Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 377449 times)

wml7

Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #975 on: September 27, 2010, 12:01:47 pm »
Whats up with guys wearing skin tight jeans in 90+ degree heat?  You hipsters do make for some epic people watching.

or people wearing all black too, I swore I saw someone with a trench coat on  ;D

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #976 on: September 27, 2010, 12:08:33 pm »
Whats up with guys wearing skin tight jeans in 90+ degree heat?  You hipsters do make for some epic people watching.

There were so many hipsters wearing ridiculously stupid things. It was hilarious.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #977 on: September 27, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »
I'm guessin' the number of people allowed to stand in the pit equals the number of people sitting in the pit,  thus why the pit is never filled to capacity.  Which is fine me, bring able to stand away from the sweaty masses...
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #978 on: September 27, 2010, 12:20:29 pm »
Loved:

Matt & Kim - their music is basic and isn't really all that inspiring in anyway...but they are so happy when they play and it rubs off

this.  they aren't cerebral, they aren't trying to change anything... they're just a pure joy to watch and dance to.

Hated:

Beer Prices - but this is always a problem, isn't it?  Nothing like paying the price of a 6 or 12 pack for 1 beer.

srsly?  as others have pointed out, compared to other entertainment venues the drink prices are quite reasonable at MPP.  

meh:

Schedule - wasn't able to see all the bands I wanted to due to scheduling conflicts..

that's inevitably going to happen at a festival, no way of winning that one  :-\

I'm guessin' the number of people allowed to stand in the pit equals the number of people sitting in the pit,  thus why the pit is never filled to capacity.  Which is fine me, bring able to stand away from the sweaty masses...

dunno if you saw the pit during lcdss, but there were definitely more people in there than could be seated.  it was packed.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #979 on: September 27, 2010, 12:26:13 pm »
M.I.A. did encore with Paper Planes.  That was pretty sweet.  I enjoyed her set but I knew what to expect from hearing the albums.
Damn? How passed when she left the stage? I didn't hear a hint of that and we stuck around and got some food.
‼‼?‼‼

tobyd

« Reply #980 on: September 27, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »

M.I.A. did encore with Paper Planes.  That was pretty sweet.  I enjoyed her set but I knew what to expect from hearing the albums.
Damn?
How passed when she left the stage? I didn't hear a hint of that and we stuck around and got some food.

Maybe a few minutes.  You weren't alone. Tons of folks bailed at the end of her set - presumably to catch LCDSS.  Oh well.  No big thang.  Love that tune though.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #981 on: September 27, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »
Yeah, i wanted to leave right before she started Bamboo Banger, mostly to catch the lights attached to the fence surrounding the Dance Forest, wanted to see what that place looked like at night. Heard about 10 mintues of LCD and was bored. Did anyone get a shirt printed at the State Farm club? I wanted to see what they were and didnt get a chance to get one.
‼‼?‼‼

dortiz

« Reply #982 on: September 27, 2010, 03:52:10 pm »
"free drinks/food in the tent -- its free "

Free drinks??

I was complaining because there were no free drinks and the food I was offered was a bag of chips. Loved everything else, just this was cheesy. Sounds like you had a better food and free drinks. I still treuly appreciated just having the instant access to the bar. Just being critical but at the same time totally happy.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #983 on: September 27, 2010, 04:12:28 pm »
dont know if there were different areas, but the VIP area on the far left of the stage at the pavilion had a tent with free drinks. forgot who that sponsor was weed something, maybe. i didnt see food there --- and no clue if there were different VIP areas.

Free drinks??

I was complaining because there were no free drinks and the food I was offered was a bag of chips. Loved everything else, just this was cheesy. Sounds like you had a better food and free drinks. I still treuly appreciated just having the instant access to the bar. Just being critical but at the same time totally happy.
HeyLa

joeposh

« Reply #984 on: September 27, 2010, 05:50:31 pm »
Did you have a badge or a wristband? I just assumed that the cabana/tented area was reserved for the people cruising around with the VMU/Gold/etc passes.

dont know if there were different areas, but the VIP area on the far left of the stage at the pavilion had a tent with free drinks. forgot who that sponsor was weed something, maybe. i didnt see food there --- and no clue if there were different VIP areas.

Free drinks??

Hieronymus

« Reply #985 on: September 27, 2010, 07:13:49 pm »

There were so many hipsters wearing ridiculously stupid things. It was hilarious.

There were actually very very few hipsters there. Some plain ol' ridiculously dressed folks, sure. Overall, though, it seemed like a reasonable (if very white-leaning) representation of the youngish DMV population. Which is a little surprising, considering the lineup.

That said, I was wearing reasonably fitted jeans in the 90-degree heat (and a white t-shirt eternally drenched with cold water -- not like I was going for fashion). Shorts are for women and children.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:16:04 pm by Hieronymus »

fatskippy

« Reply #986 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:34 am »
Very few hipsters?  I think half the crowd had on either full length skinny jeans, skinny jeans rolled up, or skinny jeans shorts.  It looked like half the guys there shopped in the women's section.  I can excuse little kids from dressing like idiots because they don't know any better but it's hilarious when people that are post-college age are such fashion victims.

dortiz

« Reply #987 on: September 28, 2010, 10:51:23 am »
"dont know if there were different areas, but the VIP area on the far left of the stage at the pavilion had a tent with free drinks. forgot who that sponsor was weed something, maybe. i didnt see food there --- and no clue if there were different VIP areas. "

I was not let in there but told to go to the bar on the right side of the pavilion by the couches. I only had the purple/white wrist band. I think the area you are talking about was where they told me only folks with the show could go. Again though, great time and the couches were perfect.

dortiz

« Reply #988 on: September 28, 2010, 10:53:00 am »
I wore jeans and my bike boots. While there were a few moments that I was hot it could not be offset by the mound of dirt that was caked on my boots and pants as I left them in my garage at the end of the night.

K8teebug

« Reply #989 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:33 am »
I had a badge and went back to the decky type lounge.  The only free drinks there were the Jeremiah Weed vodka drinks, but they were tasty.  Prices at the bars there were the same as everywhere else.  nice bathrooms though and it was fun to see people from various bands walking around...