Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 381603 times)

wml7

Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #945 on: September 26, 2010, 11:00:31 am »
Ok lets get back on topic  ;D  So I got to MD around 10:50 or so.  I wanted to get to MD early for the free shit and it's about 3 hours from Charlottesville.  Didn't get much free stuff this year compared to last.  I got two free t shirts which were kind of cool.  One was some weed vodka or something and another had all the bands on it.  Some water company were handing those out and they don't look too bad.  Didn't bother with the converse because all you get is one shoe and never the right size.  

First band was Brite Lite Brite.  Not sure of what to make of this.  However that chick singer is a cutie  ;D  Next band was Jimmy Eat World.  They were awesome.  A crowd favorite with all their songs.  Next Edward Sharpe.  Just like someone said earlier he needs to be punched in the face..... multiple times if possible.  It's like hippies gypsies.  The crowd love it though, I don't get it.  Saw a little Yeasayer.  Was too hot over there as I was a baked potato.   Pat Bentar was good but I thought it could have been louder.
Pavement was pretty good and LCD ended the night nicely.  Overall, another good festival.  I got my moneys worth which was free  ;D  Thanks Sethy and everyone for another great year.  Oh did anyone take pics of the forum meetup???  All three that showed up?  ;D

hutch

« Reply #946 on: September 26, 2010, 11:01:43 am »
From what my friend said the problem with the fight during Joan Jett or whatever is that it took a really long time for any medics to arrive.. a really long time.. from what I heard we're talking 10-20 minutes with the guy down..I'm surprised to hear someone was in a puddle of blood during Pavement as I heard That GUy was cleaning/scrubbing with clorox.. there must have been some SERIOUS blood.

Again I wasn't there..

I pretty much broke up a fight during LCD in the middle of the pit.. took a kick too. anyways.

I basically found before pavement there was hardly any security and you could just walk down the loge VIP.. then I saw people were just going into the pit ..walking down nonchalantly..no one cared... yes there was a line but people were just walking into the pit a few feet to the right of the line..so i was like "guess I'll try" and i just walked down..no one cared... as they cleared the pit after pavement i hung back right where the line to get in started.. then a few peeps rushed pit and in I went..it was pretty surreal... for a while I was standing less then 10 feet from Murphy but I got pushed back a bit ... LCD was a real good time..

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:06:39 am by hutch »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #947 on: September 26, 2010, 11:23:57 am »
chilled in the very front center of the lawn, which was perfect and pleasant. Sound + sightlines were ideal, spot had a real backyard vibe to it.

Biggest surprise of the day.  We arrived late as hell but managed to find space almost dead center at the very front of the lawn.  It was perfect.  But even as we were walking in it seemed the sound from the lawn was better than I'd ever heard it before.

Glad I finally got a chance to see Pavement - they were great.  Unfortunately, after 20 minutes or so the wife realized she wasn't really into LCD so we decided to catch a little MIA before heading back to the dance area one last time.  She was terrible.  Had a nice crowd, though.  Can't imagine why.

Fireworks were a nice touch.

THANKS, SETH!  WE HAD A BLAST!!

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #948 on: September 26, 2010, 12:25:27 pm »
I never waited very long for anything

So you didn't buy food? What a fucking calamity the food lines at the west stage were.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #949 on: September 26, 2010, 12:27:40 pm »
and robbers sue people that shoot them as they are breaking into houses.  when people smell the chance of lawsuit, even if they deserve what they got . . . there is always a lawyer who will take the case, dissect it and put it back together the way they want it and need it to go, then win the case or atleast get some kind of $$ settlement.  welcome to the "easy" generation where downloads prevail and anything slacker is the norm.

Quit your fucking whining, you fucking pantload.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #950 on: September 26, 2010, 12:28:57 pm »
For the record, Matt and Kim are fucking AWFUL.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #951 on: September 26, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »

So you didn't buy food? What a fucking calamity the food lines at the west stage were.

I noticed this and it was the exact opposite from last year, when people were complaining about the long food lines around the pavilion, when the food lines were none existent at the west stage.   Wonder if they didn't staff up correctly...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #952 on: September 26, 2010, 12:55:20 pm »
Realizing that I'm living up to the t-shirt.... LCD Soundsystem left me cold, maybe it was the length of the day, but the songs felt like they need some editing and it just wasn't funky enough.... there i said it..
T.Rex

wml7

« Reply #953 on: September 26, 2010, 01:00:42 pm »
I thought LCD was pretty good.  They were much more better then when they played the second year of the V fest, that was a zzzzzzzzz  ;D

mahimahi1414

« Reply #954 on: September 26, 2010, 01:04:47 pm »
I thought it was great. I was at the Pavilion for the first five acts. I was a bit concerned about the pit removal policy but it turned out not to be a big deal at all. We just left in the middle of the last song (well for Edward Sharpe we left during home because we assumed it would be last and Joan Jett we left right after the drunk asshole got taken down because she just wasn't doing anything for us and there were a bunch of people really into her). Each time we got a great spot... first or second row in the middle. For Brite Lite Brite through Joan Jett, anyone who wanted to get into the pit was allowed in. It was also nice because you were surrounded by people who actually like the band as opposed to those who are sitting there just waiting for the next one.

All in all I thought Edward Sharpe and Matt and Kim were great. JEW and Sleigh Bells were decent and the crowd was pretty into it (especially Sleigh Bells). Joan Jett just kinda seemed old and I didn't think her voice was still good at all. I dunno she just wasn't able to play with a lot of excitement. And I usually like classic rock acts.

I didn't go to LCDSS, was the lawn packed? I was expecting a fair amount of the MIA people to filter into Sharam but there were maybe 1500 people there (the size of the crowd fluctuated a lot) so I guess a lot of people just went home at 10. Chromeo was absolutely packed and Sleigh Bells had a decent crowd.

Regarding the food line, I didn't buy anything but my brother went to one of the stands near the pavilion  like 4ish and said there was no line whatsoever. 

Overall great festival. Thanks a lot everyone who put it on.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:06:32 pm by mahimahi1414 »

Here's the thing

« Reply #955 on: September 26, 2010, 02:02:03 pm »

You know, I did see that when we walked over to the West Stage mid-day, but forgot about it when I wrote. We had just eaten over by the Main Stage, and there were no lines at all. It took longer to find a shady spot to sit than it did to get the food.

nkotb

« Reply #956 on: September 26, 2010, 03:10:50 pm »
Think you're mixing up your 80's female rockers :)

Pat Bentar was good but I thought it could have been louder.

yohansen5b

« Reply #957 on: September 26, 2010, 03:22:04 pm »
Excellent day but super long. Expecting a sea of thousands, I showed up just shy of 11am competing with nearly no one for parking in the main lot. I think I saw just about every band...

-- Brite Lite Bright: I enjoyed the first few minutes of it but it didn't hold for me.  Yes, singer is cute.  The set reminded me of pomplamoose for some reason.
-- Temper Trap: I had lower expectations for them and they surprised me.  Really enjoyed the half-set I caught.  And, as it was early, a much smaller crowd to negotiate.  
-- Jimmy Eat World: Amazing.  It's as if they asked me personally for the songs I wanted to hear.  Even from the lawn, great rock set.  I also managed to see their brief interview before Brite Lite Brite; awkward interviewer but definitely cool to be in the same room.  I am still surprised they were one of the first bands of the day; I would have expected them to play later (following ES&TMZ and M&K).
-- Edward Sharp & The etc etc: I saw them from 9:32 with kosmo and sweetcell (nice meeting you dudes).  As I said to them, ES&TMZ looks like they're just making music to occupy themselves while they wait for Hale Bopp to make it's next appearance.  Bonus points for the super awkward interview of Alexander.
-- Yeasayer: I remember seeing them thinking it was really dusty and hot.  For some reason, I was surprised they lead singer is from the US.  For some reason, I always think he's British (I of course have no basis for this thought).
-- Joan Jett: Very cool to see and I enjoyed the half-set I saw.  It felt like she's played the same set about a bazillion times.
-- Thievery Corporation: First time I've seen them.  I liked it.
-- Matt & Kim: A big surprise for me. Usually two people playing two instruments does not mean a lot of energy.  But they brought the energy.  It's a lot of fun watching people playing music having a lot of fun with it.  Really enjoyed this set.
-- Ludacris: For some reason, the half-set I saw was comical to me.
-- Pavement: Second time I've seen them this year and second time I haven't been blown away. I know they're indie gods...perhaps I'm just not as familiar with their catalog.  I enjoyed Malkmus's banter: "...wait, I don't know what song we're playing."
-- Sleigh Bells: I loathe the songs I've heard from them.  That said, their set was a big surprise and I enjoyed it.  I'm sure my ears would bleed if the set was indoors.  I also wonder how big a loss their show would take without the lighting and volume.
-- MIA: As with Sleigh Bells, I really dislike MIA; I do not understand the fuss about her.  I wanted to see MIA's set to see if she really was a singer/rapper or, like I expected, more like Charlize Theron's character in Arrested Development.  After an annoying 10-minute late start followed by a terrible 10-minute DJ intro, I concluded MIA's sole purpose in art is to irritate me and I left.  From what I've heard, I don't regret it ("I just watched an MIA song involving a power drill solo"....srsly?)
-- LCD Soundsystem:  Fantastic.  I was exhausted by the time they showed up but I was really impressed with their set.  "All My Friends" was perfect.  What a good ending to a great day.

Other random notes:
-- There was a lot of free stuff but a long line to collect the free stuff so I didn't get any free stuff.
-- I had no problems buying food.  The BGR grub was delicious.
-- Yesterday was crazy hot.  And the dust!  
-- Getting out of the parking lot was super easy.  I was home in DC in under an hour from the time I got to my car.  No idea why but I was thankful.

It really did appear that all 30,000 people was having a lot of fun.  Even though I was flying solo, I had a great time.  I haven't been to a lot of festivals but I must say that FreeFest2010 was exceptionally well organized and managed.  And for free!  I still cannot get over that.  I saw so many bands for the price of food and beer.  

So: Thank Seth and everyone who helped put the day together.  It was a hell of a festival!

wml7

« Reply #958 on: September 26, 2010, 08:01:45 pm »
Think you're mixing up your 80's female rockers :)

Pat Bentar was good but I thought it could have been louder.

haha, I just realized that....... I mean Joan Jett  ;D

wml7

« Reply #959 on: September 26, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »
So who of you got the VIP??  Anything good with the perks??  How about the backstage tour??  Do tell  ;D