its merits and stir up the water a little bit, break the mould."

Peters and fellow band members James Stevenson (guitar), Craig Adams (bass) and Steve Grantly (drums) have a strong fanbase in Europe and the US.

Peters said they worked largely "underground", often avoiding the music business and using the internet to reach their loyal following.

The band, whose current line-up includes former members of Stiff Little Fingers, Generation X, The Cult and The Mission, recently recorded 12 fans' favourites for a new album.

Peters is something of a folk hero in his native Wales where he is receiving a lifetime achievement award at the Welsh Music Awards in Cardiff on Friday.

In a list of 100 Welsh heroes, he is currently number seven behind Tom Jones, Richard Burton and Welsh revolutionary Owain Glyndwr.

The band have just added a further date to their UK tour at London Scala on 2 March after selling out their show in the capital the previous night.

G.Love

Re: The Alarm Get a Hit Again
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 11:35:00 am »
68 guns our battle cry,
 68 guns will never die!!!

somebody help me out - but what is the history behind 68 guns -not the song?

Bags

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 11:36:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:
  "We wanted the song to be judged on its merits and stir up the water a little bit, break the mould."  
Why do they have to bring Bob Mould into this -- okay, so he got all svelte and kinda hot, but do you have to slag on him?

Okay, kidding aside, Donny Osmond did this a while back as well, sending a single out anonymously (or with a pseudonym, I don't remember) to radio stations, and it got airplay and a lot of good buzz.  Until folks found out it was darlin' Donny.

I believe it's true, that whole image thing.  Certainly the converse is -- there's an awful lot of shit out there that I think gets played 'cuz the singer's hot.  Bless KEXP!!

PS, though that lineup looks awesome, after "Bands Reunited," I was really hoping the story was going to be about the original lineup...

bungle bud

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 11:43:00 am »
yep it sold 5000 copies  :eek:   selling 15,000 will get you to number one.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  PS, though that lineup looks awesome, after "Bands Reunited," I was really hoping the story was going to be about the original lineup...
Agreed.  I thought this was gonna be a "they're back!" announcement, rather than a "Mike Peters and  Friends have a hit" announcement.  I'm sure they sound fine - but that ain't The Alarm.

mankie

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
In a list of 100 Welsh heroes, he is currently number seven behind Tom Jones, Richard Burton and Welsh revolutionary Owain Glyndwr.

Ryan Giggs better be on that list!

bungle bud

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 02:30:00 pm »
is nobby the sheep welsh?