Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 377365 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #870 on: September 23, 2010, 11:32:18 pm »
http://www14.ticketingcentral.com/V2/Quantity.aspx?8CD298566AF456A

They are now selling $30 karma tickets (free ticket plus $30 donation)

that link doesn't work, but it's linked from the front page of ticketfly.

i guess that's how they're releasing the unclaimed tickets?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #871 on: September 23, 2010, 11:35:53 pm »
and here is the schedule!

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/midnight_sun/blog/untitled.JPG

really hate the fact that pavement and lcd soundsystem are playing the pavilion stage

that schedule has the event going until 11 pm... doesn't MPP have a 10 pm curfew?  or did we party it up until 11 last year?
<sig>

Staralfur25

« Reply #872 on: September 24, 2010, 02:22:30 am »
i think i'll be more of the west side and dance tent ..minus trombone and ludawatever...not sure what to do about lcd soundsystem and sharam playing at the same time. 
the only band i'm interested in seeing at the pavillion is edward sharpe cause they are out there. haah

mahimahi1414

« Reply #873 on: September 24, 2010, 07:35:42 am »

that schedule has the event going until 11 pm... doesn't MPP have a 10 pm curfew?  or did we party it up until 11 last year?

I recalled it ending at 10 last year.

shemptiness

« Reply #874 on: September 24, 2010, 07:41:34 am »
Pretty sure the curfew is 11, but they probably cut it off at 10 in an attempt to get all the drunken riff-raff out of there.   ;D

Sir HC

« Reply #875 on: September 24, 2010, 09:10:06 am »
It is 11pm.  With the always installed lawn PA, they can keep the SPL below the limits and get an extra hour.  It used to be when bands brought the whole PA, the SPL wasn't as well controlled outside the pavilion an so sound problems were worse.

I grew up about 2-3 miles from Merriweather and as a kid remember hearing concerts from my house.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #876 on: September 24, 2010, 09:40:57 am »
from last night's LCD SS show in Jersey:

"Sleigh Bells was shit. Their weak karaoke act needs to go away. The guitar player wasn't even on stage for 1/3 of their songs."
(_|_)

Got Haggis?

« Reply #877 on: September 24, 2010, 10:50:19 am »
I agree with that, I saw them at the Ottobar earlier this year and pretty much exactly what I thought.  I wasn't even sure the singer was singing most of the time, and when the guitar player was on stage, i think most of the guitar sounds were coming from the laptop, not his guitar.

atomicfront

« Reply #878 on: September 24, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »
I agree with that, I saw them at the Ottobar earlier this year and pretty much exactly what I thought.  I wasn't even sure the singer was singing most of the time, and when the guitar player was on stage, i think most of the guitar sounds were coming from the laptop, not his guitar.

I guess the Sleigh Bell backlash has begun.  I was at that show as well.   I thought they were pretty good.  I don't know how much was live but look at how many people go see Daft Punk and they are probably not even in the country for their shows.  Much less playing anything live

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #879 on: September 24, 2010, 01:09:31 pm »
I don't know how much was live but look at how many people go see Daft Punk and they are probably not even in the country for their shows.  Much less playing anything live

it's definitely the 2 daft punk dudes in those robot suits. 

people that go to an electronic music show expecting a rock show will be disappointed every time.  the music wasn't written "live" and wasn't recorded "live" (for the most part) - why should it be performed "live"?  i can't decide if it's more disengeneous or ignorant to think that it should be performed in the same way as rock music.

admittedly, some artists are partially to blame.  instead of embracing the genre for what it is - live remixing, with maybe vocals or a guitar "live" on top - they try to make it into a rock show.  on the other hand, watching someone behind a computer/mixer/etc isn't very visually compelling :)  hence the brilliance of daft punk's show: we aren't that interesting to watch while we make the music, so here, have a mind-blowing light show ;D

hip-hop has live music in the recodings, but no one ever complains that at concerts it's always a DJ and not a full band (or alternately, praise them for having a live drummer or whatever).
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #880 on: September 24, 2010, 01:20:43 pm »
Thing is the pioneers of electronic music had to record their music "live" to analog, no such thing as profound etc...  So essentially what your saying is that contemporary electronica acts are a bunch of pussies who sit behind computers all day long....
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #881 on: September 24, 2010, 01:21:36 pm »
Profound = protools
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #882 on: September 24, 2010, 01:31:17 pm »
That's exactly why live hip hop shows have never interested me.

hip-hop has live music in the recodings, but no one ever complains that at concerts it's always a DJ and not a full band (or alternately, praise them for having a live drummer or whatever).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #883 on: September 24, 2010, 01:57:11 pm »
Thing is the pioneers of electronic music had to record their music "live" to analog, no such thing as profound etc...  So essentially what your saying is that contemporary electronica acts are a bunch of pussies who sit behind computers all day long....

or alternately, i'm saying that contemporary electronica acts are using the superior tools available to them today.  rock'n'roll was originally recorded straight to 2-track, with all the musicians spaced around a single microphone in the middle of the room - should everyone be doing that today?

also, those pioneers of electronic music didn't perform live - they'd do 50+ takes in the studio until they got it right, an option not available on stage.  thus, they don't belong in this debate.  but thanks for keeping it old school :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:58:51 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #884 on: September 24, 2010, 02:24:15 pm »
Kraftwerk for the win
T.Rex