Author Topic: The Olympics Thread  (Read 84290 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: The Olympics Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 12:50:02 am »
Two quick questions for those of you who follow the Winter Olympics closer than I, it's been a least two go rounds since I last watched.

Are the blue lines painted for the skiing events something instituted for these Olympics or was introduced for past Olympics?

And when did they change the way skating was judged?
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:43 am »
Are the blue lines painted for the skiing events something instituted for these Olympics or was introduced for past Olympics?
I believe they're new, and they're simply guides. You can go outside them.

And when did they change the way skating was judged?
Just wondering the same thing.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 03:44:01 am »
so slovakia-russia was all kinds of awesome.  didn't mean to stay up this late but couldn't tear myself away.  dammit.
<sig>

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 05:42:40 am »
I'm just jumping into this thread and I have not read all the previous posts.  Just want to make a general observation.  I'm not trying to start anything or kick anyone's cat but the Olympics just don't seem to be what they were a few decades ago.  They just don't seem quite as special or big.  Almost to the point of being just another international competition.  Didn't they change the format a number of years ago where, instead of both games being held the same year and then no Olympics for another four years, we now have a games every two years, summer then two years later winter, etc?  I think they did that and with the games happening more often it just seems less of an important thing.  Then again, maybe I am just an old fucker.
FUKIT

walkonby

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 09:20:35 am »
I'm just jumping into this thread and I have not read all the previous posts.  Just want to make a general observation.  I'm not trying to start anything or kick anyone's cat but the Olympics just don't seem to be what they were a few decades ago.  They just don't seem quite as special or big.  Almost to the point of being just another international competition.  Didn't they change the format a number of years ago where, instead of both games being held the same year and then no Olympics for another four years, we now have a games every two years, summer then two years later winter, etc?  I think they did that and with the games happening more often it just seems less of an important thing.  Then again, maybe I am just an old fucker.

no . . . "they" know that americans love to shell out money on any kind of sport from cockroach racing to midget tossing to anything involving groups of big men playing with their balls.  and then the betting on top of it plus sponsors plus television contracts is a whole other topic.  people need sports all the time to make themselves feel apart of something and to feel as if they could do the said sport because they watch so much of it.  kinda like that guy in alaska who watched and studied bears so much . . . he thought he was one.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »
Mass, Nationwide Canadian Seppuku in 5... 4...

ggw

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »
U - S - A !

U - S - A !

U - S - A !

U - S - A !

vansmack

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 11:12:20 pm »
suck it 51st state!
27>34

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 11:13:28 pm »
suck it 51st state!
Hey, man, that's cold! Canada's our hat, they keep us warm. Don't hassle the hat, brother, don't hassle America's hat.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 12:46:02 am »
canada's collective response (roles reversed, obviously)
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 10:28:43 am »
i just hope marty sucks this much once the nhl starts back up
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 01:13:19 pm »
also, how absurd was it to play this game on msnbc? i think only fios has it in hd
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 01:24:18 pm »
also, how absurd was it to play this game on msnbc? i think only fios has it in hd

Well they needed to keep the main network free for the important stuff. . . . like ice dancing.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 01:31:54 pm »
i watched the game at a friend's who has fios.  trust me, it wasn't any prettier in HD.
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 02:18:06 pm »
did you call in sick today
o/\o